Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Breaks in video recording

Breece77

Reaction score
I just got my EVO and flew it for the first time. What an amazing drone, I am coming over from DJI. My question is has anyone had issues with broken up video segments. I took out the SD card after the flight and put it in my computer to look at the footage and it recorded 4 video segments, not one continuous 15 minute video. That makes it tough to put together in editing. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Mine does this also, and I'm wondering the same thing. I am new to drones in general, so I just assumed that is how it works. I'll be watching to see what the experts say...

I just got my EVO and flew it for the first time. What an amazing drone, I am coming over from DJI. My question is has anyone had issues with broken up video segments. I took out the SD card after the flight and put it in my computer to look at the footage and it recorded 4 video segments, not one continuous 15 minute video. That makes it tough to put together in editing. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Standard. Has to do with the way the card records video. Just import them all into one timeline on your editing software.

Yeah, for some reason it record a maximum of 4GB of video and then after that it created another part and so on.

Yeah, for some reason it record a maximum of 4GB of video and then after that it created another part and so on.
@macoman Fat32 will only let you record 4 gigs. I don't think I have ever shot scenes more that a few minutes with the EVO but in my other video cameras I format to exFAT which does away with any file length limitations. Not sure if this will work with the EVO but you may want to give it a try. You would need to format your card on an external device like your desktop or laptop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marcle and macoman
@macoman Fat32 will only let you record 4 gigs. I don't think I have ever shot scenes more that a few minutes with the EVO but in my other video cameras I format to exFAT which does away with any file length limitations. Not sure if this will work with the EVO but you may want to give it a try. You would need to format your card on an external device like your desktop or laptop.
It won't help. Autel has already said this is the way it records and it can't be changed.

Reactions: gjkozy and macoman
It won't help. Autel has already said this is the way it records and it can't be changed.
@Tufargon That is unfortunate. It reminds me of the AVCHD mode we went through some years ago. When I would get footage to edit from shooters using the codec for long format projects it would drive me crazy. Had to assemble all the separate files that sometimes would drop frames at the beginning or end of the clips.

Reactions: gjkozy
@Tufargon That is unfortunate. It reminds me of the AVCHD mode we went through some years ago. When I would get footage to edit from shooters using the codec for long format projects it would drive me crazy. Had to assemble all the separate files that sometimes would drop frames at the beginning or end of the clips.
Agreed.

DJI does the exact same thing. If the file gets to large, the drone won't be able to handle the huge file and it will end up with frame skipping or corruption of the video. A simple solution to a big problem.

Reactions: gjkozy and macoman
My X-Star limit seems to be 3.76G but if I edit the separate clips together, it doesn't seem to drop a frame at all, just continues on with a new file.

Depends on the editing software. I used Davinci Resolve and it was hard to mate frames. With Premiere Pro, I just load from the media folder and it puts all the clips together. My Canon cameras only go to 4G max too. When shooting 4K 60, you can hit that mark quick.

These days I plan my flights and label each one so I know I have completed works as requested. I seldom have a scene over 3 minutes. I think it's easier to edit this way vs one huge clip. Then if that clip is going 12 minutes and you have a problem? you have a problem.

My X-Star limit seems to be 3.76G but if I edit the separate clips together, it doesn't seem to drop a frame at all, just continues on with a new file.
The device is not dropping the frames, it's the editing software that can't reassemble clips into a larger clip without dropping a few frames. Its even worse on cameras when recording audio. It comes down to the software you choose to edit video. Another problem comes from people editing on devices that are not close to being capable of rendering 4K 60 footage. Better to shoot higher, export lower

I am a new owner of a EVO and was a little surprised that it recorded 4K in 4:48 minute segments. When watching youtube the videos are seamless which made me think that it would record until I hit stop. The drone flies great.

I am a new owner of a EVO and was a little surprised that it recorded 4K in 4:48 minute segments. When watching youtube the videos are seamless which made me think that it would record until I hit stop. The drone flies great.
Don’t worry about the 4.48. Think that has something to do with how the SDs are formatted. It will keep recording until you press stop or the card is full. Plays back seamlessly.

Because the cards are formatted as Fat 32 it will only allow up to I think 4 Gig file size so it gets broken down but like Nightbat2 said it will play or stitch together in any video editor seamlessly.

Don’t worry about the 4.48. Think that has something to do with how the SDs are formatted. It will keep recording until you press stop or the card is full. Plays back seamlessly.
When I look in the sd card, there are multiple files instead of one big one. I would have to load each file seperately to view? For a 15 minute flight I would have 4 files instead of one.

When I look in the sd card, there are multiple files instead of one big one. I would have to load each file seperately to view? For a 15 minute flight I would have 4 files instead of one.
Yes, if you transfer them to your tablet or computer. Load them into an editing program and they become seamless. You won’t lose anything you shot.

Yes, if you transfer them to your tablet or computer. Load them into an editing program and they become seamless. You won’t lose anything you shot.
Do you have any sugestion for a free program that could do this?

Do you have any sugestion for a free program that could do this?
Depends on your computer. I mostly use iMovie, which comes free with a Mac or iPad, and I purchased LumaFusion for $20 for when I need to do something more sophisticated. I think there are free versions of da IncivResolve and Filmora for the PC, but someone else would have to advise you on that.

With most any if not all editing software all you do is drag each clip in the sequence you want them in the timeline and when you export it it puts them together.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo