Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Yaw speed too fast, can it be adjusted?

Brlowe

Reaction score
I would like to slow down the yaw speed or add some expo to the yaw control. Can this be done and if so how?

Hope so, I just got back from a shoot where I needed to yaw more than normal and it was a chore.

Yeah. It's a big problem for me as well. My intention is to shoot real estate video, and if they can't get this fixed, it will be DJI for me.

I'm pretty sure X-Starman just meant that he needed to incorporate a yawing motion into his shoot more often than he normally would, and the difficulty of performing a smooth yaw with the XSP made that type of shoot much more of a chore.
Absolutely what I meant.

Ahh...hopefully flows much better!

That darn auto correct will get you every time. LOL!

Same problem here......yaw speed is not constant. When the craft is rotated either clockwise or counterclockwise and the control stick is held in a fixed position, the aircraft yaws fast, then slow, fast, then slow, over and over. I have been in touch w/Autel and they acknowledge that there is a problem and the techs in China are working on it. No ETA on a fix. I'm on my second bird now and if it isn't fixed soon, I will have to return this one for a refund. This is a deal-breaker for me. Too bad, because otherwise, I'm happy with the unit.

I installed a Phantom 2 yaw switch mod which gave me the option of normal yaw speed and slow yaw speed. The kit consisted of several resisters and a toggle switch, it worked to slow down the yaw speed very well. Don't see why this approach wouldn't work on the x-star. Here's the construction video - DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Yaw Switch Mod -
. Whacking this out for the x-star is above my pay grade. Somebody out there want to make a bunch of x-star pilots happy, have at it.

My only problem right now is that Autel has known about this from people complaining at least since late August to early September. (can't believe that Autel would release the drone with such a problem in the first place)

We are here 5 months later and we still have no fix for this issue. The drone is almost unusable for any filming like this with the yaw problem.

So where is this great customer support that everyone has been talking about. I hear that the new firmware will fix this but even that could be 4 months away. So you are looking at 9 months to fix a simple problem. And even if this isn't a simple problem to fix it should be a #1 priority to fix a major issue like that and it shouldn't take 9 months.

I have emailed Autel customer support twice and even though they got back to me quickly, I really didn't get any help other than generic emails.

They had a new firmware in the XSP at CES and there are videos showing it doing a nice smooth slow yaw turn. That firmware is due out this quarter. I'm not sure what other changes it has but I heard it is a big update. Also after that they are going to have scheduled updates not be releasing them randomly.

I installed a Phantom 2 yaw switch mod which gave me the option of normal yaw speed and slow yaw speed. The kit consisted of several resisters and a toggle switch, it worked to slow down the yaw speed very well. Don't see why this approach wouldn't work on the x-star. Here's the construction video - DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Yaw Switch Mod -
. Whacking this out for the x-star is above my pay grade. Somebody out there want to make a bunch of x-star pilots happy, have at it.

Here is an updated DJI Phantom 2 Yaw Switch Mod video -
. This works on both the Phantom 2 and the Phantom 2 Vision controllers (they/re the same) and hopefully on the X-Star Premium controller.
I think I would rather wait for the new firmware.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials