Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Restricted airspace

NovicePilot

Reaction score
Miami Florida and Bogota Colombia, my two homes!
Hi Pilots! I have been reading about class G and explored FAA Website and looked FAA Interactive maps to know if the field where I fly is restricted because is near a municipal airport. I know we should not fly above 400 FT (class G) but what is minimum horizontal distant from a small municipal airport to fly safety?

Thank you!!!

Reactions: mavicn00b
In class G airspace you are restricted to be within VLOS, so your distance will be the distance you or your spotter can see your drone.

For those Class G airports, there isn't a distance set like in controlled airspace (Class E to B). What is required of you is to be in the lookout at all times and avoid manned aircraft.

I live about 1/3 mile from a Class G uncontrolled community airport and have no restrictions. Only the common sense to "be alert" warning if flying in the area. My personal "guideline" is a 175 foot cell tower that is a bit closer to the airport. I figure if I'm below that cell tower height I'm in a safe zone. Many years ago before the first quad drone was even an idea on the drawing boards a number of local RC plane and helicopter hobbyists used the airport as their flying club area where they gathered and flew all their aircraft. There was never an incident. Based on FAA and AirMap maps, it would still be allowed to fly a UAS at this airport as long as you are safe and yield to other aircraft. Of course we all know that isn't a prudent choice of location for flying and might provoke a report from other aircraft pilots. No sense in stirring up the waters when Siri says there are 200 Million Square Miles on Planet Earth to find a more appropriate flying location.

The only time I fly in my neighborhood is to practice using the features of the drone and software which does not require any significant altitude to utilize those features.

Great tips but still my concern goes unanswer: I live about 3 milles from a municipal airport. Can I fly at that distance? A 5-mile distance restricted airspace is just pure bla bla...? I fly just to get to know the machine features, not high 30 ft and 100 ft horizontal distance.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Great tips but still my concern goes unanswer: I live about 3 milles from a municipal airport. Can I fly at that distance? A 5-mile distance restricted airspace is just pure bla bla...? I fly just to get to know the machine features, not high 30 ft and 100 ft horizontal distance.
Have a look at FAA VFR charts, depending on airspace of the particular airport(s). If airspace extends to the surface = no flying.period. Common sense says if you stay below level of the treetops you shouldn’t interfere with any manned traffic, but by the letter of the law any flying is not allowed. And all it takes is a disgruntled neighbor or over enthusiastic law enforcement to cause a lot of grief. At least educate yourself and have FAA charts so you know exactly what you are doing.

Reactions: Kelse
If the municipal airport is in class G airspace, then it is NOT controlled airspace. According to the FAA you are allowed to fly in class G up to 400' and as far as VLOS allows. @NovicePilot you can fly your 30' up 100' out at 3 miles from there airport if it's in Class G. If you tell us the name of this airport I can give you more details.

If the municipal airport is in class G airspace, then it is NOT controlled airspace. According to the FAA you are allowed to fly in class G up to 400' and as far as VLOS allows. @NovicePilot you can fly your 30' up 100' out at 3 miles from there airport if it's in Class G. If you tell us the name of this airport I can give you more details.
Thanks Ansia. The airport is Tamiami Airport in Miami, on 137 Ave SW. What does VLOS mean?

Thanks Ansia. The airport is Tamiami Airport in Miami, on 137 Ave SW. What does VLOS mean?
Visual Line Of Sight.

You will want to Register with AirMap. The most helpful drone pilot's friend you will ever need. It is integrated with the FAA National Airspace Database in real time. It will provide you with all the details for any chunk of dirt in the entire USA with regard to the status of flying in that area. Best of all, even in the restricted airspace areas of the United States, the recent launch of LAANC for recreational drone pilots, Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability, will allow you to request authorization to fly in restricted airspace in literally seconds after applying. Note I said restricted....NOT prohibited. There is a big difference. The area you live in provides flying opportunities at ZERO (prohibited), 100, 200, 300, and 400 foot altitudes depending on how close you are to Tamiami runways. But because that is in restricted airspace you must apply for permission (authorization) to fly in that area each time you put the bird in the air. But its no big deal to do.

Once you have created your flight plan online, added the minimal information details of who you are and what date and time you intend to fly, it may only take 20 or 30 seconds to get authorization to fly. I've used this a number of times in my flying areas in the next town where there is a control tower and restrictions.

So, visit this AirMap information page. AirMap LAANC Airspace Authorization Read the material and then follow their outlined steps on how to proceed. You will need to be registered with them in order to apply for authorization to fly near controlled airports. Its actually a fun interactive app to use.

POINTERS: Install the iOS and/or Android apps on your phone or tablet so that its always with you. BUT when you begin planning a mission somewhere to fly, use the WEBSITE online app first for your details. The reason is in your mobile app version it does not highlight uncontrolled airports in Class G airspace so you may not be aware of a local airfield or a private airstrip near the area you want to fly. The website online program does show all of those even miniscule airstrips and also identifies warning areas in unrestricted space like schools and other structures to be alert when flying around.

Here is what your Tamiami Executive Airport airspace looks like and associated altitude limits for the various regions around the airport. No doubt you will see your house location on the map. Note that the GRIDS are indicating airspace that requires authorization to fly or prohibits flying. Many airports overlap their 5 mile radius so in a given area the highest level of restriction will always apply to flying. As you can see there is an outer rim of orange that is uncontrolled airspace in Class G with no restrictions and therefore flying in that area only requires you to be alert to potential conflicts during your flight but no authorization is needed.

I will add that states like California are off the chart with respect to restrictions, many of which are local government restrictions and prohibitions. Other states and communities take a more common sense approach.
Good Luck and Safe Flying

Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 4.40.29 PM.png

Reactions: Ansia
A Cliffnote to the wall of text @Trox posted is:

Tamiami airport lies within Miami Executive Airport's Class D controlled airspace. So you are required authorization to fly there. If you live 3 miles north of Tamiami, you should be out of the controlled airspace, but we don't know your exact location (for security, please don't share it).

Download Airmap. It's a great way to know where you are flying and if there are restrictions. If you find yourself in a controlled airspace, but it says you can get authorization to fly up to 100', you can get instant authorization through Airmap.

I highly recommend you get Kittyhawk. I find it better than Airmap. ?

Reactions: Trox
Addendum to CliffNotes: ? Its an affliction since birth!

@NovicePilot FYI Kittyhawk is a similar app that is also tied into the FAA National Airspace Database and will grant you the same avenue for requesting authorization to fly in restricted space.

So its a matter of personal preference. I'd suggest interested pilots look over both apps. They are similar but have their differences in look and feel as well as a few features. I tried it and found AirMap was a bit simpler to use. I'm not much on bells and whistles.

Reactions: Drgnfli and Ansia
Addendum to CliffNotes: ? Its an affliction since birth!

@NovicePilot FYI Kittyhawk is a similar app that is also tied into the FAA National Airspace Database and will grant you the same avenue for requesting authorization to fly in restricted space.

So its a matter of personal preference. I'd suggest interested pilots look over both apps. They are similar but have their differences in look and feel as well as a few features. I tried it and found AirMap was a bit simpler to use. I'm not much on bells and whistles.
Thank you so much guys, with your help I have resolved some concerns about flying near small airports! I downloaded these apps: AIRMAP and B4UFLY. AIRMAP not only let you know the restrictions but the options to fly. One can get almost instant approval to fly at/below 100', 200", 300' and 400' in Class D zone. Meanwhile, B4UFLY direct you to sign in to Kittyhawk to get LAANC. I have to try both apps on the field and see their main differences. Thanks Ansia and Trox. This forum is of great help, instructional and always ready to assist novice -like me- and experienced pilots.

Reactions: Trox and Ansia
You can explore both AirMap and Kittyhawk without finalizing a Submit request to get a feel for each of their processes for setting up your flight plan area especially the tools to define the type of flight path, pattern or general area. Approvals are based on the Grid areas so going through the process of creating a specific flight path is not really "seen" by the automated programs; it just looks at the 'boxes' you have touched with your flight information. So you can save some time by just selecting an entire grid zone at a time.

The B4UFLY app was FAA's original approach to informing pilots and was pretty useless until they contracted with Kittyhawk to take over the responsibility to get the thing working and useful. They did a great job but B4UFLY has its shortfalls. It does not show at this time the No Fly Zones such as Federal wildlife refuges, wilderness areas, national parks and monuments. The other two apps do show those areas so their value is a notch above B4UFLY.

I have witnessed how fast TFR's (Temporary Flight Restrictions) and NOTAMs (Notice to Airmen) are displayed on all these apps' maps. It is near realtime too. Our massive wildfires in my area this summer have prohibited all aircraft flights around the fire zone and so I had the opportunity to see how fast those no fly zones are changed as the fires spread. The map changes as fast as the notices are announced online and through emails and texts.

The FAA system is finally maturing and by providing LAANC to receational hobbyist pilots it has really shown they are trying to give non-commercial drone pilots a fair shake and opportunity to fly too. I must give them all props.

You can explore both AirMap and Kittyhawk without finalizing a Submit request to get a feel for each of their processes for setting up your flight plan area especially the tools to define the type of flight path, pattern or general area. Approvals are based on the Grid areas so going through the process of creating a specific flight path is not really "seen" by the automated programs; it just looks at the 'boxes' you have touched with your flight information. So you can save some time by just selecting an entire grid zone at a time.

The B4UFLY app was FAA's original approach to informing pilots and was pretty useless until they contracted with Kittyhawk to take over the responsibility to get the thing working and useful. They did a great job but B4UFLY has its shortfalls. It does not show at this time the No Fly Zones such as Federal wildlife refuges, wilderness areas, national parks and monuments. The other two apps do show those areas so their value is a notch above B4UFLY.

I have witnessed how fast TFR's (Temporary Flight Restrictions) and NOTAMs (Notice to Airmen) are displayed on all these apps' maps. It is near realtime too. Our massive wildfires in my area this summer have prohibited all aircraft flights around the fire zone and so I had the opportunity to see how fast those no fly zones are changed as the fires spread. The map changes as fast as the notices are announced online and through emails and texts.

The FAA system is finally maturing and by providing LAANC to receational hobbyist pilots it has really shown they are trying to give non-commercial drone pilots a fair shake and opportunity to fly too. I must give them all props.
Great info...ths Trox.

There are a few vids on youtube comparing the two also.

With the new regulations regarding recreational pilots, the FAA plainly says the 5-mile restriction around airport no longer exists. All UAS pilots are now governed by the class of the airspace where they are going to operate. All airspace which is NOT Class A, B, C, D or E is Class G, which is "uncontrolled". The airspace around most non-towered airports is either Class G or Class E. Class G extends from the surface up to the bottom of the next space. For Class E, which is not an airport surface extension,it's floor is either 700 or 1,200 ft AGL. Therefore, you can operate up to 400 ft AGL in these areas. If you happen to be in Class B, C or D airspace, you must use one of the apps to get airspace authorization. You won't need authorization in Class E unless it is a surface extension, because you are limited to 400 ft. AGL.
How close to a Class G or E airport you can fly is a good question! ( I wouldn't go flying down the runway LOL)

Download "Airmap" to your phone. It will tell you if you need to use LAANC to allow you to fly in that area. Within 5 miles of an airport, drone flight ceilings may differ depending on the landing approach areas. The app Kittyhawk will do LAANC also but I like "Airmap" better!

Yes I did. Airmap is friendly to interface with, easy to understand. I am just playing with to get it to know better before pressing the Submit button. B4UFLY or Kittyhawk seems to be fine but definitely the AIRMAP user interface is much better. *****QUICK question: Some high building have heliports, are they considered Class G? ****

Reactions: Ansia
If the Heliport is in class G, then yes. You still have to keep your drone within VLOS and give way to them, even if you are in class G.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MFJ