Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

__== Anyone have pictures of modified controller?__==

optimummind

Reaction score
Hi guys,

To increase the video signal quality of the Evo and extend its range in my urban neighborhood, I'm thinking of getting the Titan Atlas Amplified Signal Booster System. In worst-case scenarios, I can only fly out about 800-ft before my video signal becomes garbled. In more open areas of my city, I can go out almost one mile.

Those who modified their Evo controller and installed a signal booster system, do you have pictures of your modified controller? Can a smartphone still be connected to the controller in its original position?

Best regards~

Where do you live that you have so much interference? I have the switch system on my Inspire and if I feel I need to increase range I will install it on the EVO. There is someone selling either a controller with switch installed or the switch system with installation and has a photo on eBay, but it's a photo of the mavic controller, however it looks like there should be no problem with the switch, however the cheaper Control system looks like it will interfere with the phone holder.
AUTEL EVO LONG RANGE FPV DRONE ANTENNA SIGNAL BOOSTER TITAN DRONES SWITCH | eBay

TITAN DRONE SIGNAL RANGE EXTENDER ANTENNA BOOSTER FOR DJI PHANTOM MAVIC PRO AIR 731938812105 | eBay

Where do you live that you have so much interference? I have the switch system on my Inspire and if I feel I need to increase range I will install it on the EVO. There is someone selling either a controller with switch installed or the switch system with installation and has a photo on eBay, but it's a photo of the mavic controller, however it looks like there should be no problem with the switch, however the cheaper Control system looks like it will interfere with the phone holder.
AUTEL EVO LONG RANGE FPV DRONE ANTENNA SIGNAL BOOSTER TITAN DRONES SWITCH | eBay

TITAN DRONE SIGNAL RANGE EXTENDER ANTENNA BOOSTER FOR DJI PHANTOM MAVIC PRO AIR 731938812105 | eBay

I live in a city in SoCal less than 5 miles from Disneyland. Population about 150,000. Lots of homes and businesses with Wifi everywhere.

Opti. Please be aware that a signal booster probably won't help you. In fact, it will also boost the interference signal that is interfering with your transmissions; possibly making things worse. With high end radios (2-way radios, HAM radios, etc., filters called 'notch-filters' are used. They only pass the exact frequency that they are tuned for. Putting a notch filter on any Drone controller would be futile unless you are dealing with a very expensive ($10k+) drone. Again a booster/range extender is going to extend the range and quantity of the interference signal, just as much as it would add 'gain' to the desired signal. Simply put, it would be like wearing a hearing aid in a noisy restaurant. The noise would be amplified (also with the voice of a person sitting right across from you) that you would still be unable to hear the person across from you.

Rather than boosting or amplifying your signal, you need to focus on reducing the noise, or interference. Only then will you see an improvement.

Your source of interference could be as close as a power transformer across the street from your home, or a source of RF as much as a mile or more away. See if there are any HAM operators (or a club) in your area. If so, one of them might have access to a 'Spectrum Analyzer, which can be a great help in locating and isolating different frequencies of noise and interference. Good luck Sir.

Reactions: optimummind
Opti. Please be aware that a signal booster probably won't help you. In fact, it will also boost the interference signal that is interfering with your transmissions; possibly making things worse. With high end radios (2-way radios, HAM radios, etc., filters called 'notch-filters' are used. They only pass the exact frequency that they are tuned for. Putting a notch filter on any Drone controller would be futile unless you are dealing with a very expensive ($10k+) drone. Again a booster/range extender is going to extend the range and quantity of the interference signal, just as much as it would add 'gain' to the desired signal. Simply put, it would be like wearing a hearing aid in a noisy restaurant. The noise would be amplified (also with the voice of a person sitting right across from you) that you would still be unable to hear the person across from you.

Rather than boosting or amplifying your signal, you need to focus on reducing the noise, or interference. Only then will you see an improvement.

Your source of interference could be as close as a power transformer across the street from your home, or a source of RF as much as a mile or more away. See if there are any HAM operators (or a club) in your area. If so, one of them might have access to a 'Spectrum Analyzer, which can be a great help in locating and isolating different frequencies of noise and interference. Good luck Sir.

I appreciate your advice and warnings.

Do you think, then, I should just get some parabolic antennas instead?

Reading online reviews and Youtube videos, so many people seem very happy and satisfied with their modded remotes - whether the boosted directional kind or the boosted omni-directional kind.

You've seen or read reviews on the boosted antennas for EVO? I haven't seen one, have a link?
I have not tried the parabolic on the EVO as I really have not been in a situation that I did "need" them, but I have a set and have used them with my Inspire where I got a marked improvement in signal quality and distance, in fact I've yet to better it with the Titans, maybe overall distance but not quality

You've seen or read reviews on the boosted antennas for EVO? I haven't seen one, have a link?
I have not tried the parabolic on the EVO as I really have not been in a situation that I did "need" them, but I have a set and have used them with my Inspire where I got a marked improvement in signal quality and distance, in fact I've yet to better it with the Titans, maybe overall distance but not quality

No, not with the Autel Evo specifically but with other drones (e.g., Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, etc).

I really don't know why anyone would want a range extender on the EVO as these things already have a range that no one in the right mind should be flying. If you really think you need extra range I would go with a design like the 4Hawks antenna. There are a few out there of this design. It makes it very directional, something that has not been mentioned yet. This is why these tyoes of antennas work so well. It cuts through the noise and interference. They work and they work well.
Raptor SR

Opera Snapshot_2018-10-29_045218_www.4hawks.com.png

Reactions: Pman
I really don't know why anyone would want a range extender on the EVO as these things already have a range that no one in the right mind should be flying. If you really think you need extra range I would go with a design like the 4Hawks antenna. There are a few out there of this design. It makes it very directional, something that has not been mentioned yet. This is why these tyoes of antennas work so well. It cuts through the noise and interference. They work and they work well.
Raptor SR

View attachment 2884
The thing is, they are so directional if you are not pointed absolutely straight on it, it will loose signal very rapidly, and the further you go the harder it is to keep focus on a bird you can't see.

The thing is, they are so directional if you are not pointed absolutely straight on it, it will loose signal very rapidly, and the further you go the harder it is to keep focus on a bird you can't see.

Not true at all, the further you go the wider the beam.

[견적 = "optimalmind, 게시물 : 24930, 회원 : 1839"안녕하세요 아,

에보 (Evo)의 비디오 신호와 함께 도시 지역을 확장 할 수 있습니다. 최대 영상 신호는 왜곡 된 것입니다. 약 800 명을 모금한다. 내 도시의 더 많은 것 1 마일에서 나올 수 있습니다.

에보 컨트롤러를 사용하여 신호를 보내고. 한 사람의 사진을 수정 하시겠습니까? 스마트 폰에서 위치를 제어 할 수 있습니까?

안부 인사 ~ [/ 견적]

20181005_194459.jpg20181005_194459.jpg

Attachments

• 20180919_230236.jpg
    20180919_230236.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
[견적 = "optimalmind, 게시물 : 24930, 회원 : 1839"안녕하세요 아,

에보 (Evo)의 비디오 신호와 함께 도시 지역을 확장 할 수 있습니다. 최대 영상 신호는 왜곡 된 것입니다. 약 800 명을 모금한다. 내 도시의 더 많은 것 1 마일에서 나올 수 있습니다.

에보 컨트롤러를 사용하여 신호를 보내고. 한 사람의 사진을 수정 하시겠습니까? 스마트 폰에서 위치를 제어 할 수 있습니까?

안부 인사 ~ [/ 견적]

View attachment 2903View attachment 2903
What range does this give you?

seems way to complicated, switch antena is a very clean installation that is very versatile giving you a choice of "heads" whip antennas in various sizes or circular polarized directionals there are 2 versions, kit comes with the 8" whips and a choice of directional antennas. so right off the bat you have 2 different systems in one, you may use them boosted or passive depending on your needs. I have them on my inspire, however I yet don't think the EVO will need to be boosted as it has probably twice the the range that the Inspire has out of the box, maybe 3 times. I'm still testing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whiteboirobb
seems way to complicated, switch antena is a very clean installation that is very versatile giving you a choice of "heads" whip antennas in various sizes or circular polarized directionals there are 2 versions, kit comes with the 8" whips and a choice of directional antennas. so right off the bat you have 2 different systems in one, you may use them boosted or passive depending on your needs. I have them on my inspire, however I yet don't think the EVO will need to be boosted as it has probably twice the hem range that the Inspire has put of the box, maybe 3 times. I'm still testing.
Wow are those ever exspensive.

Reactions: mixchief
Wow are those ever exspensive.
Certainly not cheap if you want the modular concept, but Titan has a couple of different options and are by no means the only manufacturer providing range extentions, again I reiterate that I really can't see anyone needing an range extention on the EVO as it IS quite capable all on it's own, Parabolic reflectors would be my suggestion, $5.00 on Ebay shipped from Hong Kong is all it takes. I haven't seen them specifically for the EVO but I think any will fit, my Inspire set fits the EVO with a little mod as the antenna are a little different shape so the holes have to be adjusted and if you use your antennas facing down, you might need a rubber band or something akin to hold the reflectors in place

Hi guys,

To increase the video signal quality of the Evo and extend its range in my urban neighborhood, I'm thinking of getting the Titan Atlas Amplified Signal Booster System. In worst-case scenarios, I can only fly out about 800-ft before my video signal becomes garbled. In more open areas of my city, I can go out almost one mile.

Those who modified their Evo controller and installed a signal booster system, do you have pictures of your modified controller? Can a smartphone still be connected to the controller in its original position?

Best regards~
I'll have some tomorrow if it will help you still.

I do have the Switch Antenna system shown for sale. $225 shipped to the lower 48 only.20181123_140604.jpg20181123_140618.jpg

Attachments

• 20181123_140629.jpg
    20181123_140629.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • 20181123_204347.jpg
    20181123_204347.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
  • 20181123_204353.jpg
    20181123_204353.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
  • 20181125_151928.jpg
    20181125_151928.jpg