Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Bad range with my Autel Evo

Since the EVO is using 2.4 Ghz you should be able to use a WiFi signal analyzer. There are plenty to download from Google play store and they work pretty good. If its able to pick up the signal from the EVO it should tell you which channel it is using and give you some idea of the strength.

Just as a example this is from my Parrot Anafi UAV. Using the signal analyzer it shows me which channel it is using and the strength.

Should you use the micro USB or the normal size USB to connect from your controller to the phone?
I was using the micro USB before when I wasn't getting far, but then I tried the normal size USB and I got over 1km when I decided to return home.

Attachments

• 20190417_131141.jpg
    20190417_131141.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 24
I had a member from the Parrot forum who reversed engineered the Anafi App look the Explorer App over.

He checked the app, and there are certainly FCC/CE modes.

public static RFPower find(int value) {
if (FCC.getValue() == value) {
return FCC;
}
if (CE.getValue() == value) {
return CE;
}
return UNKNOWN;
}

However, it is almost impossible to modify the app without having a drone since he cannot test anything.

Is it the FCC ID?
2AGNTEVORC582409A

Thank you - I was just wanting to clarify for anyone following -- this was the same Evo part number we all have in our hands.

So I just wanted to make sure you did not have anything different than the rest of us.

There is another Evo listed as of November 29, 2018 of last year --

Evo: 2AGNTEVOA2400A
FCC ID 2AGNTEVOA2400A EVO by Autel Robotics Co., Ltd.

Evo controller: 2AGNTEF7RC2400A
FCC ID 2AGNTEF7RC2400A EF7 by Autel Robotics Co., Ltd.

They are approved for use in US and not sure if approved for any other countries. These units are only capable of 2.4 GHz.

The radios on these are barely putting out any signals from the documents --

Whomever gets these -- are not going to be going more than 1000 feet, IMO... if they are even that lucky...

Can you switch between frequencies on the Evo Explorer app?
The Evo image transmission system and DJI occusync are very similar because they both use 2.4ghz which is the same as most all wifi signals for computer networks. Evo uses 2.4ghz but its not wifi or the standard TCPIP protocal. The wifi networks do cause interference and is why the Evo and controller will adapt on its own. WIFI tools even wifi packet sniffers cant pickup the transmission since there are no SSID/ beacons broadcasted. The DJI occusync does allow some manual adjustments but I think leaving it in auto will allow the system to switch on its own mid flight since you will be flying past many interefence zones that may required channel switching to optimize your range. Autel probably know this so there is no manual transmission adjustments except the band width. I always choose 5mhz to shorten the bursts hoping more data packets sent in a given moment will allow faster recovery from connection loss. Iv tried my Linux wifi tools to sniff the connection between EVO and its controller and there are non which tells me its not WiFi.
It just uses the 2.4ghz frequency that cant be changed. There is some chatter about a embeded 900MHZ tranciever in the Evo but that remains to be seen. DJI Mavic Pro users have said you can trick your phones GPS settings to look like your in a country that uses FCC rules so the Go4 app will engage FCC mode. good luck on return to home function!!!
I believe you can enable DJI Mavic Pro FCC mode by changing its flight parameters but not the Evo....yet ;)

The funny thing is that my signal strength of the remote control signal and the image transmission signal are at full strength when I lose signal and the auto return home is activated.

I get popups about weak signal often and the bars are full but it doesnt try to return home. Hope they fix this with firmware. Im not using the latest version. If your Evo is not in FCC mode then it will affect you more. Lower power output just wont penetrate the RF noise. Go to an open area away from homes and businesses if possible and see if the range improves.Tthe high off the ground your remote is the better and nothing near you like trees or buildings blocking your signal. I may try sitting on a ladder after the wind slows to see if it helps my range. I wonder if anyone has tried longer higher dbi dipole antennas yet on the Evo remote. Not the Hawk patch antenna but something omni directional.

I get popups about weak signal often and the bars are full but it doesnt try to return home. Hope they fix this with firmware. Im not using the latest version. If your Evo is not in FCC mode then it will affect you more. Lower power output just wont penetrate the RF noise. Go to an open area away from homes and businesses if possible and see if the range improves.Tthe high off the ground your remote is the better and nothing near you like trees or buildings blocking your signal. I may try sitting on a ladder after the wind slows to see if it helps my range. I wonder if anyone has tried longer higher dbi dipole antennas yet on the Evo remote. Not the Hawk patch antenna but something omni directional.
That is really going to be hard for him to do. Best bet is to fly into another country.
Screenshot_20190418-094453_Maps.jpg

LOL
Well If you zoom in on the NFZ map where he lives it is not any different then any large populated spot in the USA. South Africa is very large with lots of open spaces so finding a spot to fly should not be that hard. There does seem to be a ton of airports though :)

• Haha
Reactions: Tufargon and Ansia
What altitude are you flying at? you should try cancelling rth and going to a higher altitude

Last edited:
Wow ! Think id make a ground station/saddle and climb up a giraffe maybe mount my antennas on its head.
I like to cruise at 350 ft. we have lots of trees.

I don't know what to try next.
Hi,
I'm having problems with the range of the Autel Evo,
I can't get further than 1km (3000 feet).
I live in South Africa and we are using CE mode. Will this make a difference?
I'm flying in a semi-urban area.

Using the Samsung Galaxy A6 Plus.
What should I turn on, on my phone setting?
1 Airplane mode
2 Location
3 Wi-Fi

Thanks.
I have a 4 Hawks on mine and regularly go out 3.5 (18,500 ft) miles and have gone over 4 miles (22,000 ft) but that is taking a big chance about it not making it back because fo the battery.

I'm a little confused, why would any EVOs be flying in anything other than FCC mode, considering that EVO is not manufactured to be sold anywhere but the USA?
I attempted a long distance run with my EVO when I just got it in a very congested urban area, granted over the bay but both sides of the bay are populated with mostly high rise buildings and I gota perfectly clean mile, actually just over a mile, however the nth surprised me and I actually got started an lost my bearings thinking the bird was going In the wrong direction and wasn't able to cancel rth as I didn't realize you have to press and hold the pause button until the process is deactivated. The connection was perfect within seconds after the bird climbed to it's programmed rth altitude (300 feet) but I stupidly let it come back home at that point, I've posted it b4, but just in case you missed it. I kept the 200 feet height and did not want to fly higher in that area because there is very frequent low flying manned aircraft traffic, both helicopters and fixed winged.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy