Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Crash - what caused it***

DThomas

Reaction score
A couple weeks back was taking XSP out for its 11th flight. With over 50% left in battery drone quit responding flipped 90 to horizontal and flew itself straight into the ground.

I was unable to retrieve logs. Contacted Autel for help as drone has less than 300 minutes of flight time. As per process was asked to send in drone and they would take a look and let me know what caused it.

Got email today stating reviewed logs this is what needs repairs. Nothing about what caused the crash. Parts needing replaced do not tell me anything about what caused crash and is list of what you would expect - shell top and bottom, DSP board, gimbal white cable, gimbal fpc cable.

Do not have the money to pay repairs. Autel will not sell me the dsp board or either of the cables.

Also not knowing what caused the crash why pay to repair without knowing what brought it down when it could happen again.

Not really worth it if is going to cost nearly $100 per flight.

A couple weeks back was taking XSP out for its 11th flight. With over 50% left in battery drone quit responding flipped 90 to horizontal and flew itself straight into the ground.

I was unable to retrieve logs. Contacted Autel for help as drone has less than 300 minutes of flight time. As per process was asked to send in drone and they would take a look and let me know what caused it.

Got email today stating reviewed logs this is what needs repairs. Nothing about what caused the crash. Parts needing replaced do not tell me anything about what caused crash and is list of what you would expect - shell top and bottom, DSP board, gimbal white cable, gimbal fpc cable.

Do not have the money to pay repairs. Autel will not sell me the dsp board or either of the cables.

Also not knowing what caused the crash why pay to repair without knowing what brought it down when it could happen again.

Not really worth it if is going to cost nearly $100 per flight.
Welcome to the forums!

What brought your drone down was the battery. The percentage you are given is an estimate of how much juice it has before being put under load. Once you take off and that load starts, that 50% can be realistically 20%. The reason drone manufacturers insist to always fly with 100% battery.

How old is this battery? Does it puff up when hot? Did you verify each individual cell and their current voltage?

Do you use android or apple to fly your xsp? If on Android, you can upload your logs and one of the XSP gurus can help you out.

Battery was at 100% when started flight - I was bringing drone back to land. Had already been flying for a while.

This battery is no more than a year old if that. I have two that I received within the last year. One a year ago and one about 6 months ago. Battery has never been below 15% after flying and if drone sitting is charged every month to month and a half.

Cells do not expand when heated. No flags for anything with voltage prior to flight.

Would this not of been in the logs when they analyzed them? And if so would this not of been reported to me other than “We analyzes your logs and this is what needs repaired...”

"drone quit responding flipped 90 to horizontal and flew itself straight into the ground" absolutely sounds like a motor failure. A flip is usually caused by a motor failure or prop failure.I'd email (or call) them back asking specifically what caused it. If they did not mention the battery then it's probably not that. I assumed you took off with 50% battery with your first post and that's a no no if you did. You have to definately charge the battery before each flight within 24 hours i'd say or sudden battery drop can happen. It's happened to me and I was lucky that it was close enough for me to bring in before it got to zero.

Would this not of been in the logs when they analyzed them? And if so would this not of been reported to me other than “We analyzes your logs and this is what needs repaired...”
Yes it will be in the logs.

Battery failure or low battery will cause it to land or drop, not flip.

The only time I have seen an XSP, it flipped while coming down to land. When he got the battery out, it was so bulged, it was amazing it didn't explode mid flight. So I figured something along those lines. The motor or propeller failure makes more sense.

Reactions: Tufargon
The only time I have seen an XSP, it flipped while coming down to land. When he got the battery out, it was so bulged, it was amazing it didn't explode mid flight. So I figured something along those lines. The motor or propeller failure makes more sense.
It could be battery but I highly doubt it.
OP, when it flipped and hit the ground could you still hear it running?

Yeah. When it flipped I could still hear it running saw blades spinning. But was to focused on trying to regain control to decipher a pitch difference from there being less motors running.

I have asked Autel CS a couple times since they sent invoice as to what cause was and not getting an answer.

Yeah. When it flipped I could still hear it running saw blades spinning. But was to focused on trying to regain control to decipher a pitch difference from there being less motors running.

I have asked Autel CS a couple times since they sent invoice as to what cause was and not getting an answer.
I'd call. Sounds like the motor caused it.

Called and chatted with CS. They said based on what they were given by the technicians there was nothing given to them about the crash or what the logs said. All they were told was what was damaged during the crash and that the firmware was not the most recent version.

I asked why I would pay to fix what was damaged in the crash when the underlying reason for the crash is not known. Seems kind of foolish. Autel CS was more concerned with if I was going to pay for repairs.

As it stands now they said during their
next meeting with the technicians they would see if they could get more information. And this is where it sits.

Interesting. I think I would have asked if there was a motor damaged or needed to be replaced as well as the rest of the stuff.
You said the cost would be nearly $100 bux? I think that is very fair though considering what needs to be repaired. You gotta remember too, It is out of warranty. They'll probably update the firmware for you too which should make a huge difference in how it flies.

I did ask about the motors as that would be what would explain the flipping vertical. They said they have no information bout that.

I then asked if I had it repaired and it was motors and then it crashed again I would be back to the same spot.

Current quote for repairs is $230. I am Canadian so that is closer to $300 Canadian.

The $100 is what it has since cost per flight. I paid $1100 for drone and spare battery and have only flown it 11 times due to location and regulations in Canada.

I hear ya. I know exchange and customs kills a lot for Canada (I'm from there).
Seems like a high price for a used drone.
Also they have to test it before they send it back so if there is a bad motor they should notice it pretty quick.

Reactions: Ansia
Do you use android or apple to fly your xsp? If on Android, you can upload your logs and one of the XSP gurus can help you out.

Unfortunately the log files that you need are stored on the XSP and not on any phone or tablet. So since the XSP is at Autel there is very little I can do for the OP.

Getting the log files is pretty easy, reading them is the hard part put can be done ;)

How to pull the logs from the X-Star
Connect microUSB->USB cable to jack in the front of your XStar
and place near your PC
Power up RC, App then X-Star.
go to Flight Control Settings > Advanced Settings
Android-> Click on "Read" next to Read Flight Data
IOS->Click on "Enter" next to Flight Data Recorder
Connect the USB cable to your PC
Copy the files to another drive.
Unmount the X-Star from the computer

Disconnect the X-Star and power it down.

Reactions: Ansia and Tufargon
Unfortunately the log files that you need are stored on the XSP and not on any phone or tablet. So since the XSP is at Autel there is very little I can do for the OP.

Getting the log files is pretty easy, reading them is the hard part put can be done ;)

How to pull the logs from the X-Star
Connect microUSB->USB cable to jack in the front of your XStar
and place near your PC
Power up RC, App then X-Star.
go to Flight Control Settings > Advanced Settings
Android-> Click on "Read" next to Read Flight Data
IOS->Click on "Enter" next to Flight Data Recorder
Connect the USB cable to your PC
Copy the files to another drive.
Unmount the X-Star from the computer

Disconnect the X-Star and power it down.
Wonder if he could ask for the log files from them? Just a thought.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy