Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Video quality

rkyleh

Reaction score
I know everybody says shoot in 4K. I just don't see it. I just shot 3, 45 second segment's from the same spot using the same battery and changed my settings on the fly so I could get as close to the same shot as I could. 4k, 2k, 1080 all at 30 fps. I watched all the videos one after the other and there wasn't enough difference to sneeze at. The 4K is 2.4 times larger than the 1080 and it sure isn't 2.4 times better in fact these old eyes can't see the difference. So for me I will shoot in 1080 just because it works so much better on my machine and I don't have to go through that time consuming down sizing ugh. And like the man says in my humble opinion.
Screenshot (21) 328,093 KB 4K 30.pngScreenshot (22) 248,684 KB 2K 30.pngScreenshot (23) 136,587 KB       1080 30.png

Reactions: goferfan
Rambling thoughts time... The 1080p shot looks softer than the other two, but still good, the 2K & 4K look identical to me... There’s so many variables...........

I shoot 4K primarily b/c I might want the most raw image data I can get since I might never be there again (like the Kapoho footage of areas now buried by lava). I use a relatively new 2015 MacBook Pro w/16gb of memory so editing 4K isn’t hard. Mastering at the highest level can take a long time though, with internal fans begging for mercy.

Most 2018 TV’s are 4K HDR, but I really can’t see a noticeable difference in 4K sharpness until I get over 55”. I think HDR is more important, it can make a difference in color/contrast, but only to higher-end, newer 4K HDR TV’s that can TRULY display HDR 10 standards and/or Dolby Vision — and only on content made to those standards!

Our little drone imagers can’t hope to compete with professional imagers in dynamic range, noise, a number of things, but they’re pretty good considering. We also can’t compete with their S/W, edit suites or mastering skills.

Better 4K TV’s upscale 1080p to 4K pretty well, so that blurs the whole thing too. On a new 75” Sony OLED, well-mastered 4K HDR content looks STUNNING. But hardly anyone is making that kind of content — a few Netflix & Amazon shows (Bosch, The Grand Tour, etc.). To streaming it, you need a fast connection, high data cap, and good equipment (Apple 4K TV, Roku Ultimate).

I watch my videos from .mov files on a good, Best Buy sale 65” Sony, but not OLED, it’s too damn pricey... ok, I’m tired now...:)

So for me I will shoot in 1080 just because it works so much better on my machine and I don't have to go through that time consuming down sizing ugh. And like the man says in my humble opinion.

I agree with you in the older machine and older eyes. Much quicker processing with limited resources. On my desktop screen, the videos look OK, although some of the videos from here (and Youtube) are "trying" on my ancient processor.

But I recently hooked up a Roku to my old 58" Samsung plasma and viewing Youtube vids through the newer and faster Roku has shown big differences. Any of your videos look remarkably better on the big screen. Probably a combination of Roku upconverting to fit my screen, easier on my tired eyes and better seating arrangements in the living room. :D

Reactions: HiloHawaiian

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fischcrazy