Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

The new beta firmware program V1.4.5

The new beta firmware program V1.4.5 is now available on our website! Comparing to the current firmware V1.3.46, this V1.4.5 beta contains the following main changes:
- Added ‘Boat Mode’ which allows users to take off the EVO from a non-static surface such as a boat. (Requires beta app)
- Optimized gimbal control algorithm
- Bug fixes
If you would like to participate in this firmware beta program, please visit our website at:
?https://auteldrones.com/pages/beta-signup
You will find the download page and the instruction to install the new firmware.
You will need to download the beta Explorer app to use the 'Boat Mode' feature:
Android beta V1.0.1.23 Opt-in link:
?https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.autel.explorer
iOS beta: coming later this week

If you encounter any bugs, glitches, lack of functionality or other problems with the firmware, please let us know immediately by contacting our customer service at 1-844-MY-AUTEL, email us at [email protected], chat with us online at AutelDrones.com, or leave comments below this post.
Thanks for your support.
Born to explore!

I rather wait until the final version. The current one so far is stable for my needs. Thank you for the update on the new beta.

Here is a demo of the new Boat Mode.
OK. Here's the issues I see:
First, the boat mode makes the drone return to where it was launched. But if you are in a boat, returning to home is usually going to put the drone into the water, because a boat can rarely go exactly back to where it was.
Secondly, this beta seems to have stability hover issues. The Mavic doe SO MUCH BETTER at holding it's hover point in one place. Yes, it was windy, but not THAT windy. The Evo should have been more stable in the wind. I think previous firmwares were more stable.
Third, if you did launch from a boat and wanted to retrieve your Evo by hand (since you can't have it land on the boat because of #1 above), it looks like this beta doesn't want to let you hand catch it. And that would be the only way to get it back if you are over water.
Finally, what is the usefulness of a boat mode really? I think its much ado about nothing.
Were there any other bugs that needed fixing that you noticed were fixed?

Reactions: kdub2051
You are SO right. What good is hand launching unless you have three hands!

For hand launching, they need to enable it via the power button, like the Spark or the take off/ land button on the controller. For return to home, I faintly remember a setting currently for aircraft or pilot. I'm not sure at the moment if it's Autel or DJI.

This "feature" should probably not be called "Boat Mode" but instead "Hand Launch" mode. Also, when trying to catch the Evo at the end of a flight by hand... regardless if you are on a boat or not, you should turn OFF the Visual Obstacle Avoidance and maybe even the Downward Vision Positioning. Those settings would make it easier to catch and the Evo would not try to fly up when your hand comes in from the bottom.
And finally, it would be nice if there was some other way to start the motors/arm the Evo that didn't require 3 hands!
But overall, Kudos to Autel for listening to their customers and adding this feature. I hope it does not compromise the drone's stability or performance. I'm eager to do some testing.

Reactions: Nightbat2
I messaged Autel about the start motors and hand launch. I don't think they are interested in hand launch or change in the way to start motors .

Calling it boat mode and the way you must start the motors is all because of liability issues. It is also why this update comes with no instructions or a demo. The day I made this video it was really windy. I had a mic designed for wind and I still had to edit the audio so you could even hear me. The drone is no less stable at a hover. It is not as stable as a DJI Mavic for sure and never will be. It is stable enough for government work. LOL Also the hand launching is a huge deal. It means I can now use this drone for the reason I purchased it. I had to buy a second portable drone after buying this one for the specific reason that you couldn't hand launch it. I just assumed it would be able to do that.

I have found a simple but effective way to do a one hand motor start. I used a length of string and made it long enought to step on. Just loop it over the sticks and lift up with the controller. Worked very time.

Attachments

• IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 34
I have found a simple but effective way to do a one hand motor start. I used a length of string and made it long enought to step on. Just loop it over the sticks and lift up with the controller. Worked very time.
I knew someone would come up with something. I think it is hilarious that we have to do this though. Just let us start the motors Autel.

i may be a crotchety old mother jumper but i would never ever do that...those blades can f you up...and this cat in the wind ...no offense.. Screws loose

Well.... I guess this update adds a new feature, but it seems half baked to me based on the video from NewZona Rides. Okay, so you can hand launch, but with a lot of difficulty and dexterity that a person may not have. Hand catching is also a bit sketchy based on the video . And no dynamic home point option if you are taking off from a boat or moving object? What good is that? I used the hand launch/catch feature on the DJI Spark when I had that bird, and it worked well. This update seems to be a work in progress. Autel, why not improve/enhance some of the existing flight modes like Waypoints? Add some of the features that are basic staples in the Litchi or Parrot's Flight Plan apps. Point of Interest (POI's would be a nice addition) as well as having the ability to complete a waypoint mission even after a disconnect. You have a great camera and a very sound drone, now get your base excited with improvements to the Explorer app.

Now that’s thinking outside the box! On one hand a bit unorthodox but on the other... functional and gets the job done!
Good alternative method... soft button on screen preferred, but both related to “string programming” !

I’m very glad this version is coming/out. I specifically bought a quad to film from our boat, especially while doing towsports. With my XSP I could easily launch and recover from the sun pad of my boat. I never hand launched or recovered (unless in an emergency). Yes, the home point wouldn’t move but periodically I would change the home point to my position, that way if something did happen or I let time get away from me I didn’t have to chase it too far if I couldn’t cancel the go to home soon enough. I just kept an eye on time remaining and didn’t push it. The only problem I had with the XSP is it’s bulkiness- it took up too much room in the boat, which is the ONLY reason I sold it to purchase an EVO. Was very disappointed to find I couldn’t launch it from my boat. With this feature I’ll finally be able to. Just remember this is a beta so of course it’s half baked currently- that’s the definition of a beta. Will be looking forward to this feature becoming permanent.

I finally got the boat mode going yesterday, and for a chance to test it out today. I was able to make several hand launches and catches very easily. The launches were done using a pinky from the hand holding the drone pushing down one of the sticks, and my other hand holding the rc could also push down a stick and off it went. It didn't seem dangerous or hard to do, but I'm sure each will have their own assessment of the situation. If I was actually on the boat I intend to use the Evo from, I'd have a place large enough to launch and land from, especially since the increased wind and waves could throw some extra craziness into the whole hand launching/catching deal...

Just wanted to share my experience with he new "boat mode"....thanks Autel for making it happen!

• Wow
Reactions: Nightbat2
I finally got the boat mode going yesterday, and for a chance to test it out today. I was able to make several hand launches and catches very easily. The launches were done using a pinky from the hand holding the drone pushing down one of the sticks, and my other hand holding the rc could also push down a stick and off it went. It didn't seem dangerous or hard to do, but I'm sure each will have their own assessment of the situation. If I was actually on the boat I intend to use the Evo from, I'd have a place large enough to launch and land from, especially since the increased wind and waves could throw some extra craziness into the whole hand launching/catching deal...

Just wanted to share my experience with he new "boat mode"....thanks Autel for making it happen!
Just as long as you don’t lose a pinky!
The

Try the string around the controls deal to start the motors. It works nice and its safe.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials