Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Clarification on flying?

To my understanding, once you are 107, you have to abide by 107 regulations. Like a cop is always a cop, even off duty. My 107 expires this year. Once it does, if regulations don't change, I'll get a couple night flights, before retesting.

From my understanding if you are 107 and intend to only fly as a 101 or we should now say recreation flyer you need to follow all those rules and cannot change through out your flight.

To my understanding, once you are 107, you have to abide by 107 regulations. Like a cop is always a cop, even off duty. My 107 expires this year. Once it does, if regulations don't change, I'll get a couple night flights, before retesting.
Unfortunately once again Ansia - I'm getting different interpretation on that. I've been told and can reference many other sites that tell me you can choose to fly as a hobbiest or under part 107 - depends on your intent at takeoff and that you remain within those parameters until landing. Meaning I can't do a flight stating as 107 and then change to hobbiest mid flight - although how you could prove it either way I have no idea. Maybe we can start a new topic on this question so as not to get too far off the OP question on this one.

Last edited:
PART 107 PILOT FLYING UNDER PART 101 RULES. Hopefully this will answer this question once and for all.

Here is the question that I sent to the FAA. Why it takes a week to get a reply is beyond me but here it is nonetheless.

MY EMAIL TO THEM........Hello,
I have had a couple of telephone conversations with Gerald from the FAA Drone division (844 359-6982) as I’ve been seeking a definite answer to a Part 107 question.

The Question; Can a Part 107 certificated pilot fly for recreational purposes without being hired or without being compensated and fly under Part 101 rules?

Gerald has stated on separate occasions that the answer to that question is NO. Further, he stated that once you become a Part 107 pilot, you can fly recreationally but you still have to fly under Part 107 rules.

Kindly respond with the official word on this so that I can fly with the confidence that I understand the rules.
Thank you.

HERE IS THE OFFICIAL RESPONSE
Sir,
Here is the clarification between 101 and 107

"Each flight has to be conducted under one or the other (can’t start out as a 101 and then say midflight that you are now 107). If he is operating under 101, he must meet every part of 101, otherwise the operation defaults to 107."

Thank you for contacting the FAA's Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Support Center.

You need to follow rec rules if flying other then 107 which means no commercial work.
My local FSDO explained it to me this way.

"You know how there are different categories in drivers licenses. Well once you are Part 107, is like that. You are not restricted to just 1 type of flight like the Rec Flyers are. The only difference is if you are flying for fun, you can'y switch to commercial mid flight and always follow 107 rules no matter what type of flying you are doing."

So I have always flown like this. I see now it changes from state to state, depending on how well your local FSDO is informed, but I tend to follow my local ones, since they are the ones who will judge if I broke a regulation or not.

PART 107 PILOT FLYING UNDER PART 101 RULES. Hopefully this will answer this question once and for all.

Here is the question that I sent to the FAA. Why it takes a week to get a reply is beyond me but here it is nonetheless.

MY EMAIL TO THEM........Hello,
I have had a couple of telephone conversations with Gerald from the FAA Drone division (844 359-6982) as I’ve been seeking a definite answer to a Part 107 question.

The Question; Can a Part 107 certificated pilot fly for recreational purposes without being hired or without being compensated and fly under Part 101 rules?

Gerald has stated on separate occasions that the answer to that question is NO. Further, he stated that once you become a Part 107 pilot, you can fly recreationally but you still have to fly under Part 107 rules.

Kindly respond with the official word on this so that I can fly with the confidence that I understand the rules.
Thank you.

HERE IS THE OFFICIAL RESPONSE
Sir,
Here is the clarification between 101 and 107

"Each flight has to be conducted under one or the other (can’t start out as a 101 and then say midflight that you are now 107). If he is operating under 101, he must meet every part of 101, otherwise the operation defaults to 107."

Thank you for contacting the FAA's Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Support Center.

Ansia
Did you not watch the last episode?
This is the way

LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Ansia
:) glad we are on the same page LOL
View attachment 6010
In all seriousness, this back and forth from all of us with all our sources and information is of huge value and extremely useful for those of us that have questions. I really do appreciate everyone's patience and professionalism coming to some consensus and helping clarify. Glad to be part of this group.

In all seriousness, this back and forth from all of us with all our sources and information is of huge value and extremely useful for those of us that have questions. I really do appreciate everyone's patience and professionalism coming to some consensus and helping clarify. Glad to be part of this group.
You know what the funny part is? @Agustine is Canadian and doesn't need to follow FAA regulations, yet he is more knowledgeable on the matter than most of us US citizens.

You know what the funny part is? @Agustine is Canadian and doesn't need to follow FAA regulations, yet he is more knowledgeable on the matter than most of us US citizens.
Very true - but I will note that all of my responses in this string were correct as well, I just didn't know it at first (lol), so it didn't count...

I try to keep informed just because of the different forums I moderate at. Sometimes I get my answers wrong and don't mind being corrected. One of the hardest forums I try to stay on top of is the Parrotpilots forum, most of them are from Europe and with all the different language's it can get confusing LOL

Reactions: Ansia and macoman
I try to keep informed just because of the different forums I moderate at. Sometimes I get my answers wrong and don't mind being corrected. One of the hardest forums I try to stay on top of is the Parrotpilots forum, most of them are from Europe and with all the different language's it can get confusing LOL
Sorry OP for changing the subject, but isn't the regulations there based on a centered EU regulation?

Part of a conversation I was having from a fellow from over there, not sure how much of this is true but it could be.

"Our PM wants out of everything EU, no alignment with any EU regulations, he wants to leave EASA and negotiate similar to other non EU block countries, I suspect something will happen, but these things will take time, I don't think they've thought it through. "

Part of a conversation I was having from a fellow from over there, not sure how much of this is true but it could be.

"Our PM wants out of everything EU, no alignment with any EU regulations, he wants to leave EASA and negotiate similar to other non EU block countries, I suspect something will happen, but these things will take time, I don't think they've thought it through. "
What do they refer as PM? In my opinion, having an unified regulation makes it so much easier. That is why most countries have similar regulations.

Nvm, it's prime minister. OP is british, right?

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Unfortunately once again Ansia - in getting different interpretation on that. I've been told and can reference many other sites that tell me you can choose to fly as a hobbiest or under part 107 - depends on your intent at takeoff and that you remain within those parameters until landing. Meaning I can't do a flight stating as 107 and then change to hobbiest mid flight - although how you could prove it either way I have no idea. Maybe we can start a new topic on this question so as not to get too far off the OP question on this one.
Nah, it is ok. This is part of it.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials