Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Statements Made By Kenneth AR on social media so far on the new EVO & XSP

Fool me once, shame on...... Leaving XSP owners hanging to find parts where they will, calling the FW good enough and giving up on that, etc. How and the hell is that equated with taking care of the customer? How could anyone in their right mind even consider another product from this place? What would make anyone think it's not going to happen again, but with a different looking bird?

Its truly a shame that my first experience with a Drone had to come from a back asswards outfit, and in my opinion nothing but a money grubbing, fast buck organization. The price is too high for another roll of the dice for this kid!!

No way I'm putting any more quarters in the Autel Coke machine that doesn't give me a Coke.

So they said they will not release the SDK for the XSP after they said they would. And now they say they will release an SDK for the EVO.

Riiiiiight.....:rolleyes:

My feelings exactly. I’m sorry to say that Autel has officially lost me. I’ll continue to run my XSP (for stills only - the variable horizon tilt caused by the new firmware makes it worthless for video) until it no longer safely flies, then move on to a more stable and viable manufacturer. I’d sell it now while it still has residual value, but I can’t in good conscience pawn it off on someone with the gimbal tilt issue. Or maybe I should part it out...I guess I have some thinking to do.

Anyway, there is absolutely no way I’ll buy into another Autel drone (assuming one actually gets released) - I see nothing to lead me to believe that this EVO would be anything more than another flawed craft backed by empty promises and limited firmware updates. Sorry, just my honest opinion.

Reactions: ATVIS and Riktar
Hangin' in the hanger with my fellow flying addicts. In addition to the heavy iron we play with, we are all are drone enthusiasts in one way or the another. After updating everyone on the "news", the conversation drifted to how we would put our XSP's out of their misery when the time came to do the humane thing. Envision a wounded bird with broken landing gear, blind, difficulty hovering, and can't find it's way home. Among the 7 of us, there are 5 XSP's and 6 birds of a different color..

We finalized on the following. One of our members owns a industrial shredding/chipping company. Figuring we'd get a camera crew set up and fly our XSP's in formation into the mouth of the chipper at full speed. Another camera would capture the end result - think Fargo.

Reactions: ATVIS
Fool me once, shame on...... Leaving XSP owners hanging to find parts where they will, calling the FW good enough and giving up on that, etc. How and the hell is that equated with taking care of the customer? How could anyone in their right mind even consider another product from this place? What would make anyone think it's not going to happen again, but with a different looking bird?

Its truly a shame that my first experience with a Drone had to come from a back asswards outfit, and in my opinion nothing but a money grubbing, fast buck organization. The price is too high for another roll of the dice for this kid!!

No way I'm putting any more quarters in the Autel Coke machine that doesn't give me a Coke.

I totally agree with you Donda. They know that this EVO has complete mass market appeal to the lowest common denominator due to all of those sensors and autonomous follow me tracking modes making this thing by the looks of it possibly piss easy to fly. It will never be a proper stable platform for serious photo or video simply due to physics. I bet they don't care if we as X-star owners, supporters and early adopters don't buy their Mavic facsimile. The development of the EVO was dictated by the popularity the Mavic has had in the market and is a total cash grab with little consideration for their past conveyed intentions.

Anyway, there is absolutely no way I’ll buy into another Autel drone (assuming one actually gets released) - I see nothing to lead me to believe that this EVO would be anything more than another flawed craft backed by empty promises and limited firmware updates. Sorry, just my honest opinion.

I have a feeling your opinion Airmet Tango, will more than likely be echoed by hundreds if not thousands of X-star owners. You are in good company.

Hangin' in the hanger with my fellow flying addicts. In addition to the heavy iron we play with, we are all are drone enthusiasts in one way or the another. After updating everyone on the "news", the conversation drifted to how we would put our XSP's out of their misery when the time came to do the humane thing. Envision a wounded bird with broken landing gear, blind, difficulty hovering, and can't find it's way home. Among the 7 of us, there are 5 XSP's and 6 birds of a different color..

We finalized on the following. One of our members owns a industrial shredding/chipping company. Figuring we'd get a camera crew set up and fly our XSP's in formation into the mouth of the chipper at full speed. Another camera would capture the end result - think Fargo.

Haha that would be funny as hell. Please make a youtube video and rake in the cash when it goes viral!

I understand that it's a business and new models are good and should be released. Heck, I love the way my XSP performs. If they could just refine the firmware a little more and fix the tilted horizon problem, I'd be fine with that.

You betcha, that's a novel idea, but you might have to wait awhile. New XSP's are still available (Best Buy has them is stock for $899.99, along with batteries for $79.99 w/free shipping). Every X-Star sold comes with a 1 year warranty, so I think it's reasonable to assume that full support will continue at least until the last XSP sold goes out of warranty, and probably for some period beyond. It will be interesting to see which of your group's 6 non-XSP birds are still in the air a year or more from now; I would guess at least a couple of them will become fodder for the chipper by then. For myself, I know I'll still be flying my XSP, hopefully along with a cool new "traveling pumpkin" to keep it company.:)

You betcha, that's a novel idea, but you might have to wait awhile. New XSP's are still available (Best Buy has them is stock for $899.99, along with batteries for $79.99 w/free shipping). Every X-Star sold comes with a 1 year warranty, so I think it's reasonable to assume that full support will continue at least until the last XSP sold goes out of warranty, and probably for some period beyond. It will be interesting to see which of your group's 6 non-XSP birds are still in the air a year or more from now; I would guess at least a couple of them will become fodder for the chipper by then. For myself, I know I'll still be flying my XSP, hopefully along with a cool new "traveling pumpkin" to keep it company.:)
Oh, make no mistake, we plan to fly them until we are out of altitude, airspeed and ideas all at the same time. In other words, until the wheels fall off.

This just in - one of the FAA members has joined ranks. He is a DJI man and is fed up with them, their attitude and their products. I'm told he pulled up to the hanger with a big box in his truck. The logo on the outside says, "Intel Inside". He quickly disappeared into the hanger with the box and went stealth into the darkness before my "mole" could get a closer look.

Another thought being floated (pun intended) is to clear the hanger of all the other flying 'chines, close the doors, football helmets affixed and conduct air-to-air combat drills. First out buys when the noise stops. Last one flying goes on the "wall of honor."

I just talked to Kenneth AR today about Exif info for RAW photos and he said it will be there. Many wanted this for Adobe Lightroom with the XSP but it never came about.

I am a new owner and was pretty sold on the reliability of their product and customer service with modularity being nice (but apparently obsolete); however, I have a hard time wrapping my head around their strategic direction. They are discontinuing their XSP line to focus on EVO, but are keeping the EVO priced competitively with the Mavic Pro. So a low volume, low cost strategy without trying to compete with more product lines? Focusing on customer service and reliability as their competitive advantage? Maybe the margins weren't there for the XSP line and are for the EVO? I have many questions and worry about the future success of a company that doesn't or can't expand beyond one product line. I love an underdog and hope to see a bright future for them because competition is good for us.

That being said, I am extremely happy with my XSP (as a hobby). I have only a few flights under my belt and they have all been trouble free. I love that they continue to use Sony sensors as I have been really impressed with them in my A7II too.
I agree with your assessment. They are essentially putting all there eggs in one basket with the EVO and if DJI hits them with another law suit over the EVO they are pretty much toast.

Reactions: yrless
I share many of these feelings. I've been screwed. I love the X-Star and invested in its equipment. Autel was a respected manufacturer of automotive diagnostic products that were around forever. They pledged good support and backed up their pledges. Now I'm left with an expensive toy, not the tool I thought I was buying. Good quality tools usually last a lifetime. Autel let me down. I'm finished with them.

On another note, knowing what we know now, should I upload the new firmware with its known and suspected-to-be-permanent problems, or just run out its remaining years flying with the old firmware?

Hey all...I've been busy but still flying...just no chance to get on here lately and do any posts. I have been reading everything aboout EVO and what is with my XSP and the future. I too feel a little bruised by Autel and that they basically are calling the XSP a dead platform and we all need to make the most of our money spent in the next year or so. Such a shame, they had such potential based on their pricing competitiveness to make a real run for the mid drone market share. I think they made the right product, based on all the inputs we have all seen in here or other boards...but just lost my $900 since I now own a one crash/problem drone unless I start buying up as many as I can from everyone for parts...maybe we will now get a parts list so we can buy 3rd party replacements...just a thought.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Good stuff — all of of it. Like I said earlier, if the Evo’s camera isn’t appreciably better, I’ll fly my 2 XSP’s until I get too close to the sun and they melt. I have a 3rd I smashed into a sea cliff and fell into the ocean, recovered for parts. It could be repaired. XSP’s are a known quantity at this point & very durable . With 6 batteries, I’ll keep going until.....

From my cursory glance of the patents, it seems that DJI is claiming the invention of putting electronic components into cases, so they can claim infringement on any drone manufacturer that has a case around their devices. If I read it correctly, they also claim the invention covers electronics outside of the case? This rings to me of the same kind of patents that suppressed the innovative advancement of 3D printing technology for 25 years.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
From my cursory glance of the patents, it seems that DJI is claiming the invention of putting electronic components into cases, so they can claim infringement on any drone manufacturer that has a case around their devices. If I read it correctly, they also claim the invention covers electronics outside of the case? This rings to me of the same kind of patents that suppressed the innovative advancement of 3D printing technology for 25 years.
I showed my attorney your summary (thank you very much). In between eating some toast and scrambled eggs, I heard her say "Define case". I looked at her like "really?". She said a case could mean any number of things in this context. Just like a "wall". My reply, "touche, pass the syrup please."

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials