Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

UNBELIEVABLE! NFZ activated on my Autel Evo 2 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was the reply that Autel Robotics give to me, about the Flysafe Update:
"It is only a warning message to inform you that you are in the no-fly zone to make sure users know that.
But for users in China and Japan, it will prevent you from flying drones as the local regulation required.
"
Here in Italy, at now, there is no NFZ with Autel.
I am in the US and my drone won't start in a 0' grid or NFZ. It will fly without the need to unlock in others parts of the grid.

Reactions: lukappaseidue
I am in the US and my drone won't start in a 0' grid or NFZ. It will fly without the need to unlock in others parts of the grid.
Yes. This is true, even with Autel. My buddy has the EVO I and lives by Midway. It will not start up at all.

Reactions: gaetanofasulo
Exactly, so my question is can I reset the drone to factory or delete that flysafe database?
Did you try rolling back your firmware to an earlier version? IF, and I say IF that update came from Autel and NOT DJI....(which would be really unusual that a DJI program would update the FLYSAFE database on an Autel drone....never ever heard of that), if you are able to load an earlier firmware, it *may* also roll back the NFZ database on the RC and drone firmware. Not sure. DJI drones, even when you downgrade firmware - do NOT downgrade an updated NFZ database...unless you go to very early firmware and get into the firmware and "change" some things, but you can never fully get rid of a NFZ database on a drone, unless you keep the database files there, but remove all NFZ data from those files.....thats one way, the other is to flip a bit and not ENFORCE NFZ restrictions, and only give warnings...which is the way it should be. Pilot in control, not the manufacturer of the drone.

*according to Autel, the ONLY NFZ enforcement is in China and Japan. If there are other places, Autel needs to say so. The new CEO says only those two places, OR where the government requires NFZ lock down. I live just inside a NFZ, and get a warning, but never can't start up or fly any Autel drone. A locked DJI drone will restrict my maximum height, but can fly, until I am out of the NFZ.....taking full responsibility for your flight is what you need to do as a pilot.

Last edited:
This was the reply that Autel Robotics give to me, about the Flysafe Update:
"It is only a warning message to inform you that you are in the no-fly zone to make sure users know that.
But for users in China and Japan, it will prevent you from flying drones as the local regulation required.
"
Here in Italy, at now, there is no NFZ with Autel.
I am emailing with Autel and at this point it is a known issue. Here is the latest email. Of course who remembers if I power cycled or not before 5 minutes. Hopefully they can get to the point where we factory reset the whole thing.

"The crucial troubleshooting step I received from our engineering department was to not power cycle the aircraft after they see the no-fly-zone upgrade. The aircraft can take up to 5 min before this upgrade is fully applied. If power cycled before it is applied, it can result in the issue you are having. Please let me know if this resolves your problem."

Reactions: lukappaseidue
I am emailing with Autel and at this point it is a known issue. Here is the latest email. Of course who remembers if I power cycled or not before 5 minutes. Hopefully they can get to the point where we factory reset the whole thing.

"The crucial troubleshooting step I received from our engineering department was to not power cycle the aircraft after they see the no-fly-zone upgrade. The aircraft can take up to 5 min before this upgrade is fully applied. If power cycled before it is applied, it can result in the issue you are having. Please let me know if this resolves your problem."

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention. Have they said what generated the Flysafe update (e.g. CrystalSky theory)?

Thank you for keeping everyone in the loop on this one. Up to you, but you can download an older firmware, one version back from what you currently are on, place it on the root of your SD card...(its ok to leave the other folders there), stick it back into your Evo II and start the controller first, then the drone, and see if the firmware will flash. At this point, it can't hurt since you can't fly anyway and need this issue resolved. Doing this "should" roll back the NFZ, but its possible it won't.

*one crucial step I forgot....create a file called force_upgrade on your computer and also place that in the root along with the firmware file. Don't make it a txt file. I have attached it here. Unzip it to the root of your SD card. (this way you don't have to mess around and create one. The file is blank, no data...the drone just needs the file to be there to tell it to flash the firmware file, even though it's older firmware)

Keep us appraised on the outcome.

*and yah, you probably restarted the aircraft not knowing, but like you said, who remembers if you did or didn't?!!! Especially if there were no warnings saying not to.

Attachments

• force_upgrade.zip
    160 bytes · Views: 17
Last edited:
Thank you for keeping everyone in the loop on this one. Up to you, but you can download an older firmware, one version back from what you currently are on, place it on the root of your SD card...(its ok to leave the other folders there), stick it back into your Evo II and start the controller first, then the drone, and see if the firmware will flash. At this point, it can't hurt since you can't fly anyway and need this issue resolved. Doing this "should" roll back the NFZ, but its possible it won't.

*one crucial step I forgot....create a file called force_upgrade on your computer and also place that in the root along with the firmware file. Don't make it a txt file. I have attached it here. Unzip it to the root of your SD card. (this way you don't have to mess around and create one. The file is blank, no data...the drone just needs the file to be there to tell it to flash the firmware file, even though it's older firmware)

Keep us appraised on the outcome.

*and yah, you probably restarted the aircraft not knowing, but like you said, who remembers if you did or didn't?!!! Especially if there were no warnings saying not to.
I looked but can not find the older version of the firmware.
I will try your forced upgrade file as soon as I can get an older firmware to down grade to.
Any ideas where I can get one from?

Did you try a hard reset using the little reset button on the Drone? Perhaps if you manually reinstall the latest Autel firmware on the drone it will clear it.

Where is that little reset button? And where are the instructions on how to use it? because that is actually what I'm looking for and you're the first person that said there is one. I see a little button on the side but who goes pressing buttons that they don't know what they are? And I wouldn't even know do you hold the button do you double press the button, what? Anyway I am working on rolling back the firmware. But a reset button would be a lot quicker I'm sure.

This is what has me irritated 1. with DJI and 2 with the overreaching governments, especially in the US.

1. It is NOT a companies right to determine how I may or may not use MY property that I paid for. Its like buying a car then being told you can only drive it where or how the car salesman says. Its up to ME to determine that and NOBODY else.

2. The government, especially in the US on the federal level should have ZERO say in the matter PERIOD. Yet too many blindly follow along with and accept it more and more. Its absurd.
Not to get political or anything, but "overreach" is a difficult term to define, which you haven't. But to take your statement that governments should have zero say means we'll have aircraft crashing into each other all over the place. Also consider that this is a new area for the FAA and they will undoubtedly have some tests to get through before everyone is happy.

I attached a Crystal Sky to my Evo 2 Pro controller and downloaded the Autel Explorer app. It automatically started and completed a "FlySafe" download to my aircraft and now I can't start up in NFZs any longer. This was a great feature to not have to unlock every time especially since even when I had Auth. to fly in areas the unlock didn't work in my DJI drones. Has any one heard of this? How can I factory reset the drone an d controller? Or remove the FlySafe file?
Mine works fine.

I attached a Crystal Sky to my Evo 2 Pro controller and downloaded the Autel Explorer app. It automatically started and completed a "FlySafe" download to my aircraft and now I can't start up in NFZs any longer. This was a great feature to not have to unlock every time especially since even when I had Auth. to fly in areas the unlock didn't work in my DJI drones. Has any one heard of this? How can I factory reset the drone an d controller? Or remove the FlySafe file?
I updated for the 4th and mine works fine 3.5 miles from the airport

I updated for the 4th and mine works fine 3.5 miles from the airport
Yes, in a 200' or 100' grid it works. Aren't these supposed to work also in a 0 grid? With no restrictions what so ever? Have you tried in a 0' grid or NFZ?

This is what has me irritated 1. with DJI and 2 with the overreaching governments, especially in the US.

1. It is NOT a companies right to determine how I may or may not use MY property that I paid for. Its like buying a car then being told you can only drive it where or how the car salesman says. Its up to ME to determine that and NOBODY else.

2. The government, especially in the US on the federal level should have ZERO say in the matter PERIOD. Yet too many blindly follow along with and accept it more and more. Its absurd.
So you should be able to fly your drone over the White House and National Parks? Drive you car anywhere you please. Sound like a red hatter.

• Haha
D
Dont use DJI trash. Problem solved.

The CS is a bright Screen (1000/1500 nits) running on a older 32 bit Android OS. I wasn't aware the Autel App was 32 bit. Might be a nice tablet if Autel hasn't moved to 64 bit. The CS became limited when DJI apps started moving to 64bit.

From the Autel Eng communications, suggests it could be associated to other than CS.

So you should be able to fly your drone over the White House and National Parks? Drive you car anywhere you please. Sound like a red hatter.
If it is advertised that there are no restrictions then it should be that way.

Software App / Drone FW NFZ / Geo Zones are a non-FAA, not regulated, not requested by FAA. This is evident since all sUAV Manufactures don't implement any form of GeoZones... mainly DJI, whom holds the largest percentage of drones. Multiple DJI NFZ have old data that is normally up to 5-7 years out of date. These inaccuracies can cause project delays and unplanned requests filed to unblock prior to project.

Legally imposed FAA NFZ & TFR are by Federal Govt and ignoring can lead to fines & jail time. Sadly the threat of stronger action is in-process and practiced as time goes forward.

The difference is FAA NFZ are legally enforceable & accurate, included in required PT107 training, fully dependent on the POC to follow the Rules. This shouldn't be confused with Manufacture's software imposed NFZ that are mainly to provide Manufacture (DJI) another layer of legal protection when their products are abused in Airspace by an Owner and law suits are filed.

I'd agree, I'd like no manufacture imposed limitation... zero. Leave the regulation up to FAA, Federal & State Laws. Let the behavior & responsibility of the POC apply the required limitations. If that's not acceptable, then the FAA should require NFZ's to be implemented into all Drone's FW / Software... not Brand Specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Football Bat