Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Sherrif has drone sensing equiptment???

flyingfool

Reaction score
SO i've been noticing past month that everytime i fly near certain areas, that I always see the local Sherrif Chopper about 2 miles away from me, parked in the sky. It always feels like they are able to recieve my drone's location while i'm out flying around. this usually happens near Class B or critical infrastructures.. they never buzz me but stay far away and what seems to me just keep an eye on me..

Any truth to my theories about this being a possibility with the Autel EVO? i do fly fairly responsibly and keep a low altitude (60ft) in Class B

Reactions: Dougiefresh27
You need to wear you tin foil lined ball cap, they can read your mind!

There are are drone "rifles" that can block signal and land a drone from quite a distance...but no way will LE launch a helicopter to monitor a drone unless there is an active crime scene or VIP in the vicinity.

tin foil hat???? you act as if i'm talking 'bout UFO's here bud.....
LE chopper can have an onboard reciever designed to pick up drone signals that include the GPS coordinates..

I am sure a lot of LE helicopters can monitor drone locations, but you will never know if it is coincidence not.

Although the tech to identify drones does exist, I have never heard of it being installed in a chopper. LE aren't interested in your drone. They are interested in you. If you are in violation of any regulation, they will pay you a visit, not follow your drone around with a chopper. If you feel insecure about it, then my suggestion is, don't fly there.

Reactions: dronographer
it might be coincidence, but it's been happening 3 times within a month so I doubt this theory.

i used a dedicated smartphone for my drone, its just a monitor, with no sim and always in airplane mode...it would be smart for other users to remover your cellphones SIM card while using in conjunction with your EVO. as this is the only way the transmitter can possibly broadcast your PIC location. just use the EVO's gps for setting homepoint and download maps ahead of time.

it might be coincidence, but it's been happening 3 times within a month so I doubt this theory.

i used a dedicated smartphone for my drone, its just a monitor, with no sim and always in airplane mode...it would be smart for other users to remover your cellphones SIM card while using in conjunction with your EVO. as this is the only way the transmitter can possibly broadcast your PIC location. just use the EVO's gps for setting homepoint and download maps ahead of time.
Your cellphone will always try to get GPS location even with Airplane mode active. They can also determine location with your drone. They can determine drone's path and take off point.

Reactions: flyingfool
well i found out the local Fire Department now has drone jammers on thier trucks. I was watching a building fire in the city, as soon as the fire truck pulled up i lost video and control signal and the bird flew home.

well i found out the local Fire Department now has drone jammers on thier trucks. I was watching a building fire in the city, as soon as the fire truck pulled up i lost video and control signal and the bird flew home.

Wow they must have a pretty big budget as those things cost thousands of dollars or maybe you as tax payers are footing the bill and don't know it. LOL

It could be they were going to launch their own drone, with FLIR, and wanted to clear the airspace. Could it have been coincidence? There would have been a huge increase of radio signals from fire radios, cell phones, wifi.

If they used that, they would also be affected.

It depends on what tech they use, LE sometimes use directional drone “rifles” that focus a narrow beam antenna and disrupt the signal to a specific drone.

Maybe you were just out of range? Or the big metal trucks. Interfered with the signal

SO i've been noticing past month that everytime i fly near certain areas, that I always see the local Sherrif Chopper about 2 miles away from me, parked in the sky. It always feels like they are able to recieve my drone's location while i'm out flying around. this usually happens near Class B or critical infrastructures.. they never buzz me but stay far away and what seems to me just keep an eye on me..

Any truth to my theories about this being a possibility with the Autel EVO? i do fly fairly responsibly and keep a low altitude (60ft) in Class B
Sounds like a great opportunity to strike up a conversation with them. Once the ID stuff comes out it won't matter anyway. But I figure if you are flying safe, you have no worries. I too would not like anyone sniffing around when I'm flying but maybe they just want to fly a drone themselves.

atleast who ever jammed me didn't take out my GPS signal.. made it home with footage.. it may have been LE who arrived first, but there is also an electronic company nearby who might have a test jammer running, cant be sure the firetruck jammed it.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Kelly