Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

What are the highest wind/gusts speeds that makes sense to fly in?

Sunny Skies

Reaction score
I have an upcoming assignment to photograph a large suburban apartment complex with my Autel Evo 2 Pro 6k drone.

Winds are predicted to be about 20mph with gusts up to 30mph.

What are the highest wind/gusts speeds that makes sense to fly in?

Autel says it’s rated for Wind Force of 8. That relates to:

839-46 mph34-40 knotsGale Winds

I know it can handle 20-30 mph winds well. Use your best judgment. Good luck!

Reactions: JohnOfDrones
I been up to 38 mph (not recommended) and switch to Ludicrous (is that a word?) speed to force the return home. Something that help me a lot is fly against the wind and return with the wind pushing the drone.

I just had a debate with a now former client about exactly this. I have a firm 20 MPH cut-off...doesn't matter if it's sustained or gusts.

It's not that I'm worried that the aircraft can't handle the wind; it can. I'm thinking ahead to a GPS failure and subsequent fly away. I'd rather not have to address that sort of issue on a windy day.

My experience is that still photos start to suffer with ~15 MPH wind. Certain maneuvers (i.e. an orbit) also become less precise. So, I stick to my 20 MPH policy, even if it is arguably conservative.

They handle the wind quite well. I wouldn't do a range test in high winds and don't push the battery till it's dead and you should be fine. Be prepared to switch to ludicrous mode to bring it back because it can be difficult to gauge wind direction when up in the air.

For work I set a 25 mph ceiling but I found the craft can be flown in gusts up to 40. Personally I wouldn't launch my $1,500 investment in 30 mph without taking extreme precaution. I'm saying this after launching last evening and experiencing 35 mph gusts at 180 ft aloft to catch a fantastic snowscape sunset. The new attitude indicator really helped me determine that I was at the limits of safe flight. You don't want to see that thing go perpendicular

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 6.58.52 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 6.58.52 PM.jpg
    485.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reactions: Ram and bseasmd

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members