Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Why do drones have two antennae?

norman.hicks.35

Reaction score
I assume this has something to do with simultaneously sending and receiving signals, but other radio controlled craft I am familiar with make use of a single antenna (think RC cars and model airplanes). Perhaps one is for control and the other for telemetry data? Anyone know?

don't forget we have video transmission coming back from the craft in addition to the telemetry and control signals going to the craft, lots of data.

Also, depending on which side of the drone is facing you, it switches antennas to give you the best reception possible. If the antenna was facing away from you on the other side of the drone, you would lose signal pretty quickly.

One makes it go up, one makes it go down. They share all other duties. That's what I think....

Most current RC systems are diversity systems with twin antenna's and some are quad now (Dual antenna on main receiver and then a remote dual antenna pack that is placed at 90 degrees to the receiver and at a distance in the craft for optimal reception). From the picture below the gray area is poor reception.

1548259981310.png

Last edited:
Reactions: mixchief

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonhenkelman