Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

V1 or V2 extended range antennas?

Yes, the Alientech Pro with the modded stock V1 controller is now a decent backup for the M2P where GEO is an issue, which was the primary objective in the EVO 2 Pro purchase, in addition to the touted 40 minute fictional flight time, that sadly always starts out at 32 minutes, and sadly its 360° panos take 4 minutes each, instead of a mere 60 seconds on the M2P!

M2P is always my first choice. OcuSync 2.0 is still far better than the even the Alientech Pro on the EVO 2 Pro. The 5.8Ghz band is essential to OcuSync's success. I fly mostly at sunset, so the iPad is not a problem on either aircraft. If glare is a problem, I just find some shade. M3 with OcuSync 3+ is coming November 5th! True 46 minute flight time at 15mph and a real 15km stock range with a dual camera: wide angle on an MFT sensor, and a 3x optical telephoto on a 1/2” sensor! Happy, safe flying!
"True 46 minute flight time" Sure, because DJI numbers will be better than last time when they said the Air 2s had "true 32 minute" flight time... good luck getting 23 minutes out of those packs. It won't be 46 minutes. You'll be happy with 30 if that. Also FYI, E2P starts at 32 minutes, but if you fly with it.. it gets a lot more... I've gotten 36 out of mine to 15% DOD which is right inline with their numbers... flying is more efficient than hovering.

"True 46 minute flight time" Sure, because DJI numbers will be better than last time when they said the Air 2s had "true 32 minute" flight time... good luck getting 23 minutes out of those packs. It won't be 46 minutes. You'll be happy with 30 if that. Also FYI, E2P starts at 32 minutes, but if you fly with it.. it gets a lot more... I've gotten 36 out of mine to 15% DOD which is right inline with their numbers... flying is more efficient than hovering.
Correct. I will be very happy with even 30 minutes at 30mph, as I already get 23-25 minutes out of the M2P at that speed, and the M2P is rated at a 31 minute flight time. 50% more (46 mins instead of 31 mins) would be a realistic 36 minutes for my style of flying. DJI at least states the basis for their 46 minutes is no wind and 15mph which should be replicable. Autel Robotics gives no basis for their E2P 40 minute claim, and I have flown (not hovered) the E2P at 22mph until total battery exhaustion of 0% (forced landing) and it did not even exceed 30 minutes, after starting out at 32 minutes on the 10th charge cycle. Unfortunately, I want the extra flight time for more 360° panos during the flight, and the E2P takes 4 minutes to shoot them, instead of 60 seconds like the M2P. Even at 36 minutes on the E2P, I could only shoot 3 more 360° panos. On the M3, at 36 minutes, I should be able to shoot 12 more 360° panos than on the M2P in 24 minutes.

In all candor, what is your secret to getting 36 minutes on the E2P? I would love to replicate your results. What speed are you flying at, and what was the total distance covered during that flight?

Last edited:
Correct. I will be very happy with even 30 minutes at 30mph, as I already get 23-25 minutes out of the M2P at that speed, and the M2P is rated at a 31 minute flight time. 50% more (46 mins instead of 31 mins) would be a realistic 36 minutes for my style of flying. DJI at least states the basis for their 46 minutes is no wind and 15mph which should be replicable. Autel Robotics gives no basis for their E2P 40 minute claim, and I have flown (not hovered) the E2P at 22mph until total battery exhaustion of 0% (forced landing) and it did not even exceed 30 minutes, after starting out at 32 minutes on the 10th charge cycle. Unfortunately, I want the extra flight time for more 360° panos during the flight, and the E2P takes 4 minutes to shoot them, instead of 60 seconds like the M2P. Even at 36 minutes on the E2P, I could only shoot 3 more 360° panos. On the M3, at 36 minutes, I should be able to shoot 12 more 360° panos than on the M2P in 24 minutes.

In all candor, what is your secret to getting 36 minutes on the E2P? I would love to replicate your results. What speed are you flying at, and what was the total distance covered during that flight?
11mph in little to no wind... flying with minimal turns or very large radius point of interest.
And I charge my batteries on a regular schedule, and do a deep discharge (10% remaining) 1x per month before recharging.

And just for clarity, my E2Pro gets about 30 minutes... its the Evo II Enterprise that gets 36 minutes.

Reactions: G_G
11mph in little to no wind... flying with minimal turns or very large radius point of interest.
And I charge my batteries on a regular schedule, and do a deep discharge (10% remaining) 1x per month before recharging.

And just for clarity, my E2Pro gets about 30 minutes... its the Evo II Enterprise that gets 36 minutes.
Thank you for the helpful reply and clarification. Looks like my E2Pro flight time is about the same as yours. Any idea why the Evo II Enterprise does so much better?

Thank you for the helpful reply and clarification. Looks like my E2Pro flight time is about the same as yours. Any idea why the Evo II Enterprise does so much better?
I guess is because the larger propellers, longer arms and motors, so better performance 🤔 also the Evo Enterprise makes less noise

Because it might be difficult to hold onto being unbalanced. Same with mounting LifThor/ Monitors. My plan is to use these and put the AlienTech Duo II on the SC. Cheap it's not. It will also be quite a heavy obnoxious thing. But that's where I am probably going with my V2 SC.
View attachment 12126
These special AlienTech connectors for the SmartController V1/V2 arrived today, tested these with my AlienTech Pro 2.4 ghz with the SC V1.

Before I share the good news, first a big thank you Blair Air for providing the link. Thank you!

Originally tried the AlienTech Pro with my SC V1 with a different type of connecter setup. Using 2.4 ghz, did not see any improvement nor less. Apparently, when I first tried the AlienTech booster with my SC V1 it’s quite possible had a weak or bad connection. Well, Today let me share very so impressed the AlienTech Pro 2.4 ghz tremendously increased the signal with the SC V1.

Had a grin ear to ear during the flight, Compared with DJI soon to be released occusync 3 strongly feel it will not touch an Autel SmartController connected with an AlienTech. The AlienTech turned the Autel SmartController into a beast, without the AlienTech booster the stock SC V1 was already a winner now with the booster it’s in another galaxy a league of its own.

When mounted, the booster portion swivels for users preference. Looking forward to viewing others experiences when adding on the AlienTech booster to the SC V1/V2. Since my model is the AlienTech Pro model, only has 2.4 ghz. Had to manually select 2.4 ghz band, Sorry for the long post. Haven’t been this excited with a booster setup since adding the AlienTech to the stock Evo 2 controller, that was a major breakthrough and with the SC it’s even better much much better!

Paul

81811024-9571-4BD2-AB2B-B43376084B91.jpeg

81811024-9571-4BD2-AB2B-B43376084B91.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: SARty
These special AlienTech connectors for the SmartController V1/V2 arrived today, tested these with my AlienTech Pro 2.4 ghz with the SC V1.

Before I share the good news, first a big thank you Blair Air for providing the link. Thank you!

Originally tried the AlienTech Pro with my SC V1 with a different type of connecter setup. Using 2.4 ghz, did not see any improvement nor less. Apparently, when I first tried the AlienTech booster with my SC V1 it’s quite possible had a weak or bad connection. Well, Today let me share very so impressed the AlienTech Pro 2.4 ghz tremendously increased the signal with the SC V1.

Had a grin ear to ear during the flight, Compared with DJI soon to be released occusync 3 strongly feel it will not touch an Autel SmartController connected with an AlienTech. The AlienTech turned the Autel SmartController into a beast, without the AlienTech booster the stock SC V1 was already a winner now with the booster it’s in another galaxy a league of its own.

When mounted, the booster portion swivels for users preference. Looking forward to viewing others experiences when adding on the AlienTech booster to the SC V1/V2. Since my model is the AlienTech Pro model, only has 2.4 ghz. Had to manually select 2.4 ghz band, Sorry for the long post. Haven’t been this excited with a booster setup since adding the AlienTech to the stock Evo 2 controller, that was a major breakthrough and with the SC it’s even better much much better!

Paul

View attachment 12186

View attachment 12186
Just shows you how good the Alientech Pro is—it can even fix the crappy range of the Autel SC! For me, the only reason to purchase the SC V1 was the touted increased range using a dual band with 5.8Ghz. However, that turned out to be a complete fabrication on both counts! No 5.8 Ghz on the V1 and no range improvement, so the Alientech Pro did to the free included stock RC what the $1200 SC V1 was supposed to do, for a mere $450, saving $850 after tax! I prefer a lightweight iPad to the bulky SC. Same ear to ear grin, just a different RC attached to the venerable Alientech Pro!

Sorry to hear your experience with the SC V1 wasn’t very good, maybe someday you'll get another opportunity to try another one see if there are differences between the two.

AlienTech Pro is very good, especially for stock Evo 2 controller and with SC V1. I had opposite results with my SC V1 with stock antennas, it did indeed get great good range over Evo 2 stock controller especially in areas with interference. No doubt there, for me my personal experience with SC V1 is great even with stock antennas. However, now the SC V1 with AlienTech definitely see an increased range especially in areas with interference. One particular area, With SC V1 before attaching AlienTech Pro could only fly at an elevation of 153 ft. Now, Same area with AlienTech Pro attached to SC V1 can fly at 75 to 100 ft elevation.

I’ll still use the stock antennas with the SC V1, but going forward in areas with interference will definitely use AlienTech Pro with the SC V1 to capture those incredible shots in areas need to get up close.

Paul

Paul

View attachment 12186

View attachment 12186
Thank YOU sir! Really nice to see and hear it worked out so well. They look really well designed and I expect I will have great results as well. I did receive my V2 SC around October 9th and flybevery day with it. Range in my case is improved in mist areas and when it's good, it's phenomenal!

I dontbthink it cam magically overcome interference- damn! Lol, but in marginally poor areas it does better. In areas that were good before, it's easily 50% better in clear signal put really far. Not sure what to make of the update 2 days ago on App and FW for SC. It now fires up in 5.8, instead of 2.4 - not Auto for some reason as I hoped. It's a step in the right direction in any event!

Paul: One thing I'm confused about. Your photos are from the operators view and shows cables as well as adapters. I'm planning on the expensive Duo 2 - $469 plus the adapters. I thought the SMA (Controller side) to QMA(Antenna side) would just attach and tighten into the Duo 2 connectors, with no cables involved. You seem to have both? Where, pray tell, do the cables in your picture terminate if the SMA connectors have the adapter attached to them?

Perhaps a picture from the connection area? Or just explain it, like you would to a small, simple child with a learning disorder. That might help. I hope.

Lol - Thanks!

Last edited:
Thank YOU sir! Really nice to see and hear it worked out so well. They look really well designed and I expect I will have great results as well. I did receive my V2 SC around October 9th and flybevery day with it. Range in my case is improved in mist areas and when it's good, it's phenomenal!

I dontbthink it cam magically overcome interference- damn! Lol, but in marginally poor areas it does better. In areas that were good before, it's easily 50% better in clear signal put really far. Not sure what to make of the update 2 days ago on App and FW for SC. It now fires up in 5.8, instead of 2.4 - not Auto for some reason as I hoped. It's a step in the right direction in any event!

Paul: One thing I'm confused about. Your photos are from the operators view and shows cables as well as adapters. I'm planning on the expensive Duo 2 - $469 plus the adapters. I thought the SMA (Controller side) to QMA(Antenna side) would just attach and tighten into the Duo 2 connectors, with no cables involved. You seem to have both? Where, pray tell, do the cables in your picture terminate if the SMA connectors have the adapter attached to them?

Perhaps a picture from the connection area? Or just explain it, like you would to a small, simple child with a learning disorder. That might help. I hope.

Lol - Thanks!
Hello BlairAir,

Sounds like you’re experiencing an improvement with the SC over the stock Evo 2 controller, I’m glad to hear this several of us are as well. With good connections, AlienTech will increase signal on SC but it’s an expensive addition and adds a little more weight. Honestly, stock SC is still impressive.

Will enclose a few pictures, hopefully these help you understand how the adapter connects to the AlienTech booster. Plus, I’m not too familiar with AlienTech’s models if some may connect differently from the others? But here’s my setup, hopefully it’s like yours.

Please don’t hesitate to ask for more pictures, I’ll try and help anyway I can.

Thanks!
Paul

10543AE6-3378-4F6A-8C8A-F7320C5E1E2F.jpeg2D184878-9069-4539-A4EF-9B90291BCD86.jpeg
FE4F393C-5D5F-42EC-8626-ED6FDCF2AF08.jpegDD5C92ED-FDE6-427D-9DD5-EDC11783B400.jpeg

Please don’t hesitate to ask for more pictures, I’ll try and help anyway I can.

Thanks for posting the photos.

It’s hard to tell without seeing it in person, but can those connectors handle a solid bump on the booster? Previous designs have a solid connection point between the controller and booster, so I’m curious if this will withstand the torture of daily use in the field.

Thanks for posting the photos.

It’s hard to tell without seeing it in person, but can those connectors handle a solid bump on the booster? Previous designs have a solid connection point between the controller and booster, so I’m curious if this will withstand the torture of daily use in the field.
Hello SARty,

Great question, a very very hard bump could possibly damage the inside connector component area. Yes, I can see that happening if dropped directly pushing in the AlienTech into the inside connector area.

I’m already looking into making a lightweight bottom bracket to secure the AlienTech bracket, connects underneath upper SC controlder to AlienTech bracket. Small lightweight piece maybe 2.5” inches by 3” inches 1/8” thick, no weight to it and still allow the AlienTech to swivel.

Very good question, Appreciate you chiming in!

Ahh, I see said the blind man! Didn't realize the actual connections on the AlienTech- at least the Pro 2.4 model where down there. So the adapter connects to the bracket where connections run shot cables to the bottom back of the antenna module.
I see you got it all into the HPC Rugged case too, barely! I bought a separate Evo 2 bag that fits the drone and 4 batteries (plus the standard controller but I'm not using it lately) It's much smaller and easier to lug around, but now I had to get a small Nanuk case -910 with pick foam to fit the SC...

The challenges! If I do go 👽 I will have to re-jigger the whole setup again!

I love how you stuffed a Mavic 2 in there, using the FoxFury cutout for batteries. If you got it, utilize it! Thanks for the pics!
20211031_205556.jpg
20211031_205418.jpg
20211031_205306.jpg
I could even go 5 batteries in that little bag, but at their cost and since the charger only manages 4 I'll resist the urge. Crazy that the controller case is almost bigger than the one that holds drone, batteries, charger, filters and more. I heard someone lament they probably can't fly the nano with the SC... Just the visual of flying a drone with a controller that weighs 6x as much cracks me up!

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
Yes, exactly as you described the connection setup. That’s how it mounts, Too bad it didn’t mount directly to AlienTech booster eliminating the cable connection.

Your setup is nice, actually safe keeping SC separate from drone and batteries. Nothing wrong with this setup, clean and protects.
A larger carry bad to hold the SC and Evo 2 with four batteries would be great, eliminating the second carrying case.

On the sidelines of getting the nano, and wait until reviews are out. If it’ll work with an ipad, definitely reconsider and get a nano.

Enjoy the Evo 2 V2 setup, boy you’re set that’s one incredible setup!

Yes, the Alientech Pro with the modded stock V1 controller is now a decent backup for the M2P where GEO is an issue, which was the primary objective in the EVO 2 Pro purchase, in addition to the touted 40 minute fictional flight time, that sadly always starts out at 32 minutes, and sadly its 360° panos take 4 minutes each, instead of a mere 60 seconds on the M2P!

M2P is always my first choice. OcuSync 2.0 is still far better than the even the Alientech Pro on the EVO 2 Pro. The 5.8Ghz band is essential to OcuSync's success. I fly mostly at sunset, so the iPad is not a problem on either aircraft. If glare is a problem, I just find some shade. M3 with OcuSync 3+ is coming November 5th! True 46 minute flight time at 15mph and a real 15km stock range with a dual camera: wide angle on an MFT sensor, and a 3x optical telephoto on a 1/2” sensor! Happy, safe flying!
How is it you know that M3 will have true 46min flight time to 15km.. hahaha.
I always know your posts will be the same old thing you never stop harping about, but i think you will find yourself dissappointed with you preferred DJI and its claims for the M3. I wonder if you will then start haunting the mavic forums with continued whinging….

How is it you know that M3 will have true 46min flight time to 15km.. hahaha.
I always know your posts will be the same old thing you never stop harping about, but i think you will find yourself dissappointed with you preferred DJI and its claims for the M3. I wonder if you will then start haunting the mavic forums with continued whinging….
In case you haven't been following along, I'm only expecting 36 minutes out of the advertised 46 minutes for my style of flying, 50% more than I get now with the M2P. The M2P is rated at 31 minutes and I get 24 minutes flying at a continuous 31mph. Even the M2P already has a realistic flight range of 5 miles completely stock. Stick with your EVO/EVO 2 if that makes you happy. What's a whinger? LOL! Try spell check next time!

What's a whinger? LOL! Try spell check next time!

#1 - I agree with you that OcuSync 2 is better than Autel's current offerings. But we don't know yet what the next round will bring. In the meantime, this thread is discussing workable solutions (which you yourself own).

#2 - Let's remember that this is an international forum and, spell check or not, native English speaker or not, words you understand or not, let's treat everyone with respect.

#3 - Definition of WHINGE

Last edited:
Reactions: Anzacjack
#1 - I agree with you that OcuSync 2 is better than Autel's current offerings. But we don't know yet what the next round will bring.

#2 - Let's remember that this is an international forum and, spell check or not, native English speaker or not, words you understand or not, let's treat everyone with respect.

#3 - Definition of WHINGE
#1- Why should OcuSync 3+ be any worse than OcuSync 2, which has already proven itself over the last 3 years, and OcuSync 3 on the Air 2S is already measurably better than OcuSync 2? I am not looking for more out of OcuSync 3+, but Autel still has nothing even close to OcuSync of any version, and DJI's keeps getting better. Indeed, I do own, and am happy with, my workable aftermarket solution to the lousy stock range of the Evo 2 Pro, but I am still disappointed by the EVO 2 Pro taking 4 minutes to shoot each and every 360° pano, which defeats the benefit for me of any increase in flight time over the M2P, except where GEO is an issue. Mavic 3 will have no such problems, and will have a realistic 50% increase in flight time over the M2P, useable for an additional 360° pano every 60 seconds.

#2- My bad! Didn't realize I was dealing with an Aussie, and needed an international dictionary to understand his insults! He is the one who started this with his disparaging, personal, disrespectful "international" comment, which was totally uncalled for, and had he ever been on a Mavic forum, he would know that I have never had any issue to "whinge" about pertaining to any Mavic (and I own all of them!), and I am not about to start now with the Mavic 3.

#3- Maybe being disrespectful is just an Aussie thing that I am also supposed to understand and accept? Does disrespectful have a different definition in Australia?

Last edited:
I forgot to include a picture of the box that my box for the V2 Smart Controller came in. When I saw the sticker on the box I knew I had the right one. It's still a bit tight, but I wanted low profile, and just enough space for the Controller, charger/cable and harness. It's about as perfect as you can get short of a custom fit case which neither Autel nor anyone else has deemed worthwhile to engineer -the SC is not exactly a mass market item, and isn't likely to become common at $1200 and pairs with a single drone series. As for now I have a secure, lightweight case. I have a shoulder strap coming for it today to be able to carry it and the Autel soft case when walking any distance. One review for the shoulder bag was a woman saying she got it for her boyfriend so he could stop looking like he was carrying a bomb around, lol!

Check out the sticker. A match for my SC for sure!
20211102_095119.jpg

Very nice BlairAir, and weatherproof makes it even better. Has additional room for other stuff, if you decide to make room for other parts.

Good job!

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58