Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Question on max operating ceiling.

I question things at first, Old Timer is right, it is the value of the service ceiling above the sea. That is to say that the propellers will no longer be able to stir enough air given the re-refraction of air density, which will lead to certain instability of the device.
For example, Dji the ceiling for the Mavic 2: Max practical ceiling. above sea level = 6,000 m, ie above it is no longer controllable and unstable.
Helicopters also have their limits when climbing vertically.
And possible icing of the propellers too.
and moreover, certain helicopters have preventive measures at high altitute.
In-flight icing defenses
3-2 Helicopters
Defrosting the blades
By heating mat on the leading edges
Cycled or permanent

You probably saw me in the funny papers ?
I thought we were talking about AGL.

I question things at first, Old Timer is right, it is the value of the service ceiling above the sea. That is to say that the propellers will no longer be able to stir enough air given the re-refraction of air density, which will lead to certain instability of the device.
For example, Dji the ceiling for the Mavic 2: Max practical ceiling. above sea level = 6,000 m, ie above it is no longer controllable and unstable.
Helicopters also have their limits when climbing vertically.
And possible icing of the propellers too.
and moreover, certain helicopters have preventive measures at high altitute.
In-flight icing defenses
3-2 Helicopters
Defrosting the blades
By heating mat on the leading edges
Cycled or permanent
That is all a different topic than the OP I think.
The OP was asking a different question as far as I can see.

So I have a question for the masses. Not looking to start a fight or a throw down but this is just meant to enlighten and provoke some thought(s)

I'm a licensed -107 pilot for my job as a Paramedic/Firefighter. We use several drones in our fleet for various purposes, mostly for USAR as well as incident/damage surveying. We exclusively operate closer to the ground so that's why I ask this question. Now that I'm finally getting a drone for hobby purposes, I'm looking to expand my views and knowledge of drone use(s) for other purposes.

So why, when Autel updated the maximum AGL to around 1600ft does everyone freak out? Why and when does anyone have a need to fly that high?

Again, serous question. Just looking to see how everyone else thinks.
I know this is an old post, but I have flown television tower inspections on towers that were 1350 ft AGL. I didn't go above the top of the tower, but I could have flown 1750 ft (400 ft over the structure).

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juan.t