Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo 2 Best Strobe Mount Location

Eagle928

Reaction score
In a month or so many of us will be flying legally at night. Does anyone have a best practices method and location for attaching a strobe light?I was thinking on top upper level of the two levels in front of the front top sensor looks to be a good spot but I'm not sure.

Evo2.disassembled.png

I've mounted mine in the big clear orange space in front of the sensors as shown in the attached image. For the strobe itself I have the Firehouse Arc V anti-collision strobe light. The Firehouse Arc V would not fit anywhere else.

EVOII-6K.jpg

My only concern with that location is the GPS sensor under the body panel. It may have zero effect or it may have a little.

Thank you. Apparently not many plan to fly at night which is fine too.

I use the built in strobe for the underside, also mount one on the battery near the power button, plus top. For the external strobes I use firehouse, various colors to help with orientation of aircraft even during the daytime.

My intent was to purchase a Firehouse strobe and mount it to the top of the EVO II as shown above. After reading the posts in this thread, I decided to reach out to Autel and ask specifically about safe mounding locations for a strobe. Of course I knew about the FoxFury mount and lighting, but at $200, I was looking for something a little less expensive. Firehouse's sub-$40 solutions seemed light just the ticket. Made in America and they have great reviews. I made this point to Autel and there was their response:

Thank you for contacting Autel Robotics. The FoxFury Lighting System is approved by Autel Robotics as it does not interfere with any onboard positioning components, and is appropriately balanced. Mounting anything on the top could interfere with these components which is why we suggest the approved lighting system. I do apologize for any inconvenience.

Now that I've asked the question, I feel that I can't mount the Firehouse strobe. If I were to have an accident where I blamed the drone and it went to Autel for warranty work, they could blame the obstructed GPS antenna and deny my claim.

Just something to consider. It may never be an issue, but then again it may.

Reactions: Eagle928
My intent was to purchase a Firehouse strobe and mount it to the top of the EVO II as shown above. After reading the posts in this thread, I decided to reach out to Autel and ask specifically about safe mounding locations for a strobe. Of course I knew about the FoxFury mount and lighting, but at $200, I was looking for something a little less expensive. Firehouse's sub-$40 solutions seemed light just the ticket. Made in America and they have great reviews. I made this point to Autel and there was their response:

Now that I've asked the question, I feel that I can't mount the Firehouse strobe. If I were to have an accident where I blamed the drone and it went to Autel for warranty work, they could blame the obstructed GPS antenna and deny my claim.

I wonder if attaching the light to one or two legs would be better. I don't accept there are not some spots on the E2 that would be fine for the less than $200 lights. I think we are being lied to on this one.

It sounds like Autel Robotics is using this as an excuse to deny claims. The optics on this alone will hurt them badly.

If you look at this Foxfury lighting system it doesn't do the job needed for collision avoidance. Autel needs to rethink this. These lights can be seen from the front but not the back, bottom, or top. Also the strap going across the top would indeed do the same thing as a piece of velcro and a small strobe light.

This would be fine for straight ahead light shining to see at night in a very limited way.

Perhaps it would be best to simply let the onboard strobe lights on the legs be all the light it has at night rather than risk one of these strapped things or an optional strobe velcro'd on.

FoxFuryLights.png

Last edited:
Technically the FoxFury D3060s do meet the FAA requirements according to the FoxFury website (this was confirmed by Autel):

That being said, they're still nearly twice the price of the Firehouse strobes, if all I wanted was a strobe.

Technically the FoxFury D3060s do meet the FAA requirements according to the FoxFury website (this was confirmed by Autel):

That being said, they're still nearly twice the price of the Firehouse strobes, if all I wanted was a strobe.
Hmmm... maybe in one direction they do meet FAA requirements but that means they only adhere to a rule; not the spirit of the rule which is visibility in all directions.

If you buy this foxfury as a kit you are still spending $200; up to 9 times more than a strobe. You can buy tiny strobe lights for a little over $20 that really do meet the FAA requirements and can be seen in all directions except below if mounted on top and above if mounted on the bottom. Since the strobes are supposed to help the drone be seen at night by manned aircraft it makes sense to put them on top because manned aircraft "should" be flying above 500'.

I think Autel is relying on the existing onboard strobes on the drone to provide visibility in all directions so why do we need additional lighting at all if that is the case?

These FF lights appear to be fancy flashlights that only point forward. Seems to me something like this would be more effective because it points downward where a drone camera would be pointed if looking for something in the dark.
dronelight.jpg

The FoxFury lights are actually two-in-one. They have forward and side lights which operate independent of one another. I'm not saying the FoxFury lights are bad, but they are much more expensive than a single strobe, especially when you consider the $99 mount.

The FoxFury lights are actually two-in-one. They have forward and side lights which operate independent of one another. I'm not saying the FoxFury lights are bad, but they are much more expensive than a single strobe, especially when you consider the $99 mount.
I see what you mean. The FF lights have a section on the sides for side lighting. That is an improvement for sure. The kit for $200 is the cheapest way to buy these FF lights with holder strap. If bought separately the lights are $130 each plus $99 for the plastic holder piece. Total: $360. Crazy!

FoxFuryLightsTop.png

I think you are overthinking it as well as overestimating the amount of potential obstruction the Firehouse could cause to the GPS antenna. The EVO could practically be wrapped in aluminum foil and it would still find a way to get a satellite lock. If you were to read some of the forums where people have tried to defeat DJI's geofencing by trying to block the GPS antenna you would start to realize just how resilient that circuitry is.

My EVO II with the Firehouse mounted still acquires GPS lock just as quickly and the same number of satellites as before. On average my EVO locks onto 26 satellites.....you only need 4 for GPS trilateration and most drones will let you take off with 7. Even in the middle of my house with the Firehouse mounted it managed to pick up 15 satellites (the same number as with it not mounted).

I recommend instead of thinking about it simply perform your own test; don't add the velcro just yet, turn on the EVO II, let it get a satellite fix then turn it off place the Firehouse where you plan on mounting it and turn the EVO II on again. Do this a few times in a few different scenarios and you will probably find that it doesn't make one bit of difference.

I recommend instead of thinking about it simply perform your own test; don't add the velcro just yet, turn on the EVO II, let it get a satellite fix then turn it off place the Firehouse where you plan on mounting it and turn the EVO II on again. Do this a few times in a few different scenarios and you will probably find that it doesn't make one bit of difference.
Good info and you're probably right. I'm overly cautious with this aircraft. I'm sure after the warranty is over I'll be much less risk averse. Of course I will probably have broken down and paid the $200 for the FoxFury solution. ?

Good info and you're probably right. I'm overly cautious with this aircraft. I'm sure after the warranty is over I'll be much less risk averse. Of course I will probably have broken down and paid the $200 for the FoxFury solution. ?

You think you have a warranty, you must be new to this industry :D

Depending on the weight of the light, I think as far forward as possible on the top of the nose would be sensible. The GPS chip (not the antenna, which is a bit aft) is shielded, and I doubt the circuitry generates any interference in the L1 or L2 bands used by GPS anyway.

I have one of these that I haven't mounted yet. According to my postal scale, it weighs in at about 0.35 ounces (roughly 10 grams) -- trivial in terms of W&B. Maybe I'll mount it and test it if the WX hold out.

Hey guys,
I just had a near nightmare, I put the Firehouse Arc XL in the middle of the front section on top. Took of and the drone took off, up and away 75 feet high and 75 feet away clipping a tree. I pressed the return to home and thank God it came close enough to home I could wrestle it to land in a safe place. After some testing I found that is was indeed giving me a compass error. I could not calibrate the compass with the light in place and on. Take it off and no problem calibrating the compass. What have we figured out? what is the best place to put it?
J

Hey guys,
I just had a near nightmare, I put the Firehouse Arc XL in the middle of the front section on top. Took of and the drone took off, up and away 75 feet high and 75 feet away clipping a tree. I pressed the return to home and thank God it came close enough to home I could wrestle it to land in a safe place. After some testing I found that is was indeed giving me a compass error. I could not calibrate the compass with the light in place and on. Take it off and no problem calibrating the compass. What have we figured out? what is the best place to put it?
J
Hmmm...

There aren't a whole lot of places to mount it. On top of the logo would be close to the GPS antenna, and further back you have the eyes,

The little one I have doesn't seem to throw anything off, but I haven't really tested it in any systematic way. The WX has sucked the past few days.

Thanks, you may find yourself 1/2 hour before sunset sometime and should have one on even if it is not dark yet.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy