Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel evo 2 pro range

Robert0220

Reaction score
So I just finally got my hands on my evo 2 pro. Loving it so far. Photos compared to my mini 2 r night and day. My question is dealing with the range. Urban area and only able to get about 1.10 miles at 340altitude. Is this normal for the evo 2. And also would I benefit from placing my phone in airplane mode here are some of the photos witch is why I love doing this.

Attachments

• 75E3DEE1-B57C-40EF-AAB1-5DAD3F21674C.jpeg
    75E3DEE1-B57C-40EF-AAB1-5DAD3F21674C.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 23
  • BFB1C211-E7F7-4AE6-A34A-6F36B1C39627.jpeg
    BFB1C211-E7F7-4AE6-A34A-6F36B1C39627.jpeg
    8.4 MB · Views: 22
  • 2243F3CD-40B1-4061-A1C3-C1CD8E7BA611.jpeg
    2243F3CD-40B1-4061-A1C3-C1CD8E7BA611.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 22
  • 200015A7-ED24-4B2E-BFDC-119F276807E2.jpeg
    200015A7-ED24-4B2E-BFDC-119F276807E2.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 22
  • 8EC0EDFA-EF92-45BC-B38C-81004BF0442F.jpeg
    8EC0EDFA-EF92-45BC-B38C-81004BF0442F.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 3DDFB8F1-CEE5-47A9-B352-BC0824817ECB.jpeg
    3DDFB8F1-CEE5-47A9-B352-BC0824817ECB.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 23
Reactions: ethelsnakes
So I just finally got my hands on my evo 2 pro. Loving it so far. Photos compared to my mini 2 r night and day. My question is dealing with the range. Urban area and only able to get about 1.10 miles at 340altitude. Is this normal for the evo 2. And also would I benefit from placing my phone in airplane mode here are some of the photos witch is why I love doing this.

That sounds about right given the landscape in your images. I definitely recommend placing the phone in airplane mode and ensuring the antennas are facing towards the ground and the flat side is facing the direction of the EVO.

In absolutely perfect conditions (open ocean) for my EVO II the battery is the only limit; it has flown 5 miles out and back at 100' AGL and landed with 10% remaining. In no other conditions have I ever gotten (or tried to get) that kind of range.

That sounds about right given the landscape in your images. I definitely recommend placing the phone in airplane mode and ensuring the antennas are facing towards the ground and the flat side is facing the direction of the EVO.

In absolutely perfect conditions (open ocean) for my EVO II the battery is the only limit; it has flown 5 miles out and back at 100' AGL and landed with 10% remaining. In no other conditions have I ever gotten (or tried to get) that kind of range.
So with that being said. Do you know anyone or have your heard of any autel pilots using the alientech 2.4ghz boosted antenna for the evo 2? Only reasons asking because there really won’t be many chances to fly over the ocean and would likely be all urban flying.

So with that being said. Do you know anyone or have your heard of any autel pilots using the alientech 2.4ghz boosted antenna for the evo 2? Only reasons asking because there really won’t be many chances to fly over the ocean and would likely be all urban flying.

There are a few threads on this forum where people discuss antenna mods; the search feature may help you find some of them. I personally do not do this because the stock range is fine for me; I am usually filming events or commercial work and keep the EVO within VLOS.

Also, my philosophy is not to spend one additional penny on a specific drone system that I don't need to spend because they have a life expectancy of around 3yrs and my focus is ROI. A final downside to those antenna mods is that they will prevent the controller from fitting into the precut foam cases without additional work and if you leave the antenna mod disconnected and accidentally power on your remote you could fry the transmitter circuit in the remote.

So I personally stick with stock and just accept whatever limitations that entails.

There are a few threads on this forum where people discuss antenna mods; the search feature may help you find some of them. I personally do not do this because the stock range is fine for me; I am usually filming events or commercial work and keep the EVO within VLOS.

Also, my philosophy is not to spend one additional penny on a specific drone system that I don't need to spend because they have a life expectancy of around 3yrs and my focus is ROI. A final downside to those antenna mods is that they will prevent the controller from fitting into the precut foam cases without additional work and if you leave the antenna mod disconnected and accidentally power on your remote you could fry the transmitter circuit in the remote.

So I personally stick with stock and just accept whatever limitations that entails.
And why do you think they have a life of three years? I have seen people with older drones then that they still fly them

And why do you think they have a life of three years? I have seen people with older drones then that they still fly them

Unfortunately I cannot find the article now, but several studies showed the average lifespan of drones are around 3yrs. I am assuming they took into account crashes, obsolescence, parts failure, and more. After compiling all of the statistics for around the past 10yrs their number was right at 3yrs. Of course yours might last longer than that, and probably will if you take care of it and fly with the utmost care, but each proprietary expenditure into a specific drone system is something you won't recover if you switch systems later, crash the drone, or can no longer get batteries/parts for it (think x star).

A good example of this is the smart controller and the V1/V2 fiasco. I would never get a smart controller from any drone vendor because it is proprietary with no guarantee of working for future drone platforms even from the same vendor. I use the same iPad I bought in 2016 and it has flown everything from the Inspire to the Autel. So for me, aftermarket antennas fall into that proprietary expenditure category.

The only things I personally buy is a tablet mounting system, lanyard, rugged case, and the minimum amount of batteries that I need (for the EVO II that number was 4 batteries) plus a hub charger and car charger.

I have an Alientech on my RC that is the 2.4 and I bought the Duo II for my V1 SC. The alientech works great. Go to www.covertdrones.com who is a vendor on this site to order. He can do the controller modification as well.
I agree, AlienTech booster on stock Evo 2 controller greatly increases signal strength. I was using one before getting Smart Controller V1, My AlienTech wasn’t the duel model think it was the Pro 2.4 model. Still, wouldn’t fly without one in areas with inference if I was still using stock controller.

Reactions: MNT DRONE SOLUTIONS
I agree, AlienTech booster on stock Evo 2 controller greatly increases signal strength. I was using one before getting Smart Controller V1, My AlienTech wasn’t the duel model think it was the Pro 2.4 model. Still, wouldn’t fly without one in areas with inference if I was still using stock controller.
Yes, I used the 2.4 on the stock controller. I bought the Duo II for the V1 smartcontroller anticipating moving it over to a V2 smart controller later :). Sort of future proofing my purchase.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
Yes, I used the 2.4 on the stock controller. I bought the Duo II for the V1 smartcontroller anticipating moving it over to a V2 smart controller later :). Sort of future proofing my purchase.

How much of a difference do you see with the Alientech on your smart controller?

Yeah I thought the smart controller v1 is still only 2.4ghz n not the duel band. How is the duo working with that? N yeah I am looking into the pro 2.4ghz one but will be awhile before can grab one. N have the duo for my mini 2 that’s why asking it it does

How does the duo work on v1 when only 2.4ghz n duo is duel band

I use the ALIENTECH Pro, and it's worth every penny. Having said that, if I were to choose again I would choose the Alientech Duo, because it's dual band so it can work with DJI as well with just buying adapters. Having said all that, the last E2 firmware update in July messed up the range with the ALIENTECH, so I had to downgrade firmware V2.6.22, and only limited to how long the battery lasts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Waldo Pepper
I've been able to get 2 miles out of one of these:

TOZO Antenna Signal Range Booster Parabolic Foldable​

That was in a fairly flat rural setting, 350 feet up. It's not made for the controller per se but I keep it in my bag if I expect to lose signal.

I have the 4Hawks system (which is half the price of a alien tech) and although as herein2021 states it is ultimately an additional unrecoverable cost, but for me it is an acceptable one. The stock antennas in a high noise environment is unacceptable to me. I simply don't want to risk a loss of signal in those situations. Although the 4Hawks is not powered, it does boost the signal well enough for my needs and I have personally flown over 3 miles with the system. I have powered my controller on multiple times and have even done a 3-500 ft test flight without attaching the flat part of the amplifier itself. The posts that the flat amplifier connects to act as a transmitter and I am not worried about burning out the chip. I cannot speak for a powered one such as the alien tech. IMO it is a great purchase and I am completely happy.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coastaldrone