Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Best location for Lume Cube Anti-Collision Light (that won't interfere with GPS)

DaveBurbank

Reaction score
I want to Velcro a Lume Cube Anti-Collision Light to the top of my EVO II Pro v2 but I don't want to put it in a location which might interfere with GPS connectivity or anything else. Is the location in the attached picture safe to use?

Attachments

• PXL_20211028_141033941.jpg
    PXL_20211028_141033941.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
Don't you want it on the bottom instead? So you can actually see it?
You can turn the built in bottom light on to take of being seen from below via the explorer app, turn from auto to flash 1 sec or flash 2 sec. Another option is to put velcro on battery and attach to back of battery.

I want to Velcro a Lume Cube Anti-Collision Light to the top of my EVO II Pro v2 but I don't want to put it in a location which might interfere with GPS connectivity or anything else. Is the location in the attached picture safe to use?

This was discussed in some detail in this thread. Long story short, your chances if interfering with the GPS is next to none no matter where you mount it and in that thread I also provide some easy ways to prove it/test it before you attach it with Velcro.

This was discussed in some detail in this thread. Long story short, your chances if interfering with the GPS is next to none no matter where you mount it and in that thread I also provide some easy ways to prove it/test it before you attach it with Velcro.
Thank you. I will read that thread. Also, I folder some tin foil into a 2x2 inch square and moved it around the top surface of the Evo II Pro while looking at the GPS signal on the remote. Doing that really helps demonstrate where the GPS antenna is. And, like I was told earlier today by another user I'll mount the light (using industrial Velcro) as far front as feasible.

Interesting, thanks.

Is it a legal requirement? Or just an advisory / recommendation?

Which country are you in?
For the US:

There is not a legal requirement as to where the flash strobe is located other than the aircraft/UAS e.g. drone has to be visible from at least 3 statue miles. Good practice would be to place strobes so can be seen from different directions.

Here's the current rules, regulations, specificly:

107.29(2) Operations at night.
"The small unmanned aircraft has lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least 3 statute miles that has a flash rate sufficient to avoid a collision. The remote pilot in command may reduce the intensity of, but may not extinguish, the anti-collision lighting if he or she determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to do so."

For the US:

There is not a legal requirement as to where the flash strobe is located other than the aircraft/UAS e.g. drone has to be visible from at least 3 statue miles. Good practice would be to place strobes so can be seen from different directions.

Here's the current rules, regulations, specificly:

107.29(2) Operations at night.
"The small unmanned aircraft has lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least 3 statute miles that has a flash rate sufficient to avoid a collision. The remote pilot in command may reduce the intensity of, but may not extinguish, the anti-collision lighting if he or she determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to do so."
please clarify if part 107 regulations such as 107.29(2) apply to recreational pilots.

You can test this with just your hand, that's what I did. Covering the aft section of the nose dropped 5 to 7 sats, but then it was able to find them again given a few moments. It's pretty resilient. The ideal spot on top is as far forward as possible.

I use the vifly strobe, it's cheap and only 6 grams. Tiny thing and no issues whatsoever in that position. The only gotcha is the velcro it comes with just isn't very good, so you'll want to bring your own to have confidence it'll stay on for more than a few flights.

Reactions: DaveBurbank
please clarify if part 107 regulations such as 107.29(2) apply to recreational pilots.
Good question, as a recreational pilot can you fly at night and do you need to have lights on your aircraft? Yes.

Do part 107 pilots still need a daylight waiver? No, however you have to have taken the new 107 free online recurrency test to fly at night now, as well as have lights on your aircraft.

Recreational pilots fall under 44809 and its rules (see here) which are a "carve out" which also include those of the community based organization (CBO) being flown under. So here's the catch, normally if as a recreational pilot you are flying under the 44809 rules or those of a CBO, you would not be flying under 107 rules, likewise you can not apply for waivers or special airspace authorizations such as flying above published altitudes (this includes not flying higher than 400' when within 400' of a structure), or in NFZs.

As an fyi, fwiw, The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST) for recreational flyers is online and free, check if out if you have not done so already. Also visit the FAA Safety site (e.g. faasafety.gov) which has a ton of information, tutorials and links for UAS as well as regular aircraft and related topics.

Autel has told me directly that they don't support/approve of any mounting scenario for any lighting system that isn't their Foxfury contraption.

Also, when scrolling through the Better Business complaints for Autel, they have countered service denials/warranty work complaints for at least one machine that had Velcro on it indicating a Firehouse mount. They indicated the refusal to support was because the light could interfere with function.

To what end? 🤔

Even if they could see a tiny 3mm wide LED light from that distance, at that approach speed, an aircraft is not going to change course to avoid a drone? 🤷‍♂️

To what end? 🤔

Even if they could see a tiny 3mm wide LED light from that distance, at that approach speed, an aircraft is not going to change course to avoid a drone? 🤷‍♂️
I think this thread is drifting off topic. I prefer the light on top so local helicopter traffic which may be flying quite low will have an opportunity to see the drone's strobe from 3 miles away. I'm not flying in restricted airspace, but there is occasional helicopter traffic from air-medivac and nighttime utility inspection (infrared scanning for steam leaks), etc.

Reactions: JTZ
Is the heli pilot required to take evasive action then?

We don't have any requirements like this over here in the UK, fascinating stuff, thanks for sharing!

Simple. In the US, it's required that the light is on TOP for night runs.

OP, I have my light placed where you have shown. I have No GPS or precision landing problems.

Good question, as a recreational pilot can you fly at night and do you need to have lights on your aircraft? Yes.

Do part 107 pilots still need a daylight waiver? No, however you have to have taken the new 107 free online recurrency test to fly at night now, as well as have lights on your aircraft.

Recreational pilots fall under 44809 and its rules (see here) which are a "carve out" which also include those of the community based organization (CBO) being flown under. So here's the catch, normally if as a recreational pilot you are flying under the 44809 rules or those of a CBO, you would not be flying under 107 rules, likewise you can not apply for waivers or special airspace authorizations such as flying above published altitudes (this includes not flying higher than 400' when within 400' of a structure), or in NFZs.

As an fyi, fwiw, The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST) for recreational flyers is online and free, check if out if you have not done so already. Also visit the FAA Safety site (e.g. faasafety.gov) which has a ton of information, tutorials and links for UAS as well as regular aircraft and related topics.
sorry im still confused, you answered a lot of questions i already thought i knew except the one i don't know for sure: as recreational pilot, am i required by law to display a qualified strobe light on my drone when flying at night? i know what i do which is yes i use a strobe, my question is am i breaking the law if i do not? i've heard so many different answers and i realize the situation is always changing over the months and years but wanted to get your take on it.

thanks for all the links and such but most of us have been flying drones for years and have been to those websites a dozen times and all of us have taken the trust and put the cert in your pouch, we don't need the links for now....thanks. as i said some of the topics are confusing and/or conflicting so if you prefer not to weigh in and would just rather refer us to the rules....that's fine.

To what end? 🤔

i agree and in fact, if a manned aircraft has to divert in order to avoid a collision with your drone (which may or may not be in the path), that's not going to be a good outcome for the drone pilot.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blindhout