Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Yaw speed too fast, can it be adjusted?

this solution doesn't work me for either. I am getting better at being able to yaw slowly/slower. The problem is that is still very inconsistent by speeding up and slowing down. Even the video does this too. you can see even with the slower speed it still slightly speeds up and slows.

Not good enough

An intermediate solution for slowing down yaw speed. Autel X-Star Yaw Control Knob - 3D Printed Drone Mods

From reports of users this does not work and is a waist of money. We need a firmware fix, not some band aid 3D printed part that does not work.

I am running the beta Android App and I notice in the advanced settings an "EXP" mode, I couldn't use it because it had said I needed updated firmware on the XSP. I'm assuming this could help with the improved yaw control?

When you move the yaw stick to the left or right, the camera turns as well. I think this might exaggerate the movement and make it even faster.

You can see this by removing your props
Turn on controller, XStar and app
Make sure you have removed the props
Start the motors
Push the altitude stick up slightly
Move the yaw left and right and you will see the camera move side to side as well.

This is done by design. Even my yuneec Q500 does this. Its suppose to make for smoother yaws :) So you don't get that jerky affect.

There is a option in the new beta apps but it is not activated yet. I was told not till the new firmware comes out. I know you use the ISO app and the new beta will come out in a week or so according to Autel. So keep an eye open for it.

Won't be fixed until the new firmware for the aircraft arrives. It's supposed to work with the beta and the 1.2.8 firmware but for me it just gives an error. This issue, the stability in GPS mode, the auto land and takeoff and many other things are to be resolved by the firmware for the aircraft according to my discussion with the support group.

My only problem right now is that Autel has known about this from people complaining at least since late August to early September. (can't believe that Autel would release the drone with such a problem in the first place)

We are here 5 months later and we still have no fix for this issue. The drone is almost unusable for any filming like this with the yaw problem.

So where is this great customer support that everyone has been talking about. I hear that the new firmware will fix this but even that could be 4 months away. So you are looking at 9 months to fix a simple problem. And even if this isn't a simple problem to fix it should be a #1 priority to fix a major issue like that and it shouldn't take 9 months.

I have emailed Autel customer support twice and even though they got back to me quickly, I really didn't get any help other than generic emails.

I'm right on board with you, TomZ. I've been waiting for a fix for this issue since purchase in August 2016. The currently available firmware (version 1.1.3) is the same firmware that came installed on my XSP in August, so from a new buyer's perspective, there have been virtually no publicly available firmware updates made for the XSP since launch. I was fortunate enough to download version 1.2.8 when it was issued, and it works well enough with my equipment (other than the yaw issue), but as some of us know, that version was quickly made unavailable for download by Autel.

More importantly, I've been hearing from customer support that a fix was coming for this "in the next firmware update" since August. Version 1.2.8 did indeed have a note stating that "yaw control was made more linear", but there was no improvement in the yaw issue. In fact, you could make the case that more linear yaw expo would make the issue more pronounced. Frankly, I'll believe "a new firmware update is coming" when I see it - I really have no confidence at this point that an update is forthcoming.

Reactions: Quagmire LXIX
Yes, I've been hearing about this miracle new firmware for a while to and agree with Airmet, the v1.2.8 did not help the yaw any as noted.

Another aspect I'm not appreciating with Autel is their use of Facebook for customer information, I've been seeing more and more posts on various forums about their increased exposure talking about and posting new info on FB and this is crap. I will not support a company doing important customer communication on a platform I will never have any interest in joining. The majority of the time I click on a FB link to read something, it needs me to log in, not going to happen. At least with forums, you don't have to join to read (maybe to look at pics), FB is the plague and I'm not getting sick ;)

My XSP #1 is being sold, my XSP #2 is looking to be a backup as I may be getting a Typhoon H Pro for it's advantages.

In progress, if you'd care to elaborate, I'd listen.

I owned a Typhoon H, some of the latest updates coming out made the drone nice to fly. The camera can be hit and miss with it. Some give really good pictures some don't. Mine was part of the mix of don't. Night shots sucked with the camera, day shots where ok but you could tell something was amiss in the pictures.

Flying was ok, I could get out to about 1500' in town and in the desert I could get out to 2700' with it. Support was good, I called a few times. However one quirk of the camera was for some reason in 4k mode I could not get a picture on the remote. As soon as I changed to 720p it would work fine but then would revert back to 4k mode even though the settings said it was on 720p mode.

It is BIG, took up much more room than 2 of my drones combined.

Last edited:
In progress, if you'd care to elaborate, I'd listen.

I put a bunch of research into buying my drone. Between the Phantom 4 Pro, X-Star and the Typhoon I ranked the X-Star in second behind the 4 Pro with the Typhoon a distant 3rd. The Typhoon is just too expensive for a pretty sub-par camera and most people say the build quality is poor to terrible. I ended up picking up the X-Star for the modular camera, carrying case, and support. While I wish the yaw issue had been resolved by this point at least the company is putting any work into it at all. DJI would likely just discontinue the model at this point and move on...

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy