Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Battery Malfunction in flight

Philipandrews

Reaction score
Hey so I have been experiencing a weird battery issue lately. The past couple of times I have gone to fly, I might have anywhere from 50% to 100% battery charge. Ill start flying and within 30 seconds the battery will drop instantly to 1%. This forces an immediate return to home.

Has anyone else seen this?

This has happened to me as well as other XSP fliers. Contact Autel customer service. They will probably ask you to send them the flight log to confirm the sudden drop of power. Then they may ask you to drain the battery and recharge it to test it out again. For me, I was eventually sent a new battery.

This has happened to me as well as other XSP fliers. Contact Autel customer service. They will probably ask you to send them the flight log to confirm the sudden drop of power. Then they may ask you to drain the battery and recharge it to test it out again. For me, I was eventually sent a new battery.
They did the same for me with one of my XSP batteries. It was older than a year old and past warranty. BUT, it only had 13 charges and it was swelled. The battery was faulty and they sent me a new one free of charge and asked me to take the bad one to a place where they recycle batteries.

Sudden battery drop, many of us have been there. It seems to affect LiPo batteries on many drones — they are sensitive beasts.
After every 20 cycles, they need to be deep-cycled, drained to under 3% before charging. Also, only charge right before you fly, if possible.
Once I had this happen over a waterfall in Hawaii, I had no chance to make it ashore. Autel reviewed the flight log and replaced the XSP. I had it happen again, but this time I got about 2 min to climb a sea-cliff, clear a tree, and land — barely. Ever since that time, I take battery management VERY seriously. Read the flyer that comes with the batteries for more info...

Reactions: dronechimp
Autel told me to bring it down between 5-7% also and made a point to not go below that.

Reactions: Fly-a-holic
Autel told me to bring it down between 5-7% also and made a point to not go below that.
You guys are right, I was thinking about another device, sorry. I had to review my old notes. I grabbed this after Agustine posted it well over a year ago. It’s not in the XSP manual, it’s the sheet that comes with a spare battery. It says 7% or lower, but doesn’t say how low.....??5CDFE735-6925-41AC-9201-BA125DA4AAA3.jpeg

You guys are right, I was thinking about another device, sorry. I had to review my old notes. I grabbed this after Agustine posted it well over a year ago. It’s not in the XSP manual, it’s the sheet that comes with a spare battery. It says 7% or lower, but doesn’t say how low.....??View attachment 3118
It's not in the manual because it was not written by Autel. That was written afterwords by other people who gave it to Autel who then asked if they could use it for their customers. Agustine was one of the first ones to see it and share it with us. Many thanks to him for that.

It's not in the manual because it was not written by Autel. That was written afterwords by other people who gave it to Autel who then asked if they could use it for their customers. Agustine was one of the first ones to see it and share it with us. Many thanks to him for that.
Amen

How does one discharges the Batteries to 7%. And how do you know when it reaches that level?

Reactions: Fly-a-holic
How does one discharges the Batteries to 7%. And how do you know when it reaches that level?
The way I do it is make a normal flight being overhead or at home around 25% ( preferably LOL) or whatever you have your battery's low warning set to. Then hover around about 3ft> until the desired battery level is reached. I have an Evo and it wants to go home the whole time so I have to hold the left stick down slightly (because of the return to home height) overriding return to home.
I'm getting an XSP soon and I'll see what happens with it. Should be similar I would think.

You can also turn on the XSP with a flight-depleted battery, and leave it on overnight or however long it takes. Checking Starlink occasionally to confirm the level. I’ve done that too...

Reactions: dronechimp
You can also plug in your controller to the charger then to the battery without plugging it in to the power outlet. This will charge the controller with the flight battery. It will start charging when you turn on the flight battery.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials