Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Why doesn’t Explorer remember settings?

Nightbat2

Reaction score
Or is it just me? I always do my preflight checks, but it would be nice if the changes you made to settings could be remembered and stored. I have to go through, gimbal, yaw and various other settings every time I fire it up.

When I first got my XSP I realized that if I made changes to my settings in the app and it wasn't connected to the drone it wouldn't take. Are you connected when you change the settings? Mine saved once I did it that way.

Reactions: Nightbat2
When I first got my XSP I realized that if I made changes to my settings in the app and it wasn't connected to the drone it wouldn't take. Are you connected when you change the settings? Mine saved once I did it that way.
Ah, okay—that’s probably the answer.

Reactions: Tufargon
Strange. My Evo remembers all of it's settings. At the beginning it didn't, but started after an update.
Yeah, I assumed, wrongly, that I could save those settings that the app apparently lets you change without being connected. Obviously not.

Reactions: Ansia
I saved several waypoints missions without being connected and they all saved. Have not tried the new missions planner yet. Don't think I tried saving the options in the app without connected.
butch

Or is it just me? I always do my preflight checks, but it would be nice if the changes you made to settings could be remembered and stored. I have to go through, gimbal, yaw and various other settings every time I fire it up.

The master flight settings are stored inside the drone.

When connecting a powered drone to the app, the drone resets the app to match the drone's internal master flight settings.

There can be only one master file and it makes sense for the drone to own the master settings for these (and perhaps other) reasons...

1. The EVO is able to fly without an app. If I lose my phone, I can still fly. If my phone dies while in the air, the drone keeps flying. If the phone owns the master settings, then what?

2. If I fiddle with my phone offline and change an innocuous setting -- the drone will ignore these changes and reset the app to its last-flown defaults. This lets me poke around the app offline without worrying about how it might affect actual settings.

3. Sometimes I fly with a tablet instead of a phone, and having the master settings stored inside the drone ensures that settings from the previous flight are my default settings -- no matter what device I use to run the app.

4. Lastly, even if we *could* upload settings from the app to the drone, my preflight process would still include checking key settings with the drone connected and powered. With practice, this takes very little time, and for the sake of flight safety and getting my drone back in one piece, I can live with a bit of checking and tweaking each time. In short -- driving the bus from the app would not save much time.

The master flight settings are stored inside the drone.

When connecting a powered drone to the app, the drone resets the app to match the drone's internal master flight settings.

There can be only one master file and it makes sense for the drone to own the master settings for these (and perhaps other) reasons...

1. The EVO is able to fly without an app. If I lose my phone, I can still fly. If my phone dies while in the air, the drone keeps flying. If the phone owns the master settings, then what?

2. If I fiddle with my phone offline and change an innocuous setting -- the drone will ignore these changes and reset the app to its last-flown defaults. This lets me poke around the app offline without worrying about how it might affect actual settings.

3. Sometimes I fly with a tablet instead of a phone, and having the master settings stored inside the drone ensures that settings from the previous flight are my default settings -- no matter what device I use to run the app.

4. Lastly, even if we *could* upload settings from the app to the drone, my preflight process would still include checking key settings with the drone connected and powered. With practice, this takes very little time, and for the sake of flight safety and getting my drone back in one piece, I can live with a bit of checking and tweaking each time. In short -- driving the bus from the app would not save much time.
Excellent explanation. Thanks. Although I’ve been flying my Evo since March, I’ve only recently started playing with the app—my old Windows phone can’t do it and my 12.9inch iPad Pro is way too big, so waited until I got a smaller, relatively cheap tablet. Since then we’ve had days of unsuitable weather so I was sitting inside working my way through the app without the drone or controller. And yes, I run through a WRITTEN checklist before I fly.

Excellent explanation. Thanks. Although I’ve been flying my Evo since March, I’ve only recently started playing with the app—my old Windows phone can’t do it and my 12.9inch iPad Pro is way too big, so waited until I got a smaller, relatively cheap tablet. Since then we’ve had days of unsuitable weather so I was sitting inside working my way through the app without the drone or controller. And yes, I run through a WRITTEN checklist before I fly.

Indeed, where you have a consistent process, I imagined you working from a written checklist. And yes -- a small tablet is the way to go.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacqueslambert