Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Tablet question

Anton Chigurh

Reaction score
i posted this in the X-Star forum and realized I should have put it here. This is probably a silly question, but does the tablet linked to an X-Star premium need to have gps for full functionality? If so, what tablet do you recommend for minimum lag?

I can tell you what partialy works, and that is a Samsung Tab A8. Lot's of video lag. I just received a Nvidia Shield K1, but I've not had a change to try it.

but does the tablet linked to an X-Star premium need to have gps for full functionality?
You'll only need GPS on your mobile device if you want to use the Follow flight mode or if you're going to need to reset the home point to your current location after taking off. All other GPS related features use the GPS receiver located inside of the X-Star.

As for devices, the Nvidia Shield K1 is a great Android device. For Apple devices, an iPad Pro, iPad Mini 2+, or iPad Air 2 are good options. A lot of Android devices contain GPS receivers. Only the cellular version of Apple devices contain GPS receivers.

I ported over an useful thread in the "X-Star Premium Help" forum that will recommend some devices that could help you out.

2016 model has an octa-core processor & is much more capable, something I wished I realized existed before I bought the one you listed.

No, I don't believe it is. I only paid something like 139 bucks for it at Sams Club.
You must have gotten lucky with an incompetent employee mislabeling because the quad core 7" is $139 at sams. The Octacore 10.1" is $248 at Sams.

Reactions: Jim Snow
You must have gotten lucky with an incompetent employee mislabeling because the quad core 7" is $139 at sams. The Octacore 10.1" is $248 at Sams.

I don't think so, I believe it is the older model and they were running a special. It was the same price for several weeks. I tweeted a picture of it at the time..

P_20160705_122933.jpg

I don't think so, I believe it is the older model and they were running a special. It was the same price for several weeks. I tweeted a picture of it at the time..

View attachment 23
Yeah that is Item 703204 a quad core 8" tablet running at 1.2ghz. Now Sam's has it for $168.24 online only.

Same Processor specs as the 9.7" one I bought at Walmart. Wish I bought the 10.1" 2016 Octa-core 1.6ghz model.

Last edited:
have to say I have the latest a8 and its working perfectly. 100% happy with its functionality on my XSP

Thanks for all your input. With the 2016 Galaxy Tab A Octa 10.1" available for $239 at Costco is it worth the additional $40 compared to the Nvidia Shield K1 (which isn't in stock anywhere) or would it be unwieldy?

Thanks for all your input. With the 2016 Galaxy Tab A Octa 10.1" available for $239 at Costco is it worth the additional $40 compared to the Nvidia Shield K1 (which isn't in stock anywhere) or would it be unwieldy?

I'm extremely happy with my 2016 Galaxy Tab A coupled to the XSP. Easily solved the video lag and other issues that I was having sporadically with my old iPad Air. The screen is much easier to see outdoors than the other devices I've tried (iPad Air, iPad 2, iPhone 5c, LG G2), without a sunshield.

Reactions: JerPrin and Tpat591

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials