Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Tablet or cell

Randy the Locator

Reaction score
New pilot here will be flying the Evo ll and soo on the fence weather to get a dedicated cell phone ( Samsaung Note 8) or a tablet . So if I get a tablet looks to me like it covers up or hinders the view of the RC , and you need to purchase another device to attach your tablet to your RC.
Cell phone looks like it will fit right in the controller , but I like the idea of a larger screen (getting older eyes) or will the 1000 nits of the note 8 make it easier to see that the larger tablet wont benefit you that much

Ugh I dont know what to do , has anybody used both ?

Thanks
Randy

This is just my opinion but I would use the one that had the highest nits. It really does not matter how large the screen is if you can't see the darn thing in sunlight. You will still be flying blind in the end.

I use a Samsung S2 tablet without problem, just make an adapter to hold it if it is too wide.
I made a cross which fits in the jaw fixed behind the tablet.
EVO_Tablet attachment.jpg
20200327_091143.jpg
20200327_091012.jpg

This is just my opinion but I would use the one that had the highest nits. It really does not matter how large the screen is if you can't see the darn thing in sunlight. You will still be flying blind in the end.
Yup. Even with the best sunshade ever made, if the screen doesn’t get bright enough, it doesn’t matter too much. I thought color accuracy was important too, but if you can’t see it too well, it doesn’t matter either. Getting the exposure right is key, and that takes a bright screen on 100% — you can correct color later.

Last edited:
In my opinion, just get the Note 8. When you start flying with all that weight around, you will dread flying. I used to fly with a Galaxy Tab S4 and stopped. It's just to heavy and cumbersome. You will prefer the mobility of a smaller device.

In my opinion, just get the Note 8. When you start flying with all that weight around, you will dread flying. I used to fly with a Galaxy Tab S4 and stopped. It's just to heavy and cumbersome. You will prefer the mobility of a smaller device.
Yea, I’m kinda stuck on an iPad mini 5, it’s just bright enough, and light...

I use both, but If I use tablet I use my tripod and a tablet holder to the tripod (tablet holder was like $15 on Amazon) of course you also need tripod if don't have one already. Also have tablet cover when too bright out, but as we all know it's only somewhat effective. Alternative is LifThor tablet mount, but is a bit pricey ($85 @ Droneworks). Not a fan of some of the 3d printed extensions I've seen as that's a lot of weight for the single screw attached to your remote, but that could also work and is cheapest alternative. What I've been using most recently on bright sunny days is a cheap $15 VR goggles with my phone inside and flying in the VR flight mode (be sure to have a spotter with you).

Attachments

• received_621292611974438.jpeg
    received_621292611974438.jpeg
    396 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200328_104931.jpg
    20200328_104931.jpg
    798.1 KB · Views: 11

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members