Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

When and how much use do you use the built in OLED screen for flying

TJBC75

Reaction score
Hi all,

Finally pulled the trigger and bought an Evo with the On the Go Bundle. Should be receiving it later this week. Pretty excited about the new bird. My question, how many of you use the built in OLED screen to fly instead of a phone/tablet? Is it that much faster to get in the air then using a phone or tablet? How is the built in screen in the sun for viewing? Limitations/downside/tradeoffs when using the built in screen? I often go on driving trips where an opportunity may arise for some dramatic video/photos may present itself along the road, but time is often at a premium when the family is with me - they don't want to wait around too long while I fiddle with the drone settings and get it up in the air. In your opinion, will the built in screen and using the Evo help with this situation? Thanks.

I use it from time to time. When I want to do a quick flight or if I know what is my exact target, I will use the controller screen for the shooting. If I want to do a more complicated shot or I have a specific agenda and I want to have full features and being able to change settings quickly, I fly with a phone. The screen does not cope well with direct Tropical Sun, so using your body or a shade is a must. The controller is 330 nits, my phone is 1100 nits, so I prefer the phone when flying at noon.

Limitations is that you have to use a scrolling wheel to get your settings straight vs touching what you want on a phone or tablet.

Downside is that you cannot use waypoints, orbit, etc; since it's all part of the Explorer app.

Tradeoff, as I said before, you can get your drone up in the air up to 10 -15 seconds faster using the screen. It may not sound like a lot of time, but when you see the perfect shot that you want to record, that window may close on those 10-15 seconds you wasted hooking up the phone.

I love using the built in screen. I unfortunately don't use it often anymore, for one reason. Currently there is no way to extract the flight data from the controller in the field. So if you have a downed craft you are SOL. If you have a downed craft and Autel asks for the flight logs, you could be SOL.

I suggested Autel do a firmware and app update to allow that syncing the next time the Explorer app is connected. If they make that enhancement, I will use it more. Until they only for quick short flights.

Being I lost my Bebop and was only able to recover it because of the flight data, this one scares the crap out of me.

I love using the built in screen. I unfortunately don't use it often anymore, for one reason. Currently there is no way to extract the flight data from the controller in the field. So if you have a downed craft you are SOL. If you have a downed craft and Autel asks for the flight logs, you could be SOL.

I suggested Autel do a firmware and app update to allow that syncing the next time the Explorer app is connected. If they make that enhancement, I will use it more. Until they only for quick short flights.

Being I lost my Bebop and was only able to recover it because of the flight data, this one scares the crap out of me.
There should be logs on the AC, RC, and phone. In case of losing it, Autel can help you extract those logs.

I don't use it much as I like utilizing the smart flight modes which require a phone, but i love it being there anyway, just incase... oled screens are awesome, even when the phones hooked up, I really like having it there with the flight data.

There should be logs on the AC, RC, and phone. In case of losing it, Autel can help you extract those logs.

As my post stated, if I am only using the controller, no phone to record the flight, if I lose the drone no aircraft, and as I said in the field, by the time I get home, extract the data into a usable format my quad could be toast....

I know Autel can do a lotof things, but that does not help me in the field when i am hundreds of miles from home.

Reactions: mixchief
This is a potentially big issue which hadn't occurred to me. But it becomes less of an issue if the lack of a flight log means that Autel accept warranty claims without that evidence. If they do then the lack of flight data might even be a positive for the consumer. How have Autel handled such claims so far?

My question, how many of you use the built in OLED screen to fly instead of a phone/tablet? Is it that much faster to get in the air then using a phone or tablet? How is the built in screen in the sun for viewing? Limitations/downside/tradeoffs when using the built in screen?
Welcome to the fold. I certainly use the RC on its own quite often but my missions are unplanned and very local. The OLED screen is excellent and better in the sun than my iPad screen, although neither can combat full glare.

When I foresee a need to use the iPad for a few days, I leave it attached to the RC which reduces scramble time - although this isn't an option if you're travelling with a cased-up EVO. I also keep the legs extended and I leave the gimbal cover off which means that from the comfort of my own home, I can be flying from a semi-comatose state in little more than the time it takes to receive the satellites. And if I were to travel by car, I would devise a mooring on the floor of the car so that my EVO, legs open and RC pre-connected to my iPad could be ready to scramble at a moment's notice.

I guess this would not meet with widespread approval but at least I would avoid the stress and strain of repeatedly opening and closing the EVO's legs which may shorten their life.

The on board screen has saved me a couple of times when my phone died in mid flight. Each time I was trying to use the screen recorder app in the phone. Don't know if that was the cause of the problem or not but the phone battery depleted in a hurry. It's a very nice feature to have the FPV screen on the controller. I've used it several times just because it was a quick flight, wanted to get in the quickly and didn't want to take the time to fumble around with mounting the phone and hooking up the USB cable. This is actually one of the reasons I purchased the EVO.

Reactions: LowNoise
I'd use it more often if they could integrate a Histogram in the display. Even a tiny one.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller