Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Tips for traveling with XSP

Pumpkinpilot

Reaction score
I am new to traveling with my XSP. Can anyone tell me what the best way is to travel with it? I read that I need to carry the batteries on but then found another document on Frontier Airlines website that said Lithium batteries cannot weigh more than 8 grams. Anyone advice is appreciated.

I have flown with mine and you must carry on LiPo's. I also carry on my drone in a hard case.
Most airlines are based on power ratings. A laptop has a battery more than 8 grams. 8 grams is small.
In the US go by this TSA page - https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...fo/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf
You can generally carry on up to 100 watt hours per battery, the Autel battery is 72.52Wh. Also, if they limit them by number, the one in the quad normally doesn't count.

Headed out to Maui next Tuesday and have been googling the hell out of how to travel with the flying pumpkin. As most folks are probably aware, it's not the pumpkin they have the issue with, it's those damn batteries they don't like.

Straight off a page (CLICK HERE) on the United Airlines site I found a link to an FAA page that really laid it out clearly. They even had a great PDF that I downloaded. Of course I felt the need to go through the PDF and highlight the sections that are applicable to us Flying Pumpkin folks. It's attached.

Hope this is helpful!

Attachments

• Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf
    575.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Reactions: Dan AISCF
I flew three weeks ago from Texas to Australia. I did the required by taping my terminals on the battery but went a step further and bought two lipo fire resistant pouches. I didn't make a big deal out of having a drone and just placed the backpack into the scanner with the rest of my luggage. I went through several security checks on the way and no one mind you no one even looked at the batteries or the drone. My guess is they have seen it all and we are not a problem to them. They never opened the back pack.

By the way, at the moment I am on a research vessel South of Australia heading West to Perth/Fremantle. The winds have been up so I have not taken the bird up but I have gone through the motions in the ship's workshop. As expected, no gps and magnetic interference was abound. Astonishingly enough, I was able to get a compass calibration for a brief while. My bird is still flying on the original software but have the beta version downloaded if I have too much trouble.

If I can get her flying off of a 470 ft steel vessel a 225 foot derrick .. this will be something to see. I expect... actually I don't know what to
expect. These conditions will surly test her.

I will give reports when I can find a day to fly.

BCrawford

Headed out to Maui next Tuesday and have been googling the hell out of how to travel with the flying pumpkin. As most folks are probably aware, it's not the pumpkin they have the issue with, it's those damn batteries they don't like.

Straight off a page (CLICK HERE) on the United Airlines site I found a link to an FAA page that really laid it out clearly. They even had a great PDF that I downloaded. Of course I felt the need to go through the PDF and highlight the sections that are applicable to us Flying Pumpkin folks. It's attached.

Hope this is helpful!

I have just returned from Maui with my drone. I flew on Hawaiian Air and had zero issues with carry on. Right through security with it in the backpack, no separation of 3 batteries and wasn't asked one about what it was. And that was through the San Jose CA airport!

Reactions: Eddiebo
I have just returned from Maui with my drone. I flew on Hawaiian Air and had zero issues with carry on. Right through security with it in the backpack, no separation of 3 batteries and wasn't asked one about what it was. And that was through the San Jose CA airport!

Thank you!

Just a little followup on my comment.

Traveled from Denver to Maui via San Francisco yesterday. Not one issues.
  • Batteries:
    • Drained down four batteries to less than 30%
    • Threw a little (orange) electrical tape on all of the contacts
    • Put each of them in their own plastic bags
    • Put all four of them in a Lipo battery bag and right into the backpack
  • Carried on the XSP in the Autel backpack
  • Security didn't ask any questions nor give it a second look
  • No issues at either our gates
  • No issues at all with popping it in the overhead (737-800 for both flights)
Hope this information helps. . . .

Reactions: WildDoktor

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials