Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

RTK mapping flight speed

jmason702

Reaction score
I have a couple of projects I am bidding on, some are 300 acres, high GSD is required and high Accuracy is required.

Most missions I have done with Evo are under 100 acres, and I fly around 10mph

What is the fastest you can fly with the EVO in RTK and still achieve good results in your opinion?

Mapping with the P4P I have done up to 1000 acres at 30 mph, with good results due to the mechanical shutter, and accuracy was not important.

NOTE* Also here in Vegas it's always sunny, so normally I fly with the aperture wide open and the shutter speed is always very high.

Thank you

I am a new EVO II Enterprise user, BUT work at a full service manned aircraft mapping service where I am a Professional Land Surveyor and one of the remote pilots. With the rolling shutter and high GSD's you are definitely limited to slower speeds, all I have read says maybe 10-11 MPH, so your previous missions were probably about maxed out. If you want to go for bigger GSD (less accuracy) you could increase both flying height and speed over ground, but that doesn't sound like what you want. Probably am not telling you anything you don't know as you seem to have a decent amount of experience.

Because we have options, ie manned aircraft, no way would we attempt 1000 ac with a EVOII or really any multicopter (even the 200 ac or 300 ac would probably get the nod to manned flight), if you had to do it with a UAV, then something like the Wingtra might be a viable tool. A UAV is just another tool, and not necessarily the correct tool for every project.

Reactions: jmason702
Yeah, that 1000-acre map sucked, like 12 batteries and 6 hrs in the air, but the final output was good and the client was very happy with it.
If work picks up about 50% more coming in I would consider getting a fixed-wing.

Reactions: Shelby Griggs
Agree - flying speed is important issue.
I've noticed some other problem. When I planned a mission with 1 cm/px, 80/70 overlap, single grid, then flying speed in autel explorer was restricted to 1km/h (?!). Know that are factors are related to each other but really so much? I'm pretty sure flying speed was much more flexible to set when I was planning the mission with standard EVO II Pro.
Have you got any similar thoughts about EVO II Pro RTK ?

Agree - flying speed is important issue.
I've noticed some other problem. When I planned a mission with 1 cm/px, 80/70 overlap, single grid, then flying speed in autel explorer was restricted to 1km/h (?!). Know that are factors are related to each other but really so much? I'm pretty sure flying speed was much more flexible to set when I was planning the mission with standard EVO II Pro.
Have you got any similar thoughts about EVO II Pro RTK ?
What was the AGL for 1 cm/pix? also, I just flew a 100-acre site with .75 in/pix @ 15 MPH and still got very good results! crosshatch, one way was nadir 90 down, the opposing flight was 75-degree pitch, and 80/70 overlap

Hi All,

EVO II Pro 6K Enterprise V2 with RTK

I think this is a very interesting discussion. I recently started mapping with a 75/65 overlap at around 18-20 mph. I notice some jello or distortion in the ortho, but no more than I have seen with the M3E output, data provided by Billy Kyle and Dylan Gorman. I looked at all my photos and notice very crisp and sharp images every time. I believe it's a software processing limitation, not speed or electronic vs mechanical shutter. I also make sure to keep my shutter speed between 1000 and 2000.

Left is original image, right is processed ortho.

Regards,

Gerry

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-11-21_12-21-44.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-11-21_12-21-44.jpg
    474 KB · Views: 27

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members