Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Clarification on flying?

That has been my understanding. IE. Hobbyists can fly in class g airspace with strobes. There is an exam or training coming that will be required when it is implemented. The drone must be registered if it is over .55 grams.

So basically anywhere the FAA map shows no restrictions is uncontrolled airspace up to 400'?

I think that is correct, but I have never seen it in writing. So when I look at AirMap and it’s green I am assuming (maybe a risky choice) that it is class g. The controlled airspace is always airports, fed parks, red areas in AirMap and then NoTAMs which change the airspace periodically.

I think that is correct, but I have never seen it in writing. So when I look at AirMap and it’s green I am assuming (maybe a risky choice) that it is class g. The controlled airspace is always airports, fed parks, red areas in AirMap and then NoTAMs which change the airspace periodically.

Yeah, I see the local air base restricted area where they decide to be flying at for that day or week.

Heck, I think they even break their rules...jokers be flying those A-10s at tree top level.

So basically anywhere the FAA map shows no restrictions is uncontrolled airspace up to 400'?

www.skyvector.com Knowing airspace is critical to safety and not getting fined into the poor house. Expect to see the FAA start to crack down hard on airspace violators in the coming years.

www.skyvector.com Knowing airspace is critical to safety and not getting fined into the poor house. Expect to see the FAA start to crack down hard on airspace violators in the coming years.
Specifically these future drones with the remote ID built-in. They will be able to obtain real live transmission of the drone when they are in the air.

Specifically these future drones with the remote ID built-in. They will be able to obtain real live transmission of the drone when they are in the air.

Someone will. I doubt manned pilots will be. ADS-B just became mandatory, but remote ID isn't ADS-B. Seems like a way for UAS pilots to get hit with fines.

On the first video, it seems interesting how the helicopter's rotor isn't spining at all and when the drone turns around, it misteriously dissapears.

The second one had a great movie budget. They should send some of that budget my way.
Are you suggesting that the first one is faked? It's a Bell, hauling ***, probably 100 kts. Follow the shore line. You can see it above the beach.

Are you suggesting that the first one is faked? It's a Bell, hauling ***, probably 100 kts. Follow the shore line. You can see it above the beach.
A helo going at that speed right under the drone, it would have made that drone shake or even fall of the sky. You can see it coming, but as soon as it passes the drone, it dissapears. You can make wonders with a good video editor.

A helo going at that speed right under the drone, it would have made that drone shake or even fall of the sky. You can see it coming, but as soon as it passes the drone, it dissapears. You can make wonders with a good video editor.
The rotors speed in the video can be explained by frame rate sync, the helicopter being hard to see is simply time over distance, and it looked like the drone did drop a few feet in altitude after the pass. Not really sure who benefits from a faked video. Nevertheless, after reading the comments section of the video, it seems like a lot of people were calling it a fake. That doesn't bode well for the safe hobbyists. Seems like a lack of concern for the lives of the airborne passengers.

The rotors speed in the video can be explained by frame rate sync, the helicopter being hard to see is simply time over distance, and it looked like the drone did drop a few feet in altitude after the pass. Not really sure who benefits from a faked video. Nevertheless, after reading the comments section of the video, it seems like a lot of people were calling it a fake. That doesn't bode well for the safe hobbyists. Seems like a lack of concern for the lives of the airborne passengers.
Simple. A news network was the one who uploaded the video. Since lately there has been a lot of press about drones, it's a great way to get views.

Simple. A news network was the one who uploaded the video. Since lately there has been a lot of press about drones, it's a great way to get views.
Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through to get 53k views...

Just got off the horn with my FSDO in SLC. They said the same thing. Non-certificated UAS operators do fall under 107 and are prohibited from night flight. Certificated 107 operators need a waiver. The process is on the FAA UAS Web Portal You'll need to fill out online forms and send physical copies to D.C. And, this is something I was unaware of, but Part 101 was rescinded.

I hope this clears all this up.

-Crusader

Example 107.29 Waiver

Last edited:
Reactions: Heckmaniac`s Drone
Just got off the horn with my FSDO in SLC. They said the same thing. Non-certificated UAS operators do fall under 107 and are prohibited from night flight. Certificated 107 operators need a waiver. The process is on the FAA UAS Web Portal You'll need to fill out online forms and send physical copies to D.C. And, this is something I was unaware of, but Part 101 was rescinded.

I hope this clears all this up.

-Crusader

Example 107.29 Waiver
Even in class G airspace?

Yeah, period. Full stop.

I made sure to ask. Now that all UAS pilots are covered under 107, 107.29 applies. No waivers will be granted without the 107 Cert.

-Crusader
Ok guess I'll be calling my local FSDO tomorrow to hear for myself, as there are dozens of sites out there that are fairly recent saying it is legal in class G as a hobbiest (so some significant miscommunication going on). Appreciate everyone's help getting to the bottom of this - and once I confirm I will stop flying at night (as I was always under the impression I was following the rules).

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hippo35