Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Recent Response from Autel regarding Explorer App and rear sensor

TJBC75

Reaction score
Hi, Just thought I would share a response I received from Autel regarding some questions I had about the Explorer App and the rear facing sensor. Here are the questions I sent and the response follows:

Hi, I am close to purchasing the Evo. Just a few questions regarding future enhancements. Are there any planned enhancements to the Autel Explorer App? I am particularly interested in Panorama modes similar to the DJI and Parrot apps. Any chance those may be included in the near future? Also, will the waypoint function be upgraded to include more options similar to the Litchi app? It is great that it is built in to the Explorer app, but it could use some additional options. DJI’s new Waypoints 2.0 for the Mavic Pro 2 series is a good example of the options that I would be looking for. Any additional intelligent flight modes contemplated? Finally, I do quite a bit of backward flying. It is great that the Evo has the rear sensor, but any chance that it can be used to stop the drone in case there is an obstruction in normal modes versus just the novice mode?

RESPONSE:
To answer your questions, At this time we don't have any of those features planned, nor do we have additional features planned at this time. I have not heard anything in regards to upgraded waypoints, and no, the rear sensor cannot stop the drone outside of standard mode, as it's an IR sensor. The rear sensor is too short range to stop the drone at any speed above the novice mode.

I was kind of surprised that Autel is not contemplating improving and enhancing the Explorer app further. Has the Evo and the Explorer App matured to the point of not being improved any further?

Probably not, but they don’t know you from Adam. Be the same as asking Samsung about the new S10 or Apple about notchless IPhones. Nobody will tell you what they’re working on and coming from the Anafi....panorama mode kind of sucked. A small breeze can blow it off course and the pano is messed up. Take a few pictures of an area and let apps like affinity photo do a pano for you. As far as sensors, be aware of the surroundings...I side swiped a [emoji269] Saturday, I wasn’t paying close enough attention, but bird flew fine after inspection. Hit it prolly 5mph sideways and hit the ground from 20ft. I say if you want freedom in a drone, get the Evo. I’m glad I did and didn’t put my money into lending a dji

IR sensors dont work all that well TBH. The P4P has it for rear and side, and that only works in tripod mode. On the spark that only works in regular speed which is about 10km/h. On the Mavic 2, they're only used for top and bottom so the drone isnt really going that fast. They also dont work very well if flying into glass I found as the IR beam seems to pass right through it.
They're almost useless on the Evo.

Should have asked them when they are going to release the SDK for developers. Probably the only way you will see any new Apps for the EVO.

IR sensors dont work all that well TBH. The P4P has it for rear and side, and that only works in tripod mode. On the spark that only works in regular speed which is about 10km/h. On the Mavic 2, they're only used for top and bottom so the drone isnt really going that fast. They also dont work very well if flying into glass I found as the IR beam seems to pass right through it.
They're almost useless on the Evo.
My P4P doesn't have IR sensors in the back. Just on the sides, but yes, the side IR sensors only work on Tripod mode and Follow me features.

Front
20190129_125553.jpg
Side
20190129_125346.jpg
Rear20190129_125350.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, Just thought I would share a response I received from Autel regarding some questions I had about the Explorer App and the rear facing sensor. Here are the questions I sent and the response follows:

Hi, I am close to purchasing the Evo. Just a few questions regarding future enhancements. Are there any planned enhancements to the Autel Explorer App? I am particularly interested in Panorama modes similar to the DJI and Parrot apps. Any chance those may be included in the near future? Also, will the waypoint function be upgraded to include more options similar to the Litchi app? It is great that it is built in to the Explorer app, but it could use some additional options. DJI’s new Waypoints 2.0 for the Mavic Pro 2 series is a good example of the options that I would be looking for. Any additional intelligent flight modes contemplated? Finally, I do quite a bit of backward flying. It is great that the Evo has the rear sensor, but any chance that it can be used to stop the drone in case there is an obstruction in normal modes versus just the novice mode?

RESPONSE:
To answer your questions, At this time we don't have any of those features planned, nor do we have additional features planned at this time. I have not heard anything in regards to upgraded waypoints, and no, the rear sensor cannot stop the drone outside of standard mode, as it's an IR sensor. The rear sensor is too short range to stop the drone at any speed above the novice mode.

I was kind of surprised that Autel is not contemplating improving and enhancing the Explorer app further. Has the Evo and the Explorer App matured to the point of not being improved any further?
Wow, another example of Autel firing it’s marketing/communication professionals. That’s not how you respond to those questions. It’s like an engineer wrote it on a lunch break... If they haven’t planned upgrades “at this time”, it doesn’t mean they never will, as the tone implies. Throw us a bone folks! Geeeeez, Comm 101...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ansia
Hi guys, Thanks for your responses. I am really on the fence regarding purchasing the Evo. I have two Dji's (Spark and Mavic Pro) and the Anafi, but I always had a great interest in the Evo since it was announced last year - I like a lot of its features, seems like a great camera (which is very important to me) and I like the fact that the remote has a built in screen that allows you to skip a smart phone if you want, although it is a small screen. I am kind of one of those guys who never met a a drone I did not like, its just that some are better then others. I fly 3 to 4 times per week. I've had very good luck with the three drones I have now and I am not tied to one particular brand or company. To tell you the truth, the response from the Autel representative kind of scares me a bit - it just seems they have reached a plateau with the Evo and Explorer app and that's it. Best Buy has a great deal for the Evo this week at $999 and it includes the Free On the Go Bundle with two extra batteries and a $100 Best Buy gift card, so if I am going to move on it, now is a good time. The Evo reviews are mostly very good and I was hoping for continued improvements and new features in the app and firmware, but now I am not so sure. Am I being too paranoid about the Evo's (and possibly Autel's) future? I heard a rumor that the Evo could be Autel's last consumer drone. I am new to the Autel pilots site, so many of you have a lot more experience with Evo and Autel - any words of wisdom?

LOL, it seems like every drone maker’s current model is rumored to be their last consumer drone, doesn’t it?
My 2 cents, it seems pretty clear the consumer market has contracted. All the remaining makers are pushing their commerical offerings as it seems that’s where the growth is. Will Autel make it? Dunno. They’ve obviosuly got good SW/HW engineers, like Parrot & Yuncee, but both those companies offer more models than Autel. You could argue Autel’s small size makes them more vulnerable, but it could also make them more surviviable too.
That BB deal is very good, I’ve been tempted only b/c it’s so much quieter than my treasured XSP’s, which are a great camera drones.

Damn. I'm going to BB and see if it's also available down here.

Look online or Best Buy app. They gave me the gift card but neglected to tell me about the bundle. Called and asked a week later, they said I had to return the evo...pay the 15% restocking fee and repurchase it to get the bundle. Basically spend $150 for their $220 bundle.

Look online or Best Buy app. They gave me the gift card but neglected to tell me about the bundle. Called and asked a week later, they said I had to return the evo...pay the 15% restocking fee and repurchase it to get the bundle. Basically spend $150 for their $220 bundle.
You can get it right here! Note the Free EVO accessory bundle under the price...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/autel-...-skycontroller-orange/6238322.p?skuId=6238322
I'm screwed. I can only buy at the Best Buy store. They don't ship to PR, because we aren't a state.

Take the info into to the store, more than likely they will recognize their online sale

Damn.... reduced to Steerage eh? Know anybody in Florida? USPS Priority is easy, but those DAMN LiPo's make it harder...

It says Price Match Guarantee -- will they price-match themselves? LOL

Damn.... reduced to Steerage eh? Know anybody in Florida? USPS Priority is easy, but those DAMN LiPo's make it harder...

It says Price Match Guarantee -- will they price-match themselves? LOL
I'm escaping my work right now. Will let you know how it goes.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonhenkelman