Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Question about Obstacle Avoidance - No luck finding a an answer on my own

LoneRider

Reaction score
New member, first post-

New to the Autel Evo II after a Phantom 3 and Mavic Pro.

One of the things that sold me on the Evo II was OA - managed to plow my Mavic into a tree and had to pay someone to retrieve it.

Here is the thing, with OA on, it comes to a stop when it senses something - good, but then it won’t seem to let me go in that direction at all, not even at a crawl.

Example, I take off from a small back deck, I try to return and land, it sees the house and stops about 2’ shy of coming over the deck. Would like to be able to just temp override or crawl al title closer to the obstacle.

I get you can turn it off, but that is a multi step process. Any way to acknowledge and continue?

Tried making your landing approach from a higher altitude? I have the same issue with my back patio, and approaching from above the roof line and then descending has worked every time so far. You want to get the horizontal sensors out of the decision making process for forward movement if you can.

Last edited:
Hopefully Autel will change to allow us to get closer to objects based on going slower. I can uderstanding wanting to stop 20 ft away when going 22mph, but they should be able to adjust the aggressiveness of the system when going at slower speeds. Maybe they are concerned about the diagonal angles that are not covered. Hopefully Autel will relax a bit.

Reactions: parkgt
Yea, it would be nice to adjust the sensitivity of the sensors. I've turned my EXP settings waaaaayyy down so that I can turn OA off at times to "creep" up on objects I'm trying to get a good look at for inspection. Helps a lot.

Reactions: mboyer48
I think you might find that if you crab in at a 45 degree angle you can continue in slowly. Those OA blind spot can be taken advantage of, carefully!
But beware of the blind spots at 45-deg at each corner. I nearly got caught in a tree branch that was hiding in a blind spot. I didn't even know until I saw the video as I backed up.

But beware of the blind spots at 45-deg at each corner. I nearly got caught in a tree branch that was hiding in a blind spot. I didn't even know until I saw the video as I backed up.

Yes, they are some that mistakenly believe and post that the E2 has 360 degree OA. It clearly does not, the coverage of the sensors is clearly shown on Autel's documentation. It is not a Skydio2 in disguise.

Reactions: Rubik3x
That’s what I was thinking, hit the brakes but then let a small input creep in whichever direction.

Alternatively of course if the A or B button could be programmed to switch OA on/off that would be nice too.
On the new app version I do believe it has that feature, I'm still learning.

Tapping on the green circles icon near the top right of your phone screen turns them off. But it doesn't shut up the beeping. If you are landing visually, you can hit the tool icon at the very top right to go into your menu settings and it silences the beeping. Maybe this will work for you?

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo