Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Battery lost power in mid flight

davshev

Reaction score
Last month I lost an E2P version 1 while flying over water. Battery power drained precipitously within a couple of minutes and it crashed into the water. I contacted Autel and sent them the flight data. They agreed that the battery should not have drained so quickly and replaced the drone. So now I have a new E2P version 1. Just recently I was flying this one and something similar happened. It took off at 99% and after 4 minutes it started beeping that the battery level was at 14%. This time I was able to land on terra firma and find it with an attached GPS tracker. I went home and looked at the flight data which confirmed everything I've just described. The last few seconds of data said the battery was at 3%. The bizarre thing is that when I started it up at home with the same battery it said 45%. The battery has 27 discharges on it. The firmware is 2.6.22. I've used this same version on previous Evos and not had any problems with it.

No insight here, but battery problems are my biggest concern. I wish the software could better monitor/predict when a battery has issues or should be retired.

I've also had problems in the past with batteries.

Agreed! Often though the battery shows “full charge” after charging it, the remote states it only has 40% or similar and though the controller says the voltage in each of the cells is within a tenth of a volt or less in difference AND shows proper voltages and charge, I have seen my Evo 2 Pro AND my Evo 2 640T almost not make it back to me with sudden discharges and similar battery problems. I have no idea if this is a battery problem or a software or firmware problem. But unnerving.

I sent a message to Ken Booth from Autel. He told me to make sure each battery is updated with whatever version FW you're using. I have about 7 batteries from different sources, so I intend to update each one. Hopefully this will solve my battery issues.

Reactions: AirStag
I will do so , but per my smart controller I am “up to date” but certainly I will check again. Thanks for checking!

I've also had problems in the past with batteries.

I sent a message to Ken Booth from Autel. He told me to make sure each battery is updated with whatever version FW you're using. I have about 7 batteries from different sources, so I intend to update each one. Hopefully this will solve my battery iss

I sent a message to Ken Booth from Autel. He told me to make sure each battery is updated with whatever version FW you're using. I have about 7 batteries from different sources, so I intend to update each one. Hopefully this will solve my battery issues.
Some have said the last update they did was the start of their battery issues. I can't be sure if it was the start of my issues. The only thing that has cured my battery problems was tossing the bad ones. I too have 7 left. They are all functioning just fine however, the fatal day is coming. I fully expect that and will be freed from my Evo 1. The only thing predictable regarding the Autel Drone is the fact that it will unexpectedly crash sooner rather than later.

Reactions: AirStag
I just ran into this issue yesterday. I performed flights at two different locations an hour apart and the 100% charged batteries drained in less than 5 minutes on the first takeoff at each location. After changing the batteries the second flight at each location ran smoothly.

I just ran into this issue yesterday. I performed flights at two different locations an hour apart and the 100% charged batteries drained in less than 5 minutes on the first takeoff at each location. After changing the batteries the second flight at each location ran smoothly.
Hmmmm. I'm not sure if this is a battery problem or a firmware issue....or both.

Well it finally happened! My fully charged Autel 2 pro 6k battery at 100% charged the night before the flight, confirmed on the remote control confirmed I had at least 31 1/2 minutes of flight time over the area of Lake Michigan/Pentwater Michigan. A beautiful area by Western Michigan. I took off from the pier head And everything went well and suddenly as I am flying to get some great views of boats entering and exiting Pentwater Lake, my battery went from estimated 26 1/2 minutes to “landing“ immediately! The automatic RTH obviously engaged but Within seconds of RTH being engaged the unit went into “automatic landing“ due to a battery that went from 26 1/2 minutes instantly to zero.!!! Of course I was overwater but not by more than a few hundred yards. Though I try to manually head to the shoreline and the last picture on my remote control that I have on my iPhone shows me to be at about 150 feet elevation and no more than 100 yards offshore, I completely lost signal due to no battery and unfortunately I have no idea where she landed. Water, land,??? I drove around and walked around the area with my remote control on trying to connect but unsuccessful.

The battery I can confirm had far less than 50 charges on it at most and in fact probably a lot less than that. Ion over a dozen batteries as I have/used to have this Evo two pro 6K Version one and I also have an Evo II to enterprise 640T Version two.

Does anyone know if Autel will even consider helping and obviously loyal customer given the fact that I have two of their more expensive drones now just one).?Does anyone know if Autel will even consider helping and obviously loyal customer given the fact that I have two of their more expensive drones (now just one).? If not Noah I was attracted by hotel because of its lack of Geofencing and prior to the more recent issues of the V1 versus V2 debacle and the recent drop and customer support, I was a big supporter of Autel versus DJI.

Two questions/need recommendations:

One: I would appreciate any/all suggestions as to whether or not the best way I can possibly talk to Autel to see if they might offer some sort of replacement/discounted replacement/whatever?

Two: if this one is on me, and if hotel doesn’t wish to consider replacement or even a discounted replacement of my fly away/sudden dead battery Evo two pro 6K V1, even though it was not user error in my opinion, I now need to replace a drone and since I already have my version two Evo two pro 640DT I primarily need something for my photography/hobby particularly around the Great Lakes of Michigan. That means flying over water. The dreaded curse of drones I know!

Since I need to replace this drawn (whether I get help from Autel or not) I am considering DJI mini pro 3 particularly with its extended battery capability (but Geo fencing is negative even though I am 107 certified)
Versus a replacement product I hotel such as their nano plus? I just can’t see dumping 2000+ dollars into another hotel or high-end DJI when I already on the Evo two pro 640T (which you won’t see me across any water with by the way) lol

Sorry for the long text, but any and all recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Keith

Wow, Doc, this is my nightmare. I just don't understand why battery health is so random. Or is it Autel firmware that is the issue. I expect we will see more and more of these incidents as the early E2Ps' are now two years old or more. If we can be flying with a battery that shows no signs of issues and suddenly it fails, we'll lose all confidence. And I'll lose interest.

As far as I know, only the larger commercial drones, starting with the Inspire series operate with a dual battery system. It sure seems like the way to go. We need to be able to get safely back to home if a battery fails. I would rather have two batteries and less flying time per mission.

Well it finally happened! My fully charged Autel 2 pro 6k battery at 100% charged the night before the flight, confirmed on the remote control confirmed I had at least 31 1/2 minutes of flight time over the area of Lake Michigan/Pentwater Michigan. A beautiful area by Western Michigan. I took off from the pier head And everything went well and suddenly as I am flying to get some great views of boats entering and exiting Pentwater Lake, my battery went from estimated 26 1/2 minutes to “landing“ immediately! The automatic RTH obviously engaged but Within seconds of RTH being engaged the unit went into “automatic landing“ due to a battery that went from 26 1/2 minutes instantly to zero.!!! Of course I was overwater but not by more than a few hundred yards. Though I try to manually head to the shoreline and the last picture on my remote control that I have on my iPhone shows me to be at about 150 feet elevation and no more than 100 yards offshore, I completely lost signal due to no battery and unfortunately I have no idea where she landed. Water, land,??? I drove around and walked around the area with my remote control on trying to connect but unsuccessful.

The battery I can confirm had far less than 50 charges on it at most and in fact probably a lot less than that. Ion over a dozen batteries as I have/used to have this Evo two pro 6K Version one and I also have an Evo II to enterprise 640T Version two.

Does anyone know if Autel will even consider helping and obviously loyal customer given the fact that I have two of their more expensive drones now just one).?Does anyone know if Autel will even consider helping and obviously loyal customer given the fact that I have two of their more expensive drones (now just one).? If not Noah I was attracted by hotel because of its lack of Geofencing and prior to the more recent issues of the V1 versus V2 debacle and the recent drop and customer support, I was a big supporter of Autel versus DJI.

Two questions/need recommendations:

One: I would appreciate any/all suggestions as to whether or not the best way I can possibly talk to Autel to see if they might offer some sort of replacement/discounted replacement/whatever?

Two: if this one is on me, and if hotel doesn’t wish to consider replacement or even a discounted replacement of my fly away/sudden dead battery Evo two pro 6K V1, even though it was not user error in my opinion, I now need to replace a drone and since I already have my version two Evo two pro 640DT I primarily need something for my photography/hobby particularly around the Great Lakes of Michigan. That means flying over water. The dreaded curse of drones I know!

Since I need to replace this drawn (whether I get help from Autel or not) I am considering DJI mini pro 3 particularly with its extended battery capability (but Geo fencing is negative even though I am 107 certified)
Versus a replacement product I hotel such as their nano plus? I just can’t see dumping 2000+ dollars into another hotel or high-end DJI when I already on the Evo two pro 640T (which you won’t see me across any water with by the way) lol

Sorry for the long text, but any and all recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Keith
Keith, this sounds nearly identical to what happened to me last month. I was flying (over water, of course) and the battery power went very quickly to critical level. When I got home I examined the fly data. I could see from the data where the battery power was in mid-flight and where it was when it went into RTH mode into a bay. It confirmed that there should have been more than enough time/power to bring it back to land...only a few hundred feet. I contacted Autel and they asked to see the flight data. After they examined it, they too concluded that the battery drained too quickly and agreed to replace my E2P v1 free of charge. I would absolutely recommend contacting them and giving them your flight data. This actually happened another time with a second E2P, but this time it landed safely on the ground. I'm not sure of what's going on. One theory is that the version of the battery firmware should be the same as that of the drone, but I don't know for sure. BTW, as an aside I use a GPS tracker on my drones to find them should I lose the signal. On more than one occasion I was able to find a drone that did an emergency landing.

Last edited:
U
Keith, this sounds nearly identical to what happened to me last month. I was flying (over water, of course) and the battery power went very quickly to critical level. When I got home I examined the fly data. I could see from the data where the battery power was in mid-flight and where it was when it went into RTH mode into a bay. It confirmed that there should have been more than enough time/power to bring it back to land...only a few hundred feet. I contacted Autel and they asked to see the flight data. After they examined it, they too concluded that the battery drained too quickly and agreed to replace my E2P v1 free of charge. I would absolutely recommend contacting them and giving them your flight data. This actually happened another time with a second E2P, but this time it landed safely on the ground. I'm not sure of what's going on. One theory is that the version of the battery firmware should be the same as that of the drone, but I don't know for sure. BTW, as an aside I use a GPS tracker on my drones to find them should I lose the signal. On more than one occasion I was able to find a drone that did an emergency landing.
The GPS tracker tag is an excellent idea! I’ve used them for luggage and things like that, I don’t even know why I didn’t think of it. Thank you!

For reasons that I can’t figure out yet, when I was using my version one remote controller which was connected to my iPhone, I went to synchronize my flight data log and for whatever reason my flight data isn’t there at all?! In fact the last thing there is when I was down in Florida in the Fort Lauderdale area in April. Weird.

That being said I was utilizing the remote controller/version one with my iPhone 13 so I imagine it’s there. I did take a snapshot of the last video feed that I had of my drone before it either went into the water or somewhere into the forest. I really don’t know where it landed but I drove everywhere with my controller searching for it and either the battery was completely dead or it’s underwater? I honestly think I likely made it back to land but I couldn’t find it anywhere.

I certainly will contact hotel via email. I know I don’t have an extended warranty that’s valid on it. I purchased it 18 months ago. I didn’t buy the hotel care at that time anyways.

But I do know that as opposed to pilot error, I can honestly and most definitely say that this wasn’t it. Perhaps there was a difference between firmware of battery versus firmware of aircraft??? I’m not certain. I do know that when I turn on my RC controller after giving up the search for my drone today and a “new upgrade is ready for download“. But either way my relatively new battery showed four bars and 99% when I took off equaling 31 minutes and 35 seconds of flight time and nothing went into emergency landing mode at the perfectly wrong time no more than four minutes into that flight.

I honestly feel that they should replace the drone for that. But of course we shall see particularly given that I’m not sure how to find my flight data even though I was using my iPhone connected to my version 1RC, I obviously can’t synchronize the data with the drone now physically gone.???

Maybe there is another area that I can look at the data logs because there should be some sort of recording on my Autel Explorer data since that was the program that I was using at the time.?

Maybe you or someone could tell me exactly where I could find my flight data information because if I can find it post crash assuming the drone is somewhere under the water right now, I know it will show me the battery failing within just a few minutes of full charge.

U

The GPS tracker tag is an excellent idea! I’ve used them for luggage and things like that, I don’t even know why I didn’t think of it. Thank you!

For reasons that I can’t figure out yet, when I was using my version one remote controller which was connected to my iPhone, I went to synchronize my flight data log and for whatever reason my flight data isn’t there at all?! In fact the last thing there is when I was down in Florida in the Fort Lauderdale area in April. Weird.

That being said I was utilizing the remote controller/version one with my iPhone 13 so I imagine it’s there. I did take a snapshot of the last video feed that I had of my drone before it either went into the water or somewhere into the forest. I really don’t know where it landed but I drove everywhere with my controller searching for it and either the battery was completely dead or it’s underwater? I honestly think I likely made it back to land but I couldn’t find it anywhere.

I certainly will contact hotel via email. I know I don’t have an extended warranty that’s valid on it. I purchased it 18 months ago. I didn’t buy the hotel care at that time anyways.

But I do know that as opposed to pilot error, I can honestly and most definitely say that this wasn’t it. Perhaps there was a difference between firmware of battery versus firmware of aircraft??? I’m not certain. I do know that when I turn on my RC controller after giving up the search for my drone today and a “new upgrade is ready for download“. But either way my relatively new battery showed four bars and 99% when I took off equaling 31 minutes and 35 seconds of flight time and nothing went into emergency landing mode at the perfectly wrong time no more than four minutes into that flight.

I honestly feel that they should replace the drone for that. But of course we shall see particularly given that I’m not sure how to find my flight data even though I was using my iPhone connected to my version 1RC, I obviously can’t synchronize the data with the drone now physically gone.???

Maybe there is another area that I can look at the data logs because there should be some sort of recording on my Autel Explorer data since that was the program that I was using at the time.?

Maybe you or someone could tell me exactly where I could find my flight data information because if I can find it post crash assuming the drone is somewhere under the water right now, I know it will show me the battery failing within just a few minutes of full charge.
The flight data is stored in the Autel Explorer app. When you look on the first screen of the app (see attached) in the upper right hand corner there's an icon of a person. Tap on it and it takes you to the page where the flight data is stored. From there you should be able to upload the specific flight to a site like Airdata.com, which requires you to establish a free account. When I contacted Autel, they didn't make an issue of my Evo being out of warranty. I saw another post on the forum about someone who had a similar experience. Autel likely knows that this is an issue. You could also try connecting with Ken Booth from Autel. I contacted him via Facebook and he was very responsive. Log into Facebook

Attachments

• app.jpg
    app.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 5
Last month I lost an E2P version 1 while flying over water. Battery power drained precipitously within a couple of minutes and it crashed into the water. I contacted Autel and sent them the flight data. They agreed that the battery should not have drained so quickly and replaced the drone. So now I have a new E2P version 1. Just recently I was flying this one and something similar happened. It took off at 99% and after 4 minutes it started beeping that the battery level was at 14%. This time I was able to land on terra firma and find it with an attached GPS tracker. I went home and looked at the flight data which confirmed everything I've just described. The last few seconds of data said the battery was at 3%. The bizarre thing is that when I started it up at home with the same battery it said 45%. The battery has 27 discharges on it. The firmware is 2.6.22. I've used this same version on previous Evos and not had any problems with it.
I had essentially the exact same thing happened to me on August 27, 2022. It is on a similar thread “Evo two pro falling from the sky‘s“. Bottom line is that I perform all preflight/intra- flight/post flight policies and procedures as recommended by the manufacturer and as a FAA flight 107 certificate Holder, I follow these policies and procedures exactly. However despite turning over my flight logs and my information to Autel, because the craft was more than 12 months old despite the battery being less than a year old (4 months old) and certainly all battery cells were within 0.01 or less voltage each and we’re fully charged 20 hours prior to the planned flight, I too was only flying for barely 3 minutes when I received a RTH morning with less than 15% of battery remaining despite starting at 31 minutes and 40 seconds just barely 3 minutes previous. This was on a day where the temperature was 83°F, winds less than 5-10 miles an hour at 200 up to 400 feet AGL and humidity was relatively low for west Michigan that day at 68%.

Alfirmwear, software updates are continuously performed and were performed prior to that takeoff. To be frank I was also using a V one E2 P, With traditional V1 RC controller and my iPhone 13 attached. There’s most definitely a problem and Autel is offering minimal discount if I buy a new unit and certainly has been less than helpful since the drone went down in my opinion.

I also own a version two E2P-640T with separate smart controller. There’s also been questionable/similar behaviors and brand new batteries with the latest firmware, software and brand new batteries. For reasons unknown at ambient temperatures of 75 to 80°F with humidity‘s between 50-65% on average and winds light at no more than 10 to 12 miles an hour maximum, the crafts batteries seems to precipitously fall despite all cells in my batteries having the latest updates and being less than 0.01 volt difference in charge potential and maintained per manufacture recommendations. I frankly don’t have an explanation, but the fact that other people are seeing this tells me there’s something wrong and I tell needs to not only addressed this but appropriately replace lost drones/accessories for those customers where there is obviously non-pilot error.

I want to take the time to post my story because I believe it contains some very interesting information. I have experienced, on a single occasion, the same concerns that are being expressed here. While flying my E2V1 early in the year (FEB), and about 5 minutes into the flight, I received a very unexpected low battery warning, aircraft landing. I was flying within eyesight, above the treetops, when this occurred, but freaked out due to the distance between me and the UAV. As my craft decended out of sight, I grabbed my keys and drove over to where the drone we went down (grateful for the map feature).

I discovered my drone hovering in place, about 4 ft. above the ground!! The controller showed the battery was dead, yet here it was, props spinning and the craft hovering in place, 192' below take-off altitude!! Of course there was no response to controller input. I attempted to "hand capture" the craft but it resisted, trying to gain altitude. Finally I let go and it proceeded to rise about 3 ft., then land softly in the snow. I feel truly fortunate that this hadn't occurred where the drone could have been damaged or lost. Had this happen any place else, it likely would have ended in tragedy. Due to living in a hilly area, fate allowed my E2V1 to survive and fly another day. However, I have no confidence in the drone's ability to remain airborne. I have flown several times since, without issue, but remain skeptical... I have no interest in loosing my expensive drone!!

I want to take the time to post my story because I believe it contains some very interesting information. I have experienced, on a single occasion, the same concerns that are being expressed here. While flying my E2V1 early in the year (FEB), and about 5 minutes into the flight, I received a very unexpected low battery warning, aircraft landing. I was flying within eyesight, above the treetops, when this occurred, but freaked out due to the distance between me and the UAV. As my craft decended out of sight, I grabbed my keys and drove over to where the drone we went down (grateful for the map feature).

I discovered my drone hovering in place, about 4 ft. above the ground!! The controller showed the battery was dead, yet here it was, props spinning and the craft hovering in place, 192' below take-off altitude!! Of course there was no response to controller input. I attempted to "hand capture" the craft but it resisted, trying to gain altitude. Finally I let go and it proceeded to rise about 3 ft., then land softly in the snow. I feel truly fortunate that this hadn't occurred where the drone could have been damaged or lost. Had this happen any place else, it likely would have ended in tragedy. Due to living in a hilly area, fate allowed my E2V1 to survive and fly another day. However, I have no confidence in the drone's ability to remain airborne. I have flown several times since, without issue, but remain skeptical... I have no interest in loosing my expensive drone!!
After I lost a drone over a year ago that lost contact with my RC, I decided to invest in a small GPS tracker. This thing has saved me on several occasions. It can pinpoint me to within several feet of its location. As I've read through these threads I've come to the conclusion that the best course of action is to only use batteries that do not have a lot of cycles or age on them. I keep my eye on the voltage when taking off to see if there any major variances.

Attachments

• tracki.jpg
    tracki.jpg
    666.6 KB · Views: 8

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d