Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Crash - what caused it***

Unfortunately the log files that you need are stored on the XSP and not on any phone or tablet. So since the XSP is at Autel there is very little I can do for the OP.

Getting the log files is pretty easy, reading them is the hard part put can be done ;)

How to pull the logs from the X-Star
Connect microUSB->USB cable to jack in the front of your XStar
and place near your PC
Power up RC, App then X-Star.
go to Flight Control Settings > Advanced Settings
Android-> Click on "Read" next to Read Flight Data
IOS->Click on "Enter" next to Flight Data Recorder
Connect the USB cable to your PC
Copy the files to another drive.
Unmount the X-Star from the computer

Disconnect the X-Star and power it down.
I figured the Starlink app left logs like Explorer app does. On the Evo, there is no way to get the logs straight from the drone. I know it does log inside it, but haven't figured how to mount it on the PC.

Tried asking for logs - they won’t give them to me.

Tried downloading logs before I sent it away. Drone turned on would not fully connect to allow me to access log. Tried 3 different OS’s and 2 different Linux distributions. Used Kali to test communication and drone would only ever register as serial connection. Attempted to connect via terminal to serial - tried a number of different baud rates and was unable to get any two way communication going.

Wondered if fact that camera and gimbal were broken off drone and pins from cable were pulled right from molex connector and did not have a spare cable this affected communication with Starlink for log download. Unfortunately was unable to determine if this was the case.

I can try getting logs again. I would like to go through them myself.

Kinda strange they wouldn't give them to you.
Can't see why a connection to the gimble would affect communication from pc to drone though. Maybe they had to replace a card to get it to connect? Sounds like you made as much of an effort to do it though big time.
Personally and this is just me, I think $300 bux would be worth it to have that bird back. If it gets fixed 100%.

If I had the $300 to fix it a I would think about it.

I could fix it myself easy enough if they were willing to send me the parts.

The fact that they seem to be so tight lipped and I cannot get anything in regards as to what caused the crash is starting to make me suspicious.

The $300 unfortunately only fixes what they identified as broken by the crash which was the same list I gave them during my initial communication with them.

Reactions: Tufargon
If I had the $300 to fix it a I would think about it.

I could fix it myself easy enough if they were willing to send me the parts.

The fact that they seem to be so tight lipped and I cannot get anything in regards as to what caused the crash is starting to make me suspicious.

The $300 unfortunately only fixes what they identified as broken by the crash which was the same list I gave them during my initial communication with them.
I agree Autel has always been stingy on parts (they always want you to send it in and have them fix it) and they are hard to find when you try to get them on your own like used units on ebay etc... I'm wondering if they have no idea what caused it and that's why they are telling you what they are. You got a tough decision to make buddy. Don't know what i'd do.

Tried asking for logs - they won’t give them to me.

Tried downloading logs before I sent it away. Drone turned on would not fully connect to allow me to access log. Tried 3 different OS’s and 2 different Linux distributions. Used Kali to test communication and drone would only ever register as serial connection. Attempted to connect via terminal to serial - tried a number of different baud rates and was unable to get any two way communication going.

Wondered if fact that camera and gimbal were broken off drone and pins from cable were pulled right from molex connector and did not have a spare cable this affected communication with Starlink for log download. Unfortunately was unable to determine if this was the case.

I can try getting logs again. I would like to go through them myself.

Since I have not downloaded my log files is a very long time I decided to download them. I found myself making a mistake by not following my own instructions that I gave you and the XSP's drive would not show up on my Windows 10 computer. Once I started over and followed the instructions I was able to copy the drive to my computers hard drive. Depending on how many flights you have this file can be very large.

One other thing that could have prevented you from getting the logs might have been the cable you were using. Sometimes they can be a pain in the butt.

Also it is very possible that Autel uses a different program to access the logs. We have long thought this to be true as they can tell if the XSP has been crashed before and the logs that we can see have no read out for crashes.

Reactions: Tufargon and Ansia
I seem to recall finding your instructions and other instructions in other threads and tried each of those a few times as well.

As for how Autel accesses the logs I suspect they take apart the drone and read them directly from the SD card that is in the drone. Was reading a website with a tear down of an XSP and it appears an SD card is used as storage device.

Been thinking about what I will do. If they are unable to tell me what caused the crash I will most likely not have them repair the drone. When I get it back I will see about getting logs directly from SD card myself to see if I can determine anything from them. For repairs, I suspect Autel did not actually build the camera, the DSP board or the fpc cable for the camera/gimbal. Then again maybe they did. I can at least try to see if I can track down the dsp board and fpc cable from some website in China where the drone was built. The white cable comes in their gimbal shocks spare kit you can order from their website.

I will also try to run a stress test on the motors.

I already had a spare shell for the just in case scenario.

If that does not work. Anyone want to buy a spare RC and two batteries in great condition.

Well good luck with what you decide to do.
There is a SDcard on the main board but really know need to take it out as its glued in there. LOL
The cable will connect to it and you still need the right programs to read the logs. The one we use was forked out from another program. Some of it works on the log files but I am sure there is plenty we have no access to.

DSC_2425.jpg

Will not work.
Just to easy and we spent many hours trying to get the new firmware to show. Sorry but you have no idea what some of us went through to get this working.
Many hours of our time was spent on this stuff.
It was great being part of the group that released this for the public to use for free.

Will not work.
Just to easy and we spent many hours trying to get the new firmware to show. Sorry but you have no idea what some of us went through to get this working.
Many hours of our time was spent on this stuff.
It was great being part of the group that released this for the public to use for free.
I have included one of my flight logs. I haven't been able to open it. Perhaps you have better luck.

Where did you get that file from? Has no extension on the end so I cannot tell what it might be. Is that some kind of Android file?
I took it straight from my android phone. This one and all like it are marked with the date of my flights in the app, so it has to be the logs. There are also folders with weird coded names, but they are empty.

Update:

1. I am unable to get the logs from them.
2. They have decided to leave cause of crash due to Firmware not being most recent - even though this does not explain how a drone flips vertical and fly's itself into the ground.
3. I have asked if they would just replace the FPC cable and DSP card and leave the shell cracked. I have been told - they are unable to repair just the camera - they are only allowed to perform all of the repairs. This is BS.

I am not paying them $130 USD to put a new shell on the drone when I have a new shell sitting at home. Maybe it is time for me to have them send it back - replace the shell and send it back in for repairs again.

Update:

1. I am unable to get the logs from them.
2. They have decided to leave cause of crash due to Firmware not being most recent - even though this does not explain how a drone flips vertical and fly's itself into the ground.
3. I have asked if they would just replace the FPC cable and DSP card and leave the shell cracked. I have been told - they are unable to repair just the camera - they are only allowed to perform all of the repairs. This is BS.

I am not paying them $130 USD to put a new shell on the drone when I have a new shell sitting at home. Maybe it is time for me to have them send it back - replace the shell and send it back in for repairs again.
That sucks. Wonder if you could just send your shell in to them to put on?

I asked about that - what I have to do is do an RMA to see if they will accept a return on that shell. Then if the refund me the money they will charge me again for a shell and the full cost of labour. I was quoted 2 hours of labour for the shell and replacement of FPC cable, DSP board and shell. Not sure why it will take 2 hours to do that but yeah.

Reactions: Tufargon

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy