Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel EVO II 8K crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuiMatos

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

So, this will not be a story with a happy ending. I got my new AUTEL EVO II 8K last Tuesday, close to lunch time, and spent the rest of the afternoon charging the batteries and remote, patching the aircraft to latest firmware, reading the manual (yes I do occasionally read them before I actual operate something ? ) and, shame on me, I even printed the Autel Explorer App manual, and registering myself on Autel website. After getting acquainted with most of the functionalities I went to the football filed across home and took it for a spin. I've never flown an aircraft with Obstacle Avoidance (OA) and I must admit I wasn't comfortable to rely on the machine to do the job a pilot is intended to do but it worked, at least most of the times. There were some situations where it seemed the sensors wouldn't detect some leafless branch trees so I took mental notice of it and kept trying all other functions: Dynamic Track,Parallel Track, Tripod Track, Viewpoint, Orbit, all of that worked seamless. Return to home works, although it land about a meter to the left from starting point. Decide not to try gesture mode as it's not something I was interested nor in Mission Planner and because I only had about 29% battery, took it to a short 500 meter run still under the 30 mt top high ceiling. About to end the flight, I got a 25% battery warning and brought it back to me.
Encouraged by the tests, went back home to replace the battery and because I live on the last floor on an apartment block with a big terrace decided to fly from there, as I've already done it before with other drones. This time went more boldly and took it further away and signal strength, maneuverability and aircraft performance were sublime. On of my neighbors saw the aircraft, we engaged on a conversation and took it back home and landed to show him.
Now for the ending story....

Re positioned the drone on the same spot as previously, but decided to fly in opposite direction, towards the football field. As I taking off and went over the building, I've noticed the aircraft stopped responding to my commands, made a left turn, increased speed and continue to fly without me being able to stop it. I just stood there, helpless seeing an expensive aircraft, making a wide left turn on, with increasing speeds up to 90 Km/h and o constant descent to doom. Any attempts I made to resume control weren't successful , joysticks comands, "Return Home" button, pause, nothing worked,
Here's a small video I captured from the Explorer App, as all your flights will be logged there, under Flight Records. This this piece of software came in handy, in order for me to discover where it crashed.

The result is: a total broken aircraft, as it surely plunged into the trees in speed of excess 90 Km/h (the Explorer App flight record says 94Km/h just before the impact)

I've reached for Autel Support team and I'm expecting to hear from them soon. Can't imagine what went wrong and what in hell happened for the aircraft to went berserk like this, but after flying with so many other "stupid" drones I wasn't counting on this. I know Tesla also had some problems with their autonomous cars but this is ridiculous :cool:

Evo IIs have been known to fly away. From what I've read, if you can prove that it flew away without input, they will replace it free of charge. You have already made the first step. Now is the waiting game and make sure to provide everything they ask for in order to expedite the exchange.

Reactions: phantomrain.org
Evo IIs have been known to fly away. From what I've read, if you can prove that it flew away without input, they will replace it free of charge. You have already made the first step. Now is the waiting game and make sure to provide everything they ask for in order to expedite the exchange.
I'm not really counting on Autel to accept this as a problem that but I thought this might help others deciding if they should really buy this aircraft. I was going to buy an Skydio 2 but there's a tremendous wait list so I've went with Autel's despite being more expensive. Let's see what the outcome of this situation is :-(.

Reactions: robertmarcos
Sorry to hear about your crash. Keep us updated on the outcome.
There was a fellow in Sweden who had one of the very first 8K models and his crashed with no control also. He was lucky and Autel replaced it.

Reactions: robertmarcos
Sorry to hear about your crash. Keep us updated on the outcome.
There was a fellow in Sweden who had one of the very first 8K models and his crashed with no control also. He was lucky and Autel replaced it.

Hi Agustine

I not the type of person who believes in luck and I'm really not expecting them to be reaching me. Last email I got stated:

" I'm very sorry to hear about the incident with your new aircraft. I will need to forward this on to our international team for additional support. Please look for another communication from that team following this. Thanks, and we look forward to finding a quick resolution for you."

It's been 3 days since and still no answer from anyone. I understand the present situation we're all living, with an ongoing pandemic doesn't help much but I'll be patient and keep you informed. I'm going on vacations to Madeira's Island on September
21st and this was one of the reasons I bought this aircraft, expecting to take some shots of the cliffs by the sea, also on the "levadas" which are paths we take across the hills which bring water to villages and the all scenario would be amazing to shoot with this drone. Oh well, I'll have to buy a new one, but I'm keeping away from any so called "intelligent". :)

Hi Agustine

I not the type of person who believes in luck and I'm really not expecting them to be reaching me. Last email I got stated:

" I'm very sorry to hear about the incident with your new aircraft. I will need to forward this on to our international team for additional support. Please look for another communication from that team following this. Thanks, and we look forward to finding a quick resolution for you."

It's been 3 days since and still no answer from anyone. I understand the present situation we're all living, with an ongoing pandemic doesn't help much but I'll be patient and keep you informed. I'm going on vacations to Madeira's Island on September
21st and this was one of the reasons I bought this aircraft, expecting to take some shots of the cliffs by the sea, also on the "levadas" which are paths we take across the hills which bring water to villages and the all scenario would be amazing to shoot with this drone. Oh well, I'll have to buy a new one, but I'm keeping away from any so called "intelligent". :)
@RuiMatos

where are you from and where did you buy your EVO II 8K?

Hi Guys, I am new to drones but wonder if my thought about what happened might be valuable..
If you watch the video, the nose of the bird is pointing at right angle to the arc, suggesting its flying mostly sideways.
Could one of the props have tapped the building and chipped just a very small amount as it took off.
This would cause the drone to try and correct which it would never would be able to do if the prop is damaged in just the right way.
A bit like loosing your balance and stumbling sideways before you hit the deck..

Anyway my 2 cents worth of what might have happened.

Hard to imagine a flyaway so close.. to controller..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller