Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

FAA Facility Maps (LAANC Grids)

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
This comes up a LOT and we need to do a PSA to all FAA UAS operators. On the UAS Facility Maps (LAANC Grids) there are boxes with a # in it (0 - 400). Some people mistakenly think this is the "allowed altitude by default" for that grid section. This is NOT the case. The altitude listed is the MAX altitude you will most likely get approval if you submit a request via LAANC. This is a mere shortcut so that you don't ask for 300' in a 100' location (it will get denied).

Any and EVERY flight inside of Controlled Airspace must be pre-authorized before the UAS takes off. This would be done via LAANC if it's available and your request is "normal". If it's outside of the listed altitude you'll have to submit a manual request via the FAA Drone Zone portal.

It's also important to know that not EVERY submission gets approval even if less than the noted altitude. An active airport is a very DYNAMIC area and things like Emergencies, Military Operations, VIP Activity, Maintenance, and Equipment Failures can alter normal traffic etc and a seemingly simple and routine request CAN get denied.

Reactions: gschulzuio
This comes up a LOT and we need to do a PSA to all FAA UAS operators. On the UAS Facility Maps (LAANC Grids) there are boxes with a # in it (0 - 400). Some people mistakenly think this is the "allowed altitude by default" for that grid section. This is NOT the case. The altitude listed is the MAX altitude you will most likely get approval if you submit a request via LAANC. This is a mere shortcut so that you don't ask for 300' in a 100' location (it will get denied).

Any and EVERY flight inside of Controlled Airspace must be pre-authorized before the UAS takes off. This would be done via LAANC if it's available and your request is "normal". If it's outside of the listed altitude you'll have to submit a manual request via the FAA Drone Zone portal.

It's also important to know that not EVERY submission gets approval even if less than the noted altitude. An active airport is a very DYNAMIC area and things like Emergencies, Military Operations, VIP Activity, Maintenance, and Equipment Failures can alter normal traffic etc and a seemingly simple and routine request CAN get denied.
Something else to add, is that in the UASFM grids, those altitudes (if authorized, approved) are absolute, e.g. you can play the height of a structure plus the published altitude game (e.g. like part 107 can do in uncontrolled airspace).

To go higher than the published altitude in controlled airspace, you need to go to dronezone and request a 107.41 airspace authorization for what you need to do. Even in those 107.41 coas, there is usually wording that the altitudes are absolute, no combining with structures in controlled airspace.

Note that this is only good for part 107 as hobbyist can not request higher than published altitudes, nor can they request waivers.

So I have a question since I fly an Autel and that's all I've ever owned.... Do the DJI drones with geo fencing still allow you to take off and fly in a say... 0' height grid in controlled airspace? Reason I ask is that is [Language removed by Admin] me off to see people blatantly disregarding the rules and flying anywhere they please when you know damned well they never got authorization to fly somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have a question since I fly an Autel and that's all I've ever owned.... Do the DJI drones with geo fencing still allow you to take off and fly in a say... 0' height grid in controlled airspace? Reason I ask is that is [Language removed by Admin] me off to see people blatantly disregarding the rules and flying anywhere they please when you know damned well they never got authorization to fly somewhere.

DJI is hit or miss and often times their "GeoFencing" is more restrictive than the actual regulations are. We've seen several instances where the DJI FlySafe was restricting flight where no FAA restrictions exist. But yes, the intent of the DJI FlySafe GeoFencing is to prevent flight in restricted airspace.

The DJI GeoFencing has stopped countless "unknowing" illegal flights but there are ways around it and in fact, I have TWO DJI aircraft that have all DJI GeoFencing completely removed. I can (and have) fly literally beside and active runway with either of those aircraft. The responsibility to Fly Safe and Legal is 100% on my shoulders and not on our Chinese vendors.

FWIW, if you have not looked at the UASFM lately for areas you fly, or plan to fly, there have been updates and improvements over past year and months. These include opening some areas that were previously NFZ or "0" grids as well as raising altitudes in others. Keep in mind that the authorized altitudes are still absolute meaning no combining height of building plus airspace (even if you are part 107). However as @BigAl07 said, its ultimately up to the operator to know where and when to fly, have airspace authorizations, as well as knowing where there feet are on the ground (e.g. is it permissible to fly from that location).

Reactions: BigAl07

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ranga