Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Upgrade to 1.3.3

I fly from my boat 90% of the time I am using my drone.

Never said it is not done, just said its not recommended. Over the last 4 years I have seen posts of UAV's taking a swim for one reason or the other. With the small foldable UAV's it can be done a lot safer then before with hand catching and such.
Before starting to fly a drone, its stabilization system needs to initialize the embedded movement sensors (gyros, accelerometers, etc ...) in order to have the necessary reference points to manage the flight. To perform this initialization, it is mandatory that the aircraft remains completely motionless for a few moments.
Such an asset is practically impossible on a moving platform like the deck of a boat. The construction of the vessel itself may play a factor as the vessel may be aluminium, steel or fibreglass. This can also create magnetic fields on board (deviation) which can directly affect signal and compass calibration making your drone fly in an unintended manner.
Just remember these are flying machines and do not float very well so if it does take a dive chances are it is gone for ever.

Sorry, just made the post public. Should work now.

Wish it was footage from the SDcard for better viewing but from the video you posted I saw two things. 1st near the beginning on a couple of fast turns the horizon tilted and had to recover. The good part was it did recover. 2nd thing the Orbit in my opinion is no different then what anyone has posted the last couple of weeks. If looking and focusing on the center of the Orbit it looks smooth but moving out to the outer edges the camera is still playing catch up. The edges are jerky and not acceptable for some clients wanting to showcase a house. I think there is still work to be done.

Absolutely correct on all but this firmware is a big improvement at least on my machine. SD card upload of this flight in process now, will post a link later.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
SD card uploads of my previous screen recording.

Autel EVO Gimbal horizon test post Ver. 1.3.3, SOOC

Autel EVO Orbit test post Ver. 1.3.3, SOOC

These still look much improved from the 1.2.3 firmware.

Reactions: DadCorso80

Orbit mode is so much better!

Reactions: mvarney82
Wow, I guess I am just not seeing the much improved part of the Orbits. The jerky moves is even more noticeable then the DUrecorder video.

Agustine, I see problems, but I wonder if they are the same as you noticed. When playing the actual orbit portion of the video at full screen (720p on my laptop), I see some jerkiness, but it seems to be caused by the YouTube player. If I back up over a section where there is a shudder and play it again (the left arrow key works well for this), the shudder does not occur in the same place, if at all. I am also not seeing any obvious gimbal back-and-forth at the edges. It seems more like a dropped-frame issue (caused by the player) than a problem with the original video.
There is, however, significant jerkiness when the operator starts or stops a manual movement, such as pitch or yaw. That seems to be a different issue, though. I wonder if Autel could reprogram it to "ease in" on those movements.
So, is this what you're seeing, or is it something else?

In the second video the horizon tilt is just aweful. I'm assuming you didn't perform a gimbal calibration before testing the orbit shot? It also looks like the tower gets shifted to the right. Is there a problem keeping the poi in the middle of the frame or do you have to keep using yaw to keep the poi centered in the frame?

Last edited:
Every time I see that horizon tilt so far off and skewed. I'm thinking.. what a horrible way to advertise a new $1000 drone. It screams "Houston we have a problem". Even if they fix it, there are so many videos out there already. Such a shame.

Reactions: goferfan
In the second video the horizon tilt is just aweful. I'm assuming you didn't perform a gimbal calibration before testing the orbit shot? It also looks like the tower gets shifted to the right. Is there a problem keeping the poi in the middle of the frame or do you have to keep using yaw to keep the poi centered in the frame?
Correct no calibration, actually they were both one flight/video. The orbit was totally autonomous.

Reactions: Autelguy
Correct no calibration, actually they were both one flight/video. The orbit was totally autonomous.

Thanks. Would you mind doing another orbit but instead of being 100 percent autonomous, could you try pitching and yawing while performing the orbit? Thanks again for posting the videos.

I feel like opening a Go Fund me account so we can hire a real programmer to help Autel out. Obviously smooth orbits keeping the subject focused and centered is not an impossibility. It looks like 1.3.3 should be labeled Alpha and not Beta. Sorry I don't mean to sound like a *****, I just really want to buy one knowing these are non issues first.

Thanks. Would you mind doing another orbit but instead of being 100 percent autonomous, could you try pitching and yawing while performing the orbit? Thanks again for posting the videos.
Here ya go. I tried to maintain the POI in center frame while varying pitch, yaw, altitude and distance.. That first yaw to the left is the orbit program not me.. Not sure what you are looking for. Then another horizon test post gimbal calib.

Here ya go. I tried to maintain the POI in center frame while varying pitch, yaw, altitude and distance.. That first yaw to the left is the orbit program not me.. Not sure what you are looking for. Then another horizon test post gimbal calib.

How are you doing the gimbal calibration? Inside/outside? Level surface? I can't get a level horizon without manually adjusting the gimbal tilt to -1 or more. But then the horizon level changes depending on the direction the evo is pointed.

Never said it is not done, just said its not recommended. Over the last 4 years I have seen posts of UAV's taking a swim for one reason or the other. With the small foldable UAV's it can be done a lot safer then before with hand catching and such.
Before starting to fly a drone, its stabilization system needs to initialize the embedded movement sensors (gyros, accelerometers, etc ...) in order to have the necessary reference points to manage the flight. To perform this initialization, it is mandatory that the aircraft remains completely motionless for a few moments.
Such an asset is practically impossible on a moving platform like the deck of a boat. The construction of the vessel itself may play a factor as the vessel may be aluminium, steel or fibreglass. This can also create magnetic fields on board (deviation) which can directly affect signal and compass calibration making your drone fly in an unintended manner.
Just remember these are flying machines and do not float very well so if it does take a dive chances are it is gone for ever.
Ok.

I also did the firmware update, so far everything works. Except for "RC Player". Is that normal?

I also did the firmware update, so far everything works. Except for "RC Player". Is that normal?
Did you update over the air (OTA) or download onto the micro SD card from a computer? I used to get the same error when updating OTA, so I downloaded directly from the SD card and no more errors. Might give that a try.

Did you update over the air (OTA) or download onto the micro SD card from a computer? I used to get the same error when updating OTA, so I downloaded directly from the SD card and no more errors. Might give that a try.

The beta update I have done via SD card. The 1.2.3 update, however, I had done over the air, but even then with the same result

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JP51