Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

New Owner: What are your best tips, tricks and must-have accessories?

robroy9701

Reaction score
Greetings All!

My new Evo II Pro v2 will be delivered in a couple of days. I got a kit with a hard case and extra batteries. I am coming from several DJI models, so not a total newb, but definitely not anywhere close to an expert.

What are some of the best accessories I should be looking at? I have the Tripltek Tablet, and I am trying hard to resist getting the Smart Controller. The mount situation has me a bit concerned in the interim. Any advice there? I am sure I will eventually, especially if I like the Auto as much as I hope I will.

In general, I will gladly take any and all tips, tricks, and best practices you care to share. I hope to add some value here eventually with my own experiences as well!

Regards,

-Rob

the evo accessories are pretty addictive and often expensive so i would suggest you keep watching the classified on this forum for some great deals on gently used equipment which should help keep down the cost of owning a superior drone. hope you enjoy your new drone....and get that smart controller! :)

Reactions: G_G
All accessories I mention, I currently own and use... so it is an endorsement based on experience. Some settling of contents may have occured. Your mileage may vary. Enlarged to show detail. Yada yada yada.

I found the legs to be short for my taste, so I use the carbon fiber leg extenders made by Fly High USA.

The third party charger made by Hanatora Evo II Battery Charger will charge up to 3 Evo II batteries. There have been some reports of the charger getting hot when charging 3 batteries, but I have personally seen no issues in charging 2 batteries and the controller simultaneously. It should be noted that this charger does not charge at a higher rate than the OEM charger. The time saving is in being able to charge 2 or 3 batteries at the same time.

There are a variety of opinions in different posts on the Sky Fire Aerial mount. However I have the Deluxe mount (as recommended by the manufacturer) with the Tripltek mount adapter... I have found the rig to be reasonably well balanced. This setup works well and the Triptek is definitely bright enough, even in full sunlight. The differences in functionality IMHO, are not enough to justify the investment in a smart controller if you already own a Triptek. Add in that the Tripltek will perform better as an Android tablet, than a dedicated manufacturers controller.

Greetings All!

My new Evo II Pro v2 will be delivered in a couple of days. I got a kit with a hard case and extra batteries. I am coming from several DJI models, so not a total newb, but definitely not anywhere close to an expert.

What are some of the best accessories I should be looking at? I have the Tripltek Tablet, and I am trying hard to resist getting the Smart Controller. The mount situation has me a bit concerned in the interim. Any advice there? I am sure I will eventually, especially if I like the Auto as much as I hope I will.

In general, I will gladly take any and all tips, tricks, and best practices you care to share. I hope to add some value here eventually with my own experiences as well!

Regards,

-Rob

Welcome to the Autel ecosystem, this thread may help you get up to speed quickly on some of the differences between Autel and DJI. As far as accessories, I have not purchased any except the Autel multi-charger, GPC hard case, and I cobbled together my own mount because when I got the EVO II there were no good options to hold an iPad mini and still fit into the GPC case. You can read this thread to get more information on the solution that worked for me.

Welcome to world of Autel and EVO II, I also have several DJIs in addition to a couple of EVO IIs (6K & 8K). I have similar accessories on Autel to what have on or in my DJI kits (bags or cases).

These include for Autel EVO IIs:

Low noise props and spare props
Multiple batteries
Multi Battery Charger
Car Charger
Prop Guards (mainly for indoor)
Firehouse strobe lights
GPC Hard case
Softside small carry bag (for when need portability vs entire kit)
ND Filter Set
Live Deck (for live feed to mix board/truck or external display/tablet)
Tablet for Live Deck (velcro to live deck) for producer/director to use
Sun visor/shroud for phone and tablet devices
Various cables, adapters

While not a hardware accessory, also have Air Data for upload of flight logs and reporting.

Welcome to the forum. As far as tips go, you can take advantage of the EVO II Pro's excellent 10-bit color profile with specific camera settings: H.265, LOG, 4K/30 and/or HDR (which requires Auto Exposure). You will also need an editor that can handle 10-bit color such as DaVinci Resolve Studio.
Also, this camera tends to oversharpen images. In the Style menu, set Sharpen to -2 or -3. Be sure to lock color to 5600K (+/- to taste) for sunny days. You don't want the colors to automatically change as the scene changes.
Finally, I am told that this camera takes excellent low light videos. You will have to search the forum for the proper settings as I haven't done much low light flying yet.
Happy flying, editing and posting!
P.S. I have the Smart Controller and really like the simplicity of a one piece controller setup. You don't have to charge, mount, hook-up or log into a separate screen device. And it is very bright, easily viewable on sunny days.

Reactions: gschulzuio
Finally, I am told that this camera takes excellent low light videos. You will have to search the forum for the proper settings as I haven't done much low light flying yet.
Yes, the E2P does very well with video in low light, at night, with fireworks etc. For video Im using fixed wb, manual focus, 4K 30fps log which also gets hdr10, adjust exp, ie 2.8 or 5.6 or whatever works for you, iso as low as can go, 100-400, it works great. Then per Rubix3x, process with Resolve or other sw that can handle the footage. GeoDrone SRL has some great tips on shooting E2P night videos using log here. Simply put, the E2P is a low light night beast... Oh, btw, if using ND filters remember to take them off for night flights ;).

Reactions: Rubik3x
All accessories I mention, I currently own and use... so it is an endorsement based on experience. Some settling of contents may have occured. Your mileage may vary. Enlarged to show detail. Yada yada yada.

I found the legs to be short for my taste, so I use the carbon fiber leg extenders made by Fly High USA.

The third party charger made by Hanatora Evo II Battery Charger will charge up to 3 Evo II batteries. There have been some reports of the charger getting hot when charging 3 batteries, but I have personally seen no issues in charging 2 batteries and the controller simultaneously. It should be noted that this charger does not charge at a higher rate than the OEM charger. The time saving is in being able to charge 2 or 3 batteries at the same time.

There are a variety of opinions in different posts on the Sky Fire Aerial mount. However I have the Deluxe mount (as recommended by the manufacturer) with the Tripltek mount adapter... I have found the rig to be reasonably well balanced. This setup works well and the Triptek is definitely bright enough, even in full sunlight. The differences in functionality IMHO, are not enough to justify the investment in a smart controller if you already own a Triptek. Add in that the Tripltek will perform better as an Android tablet, than a dedicated manufacturers controller.
I'd buy the legs but they have some serious unethical shipping rates which are a joke.

screenshot-flyhighusa.com-2022.04.11-15_55_56.png

I'd buy the legs but they have some serious unethical shipping rates which are a joke.

View attachment 13773

Since I used to work for FedEx, I can definitely say that the quote above for international shipping is quite in line with the major commercial shipping companies. If you know someone in the US to have Fly High USA to ship to, then your friend can send it forward to you via US Postal Service.

I found a quote on the USPS website for shipping to Australia, for as low as $31.00 USD for International First Class service... so even with shipping to your US based friend plus his sending the item on to you, should total less than $100 USD. Two step process that will take longer... yes, but doable.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials