Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

X-Star model choices

Riktar

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I tried looking online for the answer/opinion to my query regarding model choice (Wifi or Premium) and have come up with a conclusion regarding my choice.

A bit of history: I have been cobbling drones together for the past 7 years. A few crashes, some successes and tons of fun in general.

I have always been a LOS flier. My dabbling in GPS/flight route planning always had me nervous when I had to "trust" the software/hardware to do what I programmed in. Someday their will be redundancy but until then...

So anyway, if I am going to be a LOS flier of the X-Star, is there any reason to spend the Extra money on the Premium model? From what I have read (and hopefully interpreted correctly) the primary difference is in the method of Video transmission from the X-Star to the tablet I use. The flight control transmission is the same for both models?

And since my 60 year old eyes don't have the "range" they used to have, I am surmising that since the X-Star will (most likely) never be farther than the Wifi's transmission distance capability.

So if I am never going to trust the drone beyond what my eyes are capable of observing, any reason to choose the Premium over the WiFi model?

I just want to make sure I am not missing something else that the Premium has that the WiFi model doesn't.

I have had no experience with the WiFi model and only know what I have read about its communication range. However, the 900 MHz communication channel in the Premium model is used not only for video transmission, but also to transmit telemetry data such as aircraft GPS coordinates, battery status, etc. from the aircraft to the remote control unit. I am not sure what happens in ATTI mode, but the Premium automatically returns to home if 900 MHz communication is lost in GPS mode.

I am a Part 107 pilot who always flies according to FAA LOS rules and in fifteen-months of frequent Premium flying I have lost 900 MHz communication only once and that dropout lasted only a few seconds. In that instance the aircraft started to return to home, but I cancelled that and manually completed the mission when 900 MHz communication was re-established.

Reactions: Riktar
From Dronesetc.com:
The difference between both models in the series is the live view range. X Star Premium uses radio link for video compared to X Star that which uses Wi-Fi. The X Star Premium has twice of the transmission reach of the X Star. X Star has control and video transmission distance range of 0.62 miles, while the upgraded version can cover 1.2 miles. Also, the images are stored on a 64 GB micro SD card compared to the images of the X Star stored on a 16 GB card. X Star Premium comes with a splash-proof protective carrying case worth almost $100, unlike the X Star model

Reactions: Riktar
I have had no experience with the WiFi model and only know what I have read about its communication range. However, the 900 MHz communication channel in the Premium model is used not only for video transmission, but also to transmit telemetry data such as aircraft GPS coordinates, battery status, etc. from the aircraft to the remote control unit. I am not sure what happens in ATTI mode, but the Premium automatically returns to home if 900 MHz communication is lost in GPS mode.

I am a Part 107 pilot who always flies according to FAA LOS rules and in fifteen-months of frequent Premium flying I have lost 900 MHz communication only once and that dropout lasted only a few seconds. In that instance the aircraft started to return to home, but I cancelled that and manually completed the mission when 900 MHz communication was re-established.

I loose video feed connection quite a bit. I’m new so I don’t know if it’s a bug in the program or what. I use iPhone and have trouble getting the location of any of my flights. GPS mode is what I fly in with usually 16 Sats before taking off. So I’m on the fence for you. Just my experience! Good luck in choosing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I loose video feed connection quite a bit. I’m new so I don’t know if it’s a bug in the program or what. I use iPhone and have trouble getting the location of any of my flights. GPS mode is what I fly in with usually 16 Sats before taking off. So I’m on the fence for you. Just my experience! Good luck in choosing

Did you recently get an update from Apple? I've read that it's causing problems.

Did you recently get an update from Apple? I've read that it's causing problems.

Yes totally the issue! Ugh. I’ve spoken with Autel customer service and followed their instructions still no luck so I’m sure it’s an apple thing

Thank you all for the information and the links to info!!

Still weighing my decision....

Yes totally the issue! Ugh. I’ve spoken with Autel customer service and followed their instructions still no luck so I’m sure it’s an apple thing

What are you referring to with Apple... the iOS update? If so Autel needs to update to keep up like everyone else.
Personally, I never update my devices until I hear good things about it.

Thank you all for the information and the links to info!!

Still weighing my decision....
Keep in mind that while you probably won't have the quad too far away for the signal, the quality of the image is the major factor here. Even the Premium has a hard time with the video feed.

There isn't that big a gap in the price difference, IMO, for it to even be a consideration. You get more with the premium, period.

The gap in price difference is relative to a person's wallet as well as his planned usage.

Because I will NEVER trust a flying brick with spinning razor blades beyond my LOS I will never have a need to operate beyond that. Also, in my environment (and my designed usage of aerial photography) I will never be more than 800 ft from the drones position. Now there is the improved signal strength consideration of the XSP. And that is what I am figuring into my buying decision.

I will concede that on a large scale $200 (or so) isn't that great.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmanvm