Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Question on max operating ceiling.

PoqFFEMTP

Reaction score
So I have a question for the masses. Not looking to start a fight or a throw down but this is just meant to enlighten and provoke some thought(s)

I'm a licensed -107 pilot for my job as a Paramedic/Firefighter. We use several drones in our fleet for various purposes, mostly for USAR as well as incident/damage surveying. We exclusively operate closer to the ground so that's why I ask this question. Now that I'm finally getting a drone for hobby purposes, I'm looking to expand my views and knowledge of drone use(s) for other purposes.

So why, when Autel updated the maximum AGL to around 1600ft does everyone freak out? Why and when does anyone have a need to fly that high?

Again, serous question. Just looking to see how everyone else thinks.

Because some of us like to take shot of mountain ranges and don't want to be limited by software. I'm a part 107 holder as well, and this is a total deal breaker. Period. Canceling my Evo II preorder. This is not how I want to fly. I don't need a reason other than I want to fly that high if it is legal. People freak out because they like to be in control of what they are responsible for. I'm flying that drone and I'm responsible for it. I don't want software to "allow" me to do anything. Technology is here to serve us not vice versa. The ire is fundamental.

Because some of us like to take shot of mountain ranges and don't want to be limited by software. I'm a part 107 holder as well, and this is a total deal breaker. Period. Canceling my Evo II preorder. This is not how I want to fly. I don't need a reason other than I want to fly that high if it is legal. People freak out because they like to be in control of what they are responsible for. I'm flying that drone and I'm responsible for it. I don't want software to "allow" me to do anything. Technology is here to serve us not vice versa. The ire is fundamental.

Ok, but if you are only allowed 400ft AGL max, what's the point of flying any higher? Even in the mountains, 400 ft AGL is your max ceiling. Even DJI sets the same limit.

Hello guys,

To answer your question, please take a look at Section 107.51 (Operating Limits of SUA). It clearly states that you CAN operate above 400ft. Remember, if you are filming a structure that is taller than 400ft, you can still legally go above that structure another 400ft. Any civilian aircraft approaching that same structure must raise his/her altitude just as well by 500ft, therefore leaving a 100ft. "safety gap" between us and them. I've attached screenshots from the FAA website stating such. Also remember, don't rely on Airmaps and others to provide you with proper airspace limits. Actually look at your sectional charts to determine the actual airspace limits. All classes, depending on the area will be a little different. Remember the "upside down wedding cake"? I've met several pilots who turned down jobs because Airmap gave them the "RED ZONE" and they didn't fly a mission. FAR 91.119 Covers civilian minimum altitude limits. Have a nice day guys!

Attachments

• Part 107 Height.JPG
    Part 107 Height.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Part 107 Height 2.JPG
    Part 107 Height 2.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Airspace Chart.jpg
    Airspace Chart.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Civilian Aircraft Height Limit.JPG
    Civilian Aircraft Height Limit.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I don't believe you will get the chance to photograph a building that is taller than the 500m set ceiling. At least for inspections. All other drone companies have the same ceiling, so I don't see why people are freaking out over this. If you want to keep your Evo's limit to the original 700m, simply don't update to the latest Explorer app.

Ok, but if you are only allowed 400ft AGL max, what's the point of flying any higher? Even in the mountains, 400 ft AGL is your max ceiling. Even DJI sets the same limit.
The 400 feet AGL is from your takeoff point in the software. A mountain will rise in elevation in relation to the take off point of the drone. Therefore you will need to be able to fly the drone higher than it's altitude restriction if the mountain is above that. You still can maintain 400 ft AGL from any point on the mountain. MY problem is being forced to obey. I don't want to be forced. That's all. It bothers me. I feel that if they take that away from me, what else will they decide that I don't need to do in the future. You people have no concept of freedom. It's frightening.

• Sad
Reactions: Munchingmolar
The 400 feet AGL is from your takeoff point in the software. A mountain will rise in elevation in relation to the take off point of the drone. Therefore you will need to be able to fly the drone higher than it's altitude restriction if the mountain is above that. You still can maintain 400 ft AGL from any point on the mountain. MY problem is being forced to obey. I don't want to be forced. That's all. It bothers me. I feel that if they take that away from me, what else will they decide that I don't need to do in the future. You people have no concept of freedom. It's frightening.
Let's change the perspective from Freedom to Safety. In order for you to go up the mountain 1,600' from takeoff, you would need to be even further in distance (unless you were flying up a cliff). From my experience, you are unable to see your drone after the first 500' high and some 1,500' in the distance. How do you comply with the VLOS regulation?

Ok, this last statement ISN'T where I wanted to go with it. Firstly, no one is forcing you to do anything. Second, I know freedom. Put my 20+ years in defending it. So yes, I do have a clue. I just wanted to ask everyone out there why they wanted to fly higher than the Empire State Building.

Reactions: Deleted member 6303
Ok, this last statement ISN'T where I wanted to go with it. Firstly, no one is forcing you to do anything. Second, I know freedom. Put my 20+ years in defending it. So yes, I do have a clue. I just wanted to ask everyone out there why they wanted to fly higher than the Empire State Building.
OK I'll answer that. Why not fly higher than the Empire State Building? If manned aircraft must be 500 feet above that structure that gives me plenty of room to fly and take some great shots. There's why I want to. It poses no risk. 20 years defending it? From poor brown people that were a threat to me? Save it.

I hope that No Limit Dronez will develope any enhancement to remove limits on EVO drones too. ;)
Question: after the last firmware update 2.1.0, which is the altitude limit?

Last edited:
On the topic of freedom. That is a discussion for another thread. Any other post about this will get deleted.

On flying over the Empire State Building. Technically you could, but a 2lbs drone flying at 50+ mph winds, it's just an accident waiting to happen. The higher you go, the harder is to control the drone. You also have the subject of VLOS.

To me the answer is simple.
I don't think there is any state in the US that the speed limit is above 80 MPH.
Would you like your car to be limited to that speed? I dont speed but I wouldn't like my drone to be limited in height.
But there are a lot of knuckle heads in there. All we need is a drone to be sucked into the engines of a commercial jet approaching or departing an airport
So maybe the answer is not simple. Im ok with 1500 ft. Not many mountains around here in fl

Reactions: PoqFFEMTP
On the topic of freedom. That is a discussion for another thread. Any other post about this will get deleted.

On flying over the Empire State Building. Technically you could, but a 2lbs drone flying at 50+ mph winds, it's just an accident waiting to happen. The higher you go, the harder is to control the drone. You also have the subject of VLOS.

And this is what I was trying to ask. Why does anyone need to fly higher than xxx height? I can see the mountain reply, although I think that is a one off.
Flying above a structure, trying to get to that xxx + 400ft in height presents its own set of problems for a small UAV.

To me the answer is simple.
I don't think there is any state in the US that the speed limit is above 80 MPH.
Would you like your car to be limited to that speed? I dont speed but I wouldn't like my drone to be limited in height.
But there are a lot of knuckle heads in there. All we need is a drone to be sucked into the engines of a commercial jet approaching or departing an airport
So maybe the answer is not simple. Im ok with 1500 ft. Not many mountains around here in fl
The reason they are limiting to 80mph, is because there are a few idiots who want to test out how high they can go. In my opinion, giving them 1,600’ is being generous. I understand how you feel about this, but if you fly other brands of drone, you will be limited to it as well. Have you been restricted while flying?

Reminds me of the joke about what is the only thing bad about a bus load of lawyers going over a cliff. LOL

Hello guys,

To answer your question, please take a look at Section 107.51 (Operating Limits of SUA). It clearly states that you CAN operate above 400ft. Remember, if you are filming a structure that is taller than 400ft, you can still legally go above that structure another 400ft. Any civilian aircraft approaching that same structure must raise his/her altitude just as well by 500ft, therefore leaving a 100ft. "safety gap" between us and them. I've attached screenshots from the FAA website stating such. Also remember, don't rely on Airmaps and others to provide you with proper airspace limits. Actually look at your sectional charts to determine the actual airspace limits. All classes, depending on the area will be a little different. Remember the "upside down wedding cake"? I've met several pilots who turned down jobs because Airmap gave them the "RED ZONE" and they didn't fly a mission. FAR 91.119 Covers civilian minimum altitude limits. Have a nice day guys!
This clearly explains the height requirments per the FAA. Not that complicated.

I think 16,000 ' is the service ceiling above sea level. So if your on a hill
17'000 ' it wouldn't get off the ground.

I think 16,000 ' is the service ceiling above sea level. So if your on a hill
17'000 ' it wouldn't get off the ground.
Does not have anything to do with that. It's a flght restriction from take off point. Take off point is 0/ground level. Whether you take off from an altitude of +16000 ft or -100 ft sea level.

Last edited:
I think you are CORECT But you still can't take off at 17,000 the blame thing
won't fly at that altitude. I think they are referring to service ceiling. I thought I was wrong once before but I was
wrong.
Have a good night & Happy Flying

See you in the funny papers ;)

Reactions: Tufargon

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MountainDroneTN