Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Via the FAA to sUAS/Drone Operators - The Airspace We Share

gschulzuio

Reaction score
In our most recent FAA Safety Team (FAAST) reps update (e.g. learn more at faasafety.gov) we were given some info to pass along including what BigAl07 posted the other day. One of the recurring themes is that of shared airspace, and awareness that manned aircraft may be in the 500' agl (or lower airspace), and, that sUAS e.g. drones might be above 400' agl (authorized or non-authorized).

Key theme and message is that dont assume airspace below 400' agl is just for drones, likewise, for manned aircraft, be on the alert for sUAS when down low.

Also regardless of if a fixed wing plane, backpack parachute, helicopter, ultra-lite or other manned aircraft flies into area where you are operating a sUAS e.g. drone, it is the drone operators responsibility to see, be seen, and avoid yielding to the other aircraft. Does this also mean that there is an emphasis on spreading awareness to manned aircraft operators to also watch out for sUAS/drones? Yes.

The following is an excerpt from our recent FAAST reps update, e.g. "The Airspace We Share".

The Airspace We Share

As of March 2022, there have been six documented cases of drones colliding with helicopters and two with traditional general aviation (GA) fixed-wing aircraft. In all cases, the pilot of the traditional aircraft reported not seeing the drone or seeing it too late to avoid a collision. Additionally in Chile, a drone penetrated the windscreen of a Bell Jet Ranger helicopter and struck a non-flying crewmember in the face, causing lacerations and requiring immediate medical attention.

The U.S. investigations determined the drone operators were either “screen watching” or not looking in the direction where the traditional aircraft was approaching and were surprised by the sudden appearance of another aircraft. Screen watching is a term used to convey the concept of a drone operator primarily looking at the control station display, or viewing the subject of their photography, while not observing the drone and surrounding airspace.

Five of the eight collisions occurred at altitudes above 400 ft. above ground level (AGL). Three collisions occurred below 400 ft. AGL, and in one case the drone operator and helicopter pilot were aware of each other’s presence yet still collided while the drone operator was maneuvering for a better video shot and not scanning the airspace. This drone operator did not use a visual observer.

Reactions: 30plusretlaw
unfortunately i think the key point is regardless where in the airspace (AGL) this happens and even if you have vlos and you are eyes on AND you do everything you can do to avoid a collision AND the manned aircraft doesn't bother....you (the drone operator) will STILL be responsible for the collision. it's not a shared airspace; it's their airspace and often you are the uninvited. therefore in the event of a collision, you should prepare yourself accordingly.

unfortunately i think the key point is regardless where in the airspace (AGL) this happens and even if you have vlos and you are eyes on AND you do everything you can do to avoid a collision AND the manned aircraft doesn't bother....you (the drone operator) will STILL be responsible for the collision. it's not a shared airspace; it's their airspace and often you are the uninvited. therefore in the event of a collision, you should prepare yourself accordingly.
Correct, as the drone operator, you are responsible and need to take action to avoid collision.

Reactions: MNT DRONE SOLUTIONS
I have to deal with cropdusters. They often times cannot be seen until in your face. The other bad thing is the national guard flying treetop level over town. That is less than 180 feet agl. They have been warned about being too low but only temporarily stops their illegally low flights.

Reactions: 30plusretlaw
I have to deal with cropdusters. They often times cannot be seen until in your face. The other bad thing is the national guard flying treetop level over town. That is less than 180 feet agl. They have been warned about being too low but only temporarily stops their illegally low flights.
That sucks and if something happens is your fault🤷‍♂️

If there were tail #'s, I took many pics, looked, zoomed, nothing, when you don't play by the rules in flight no sense advertising ;)

Reactions: gschulzuio
One thing about this article was it only mentioned where one incident occured and that was not in the USA, yet it said US investigators were involved? Why? I know some countries have not imposed the tight restrictions the FAA has on US citizens and to be honest who trust a govt entity. So a report like this; without any facts or proof should be considered heresay. I work in a different branch of law enforcement and see many reports based on absolutely no facts what so ever. My apologies but at my age Ive learned this sometimes the hard way.

One thing about this article was it only mentioned where one incident occured and that was not in the USA, yet it said US investigators were involved? Why? I know some countries have not imposed the tight restrictions the FAA has on US citizens and to be honest who trust a govt entity. So a report like this; without any facts or proof should be considered heresay. I work in a different branch of law enforcement and see many reports based on absolutely no facts what so ever. My apologies but at my age Ive learned this sometimes the hard way.
As to why USA was involved in the Chile incident, I do not know the answer, perhaps they were asked to assist. Following is some additional material you can look through, research and review in progress as well as completed reports. Note that the following is NTSB info thus not "heresay" and where the info is not confirmed, it is noted as suspect, or being investigated etc.

Visit the NTSB site:

Do a search, specify start/end date (for example, 01/01/2015 to 04/09/2022), and for aircraft type specify Unmanned and view results.

Note that the above includes whats currently being investigated as well as completed. Also note that the above are only for incidents where a collision took place or suspected.

Here's an example of the DJI Mavic and a helicopter collision while filming an off-road race:

Here's an example of a suspected impact with helicopter, however the suspected drone was never found:

Its not . As I thought i stated above they e been warned by law enforcement and the Faa to stop. One of my friends rides with them. Hes the one who gave me the info.

Its not . As I thought i stated above they e been warned by law enforcement and the Faa to stop. One of my friends rides with them. Hes the one who gave me the info.
Visit the FAA FSDO site to find contact info for the FSDO of your area, they might like to here from you. You can also visit the FAA Safety Team (FAAST) page scroll down to lower left (or click here) to view directory and contact info of FAAST Program Manager (FPM) for your area who can also put you in touch with local FSDO.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hippo35