Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Quality control is bad

Good service but for me I am in Canada an I won't send my evo back just for something minor esthetic. To much trouble to send and get back to me. I will leave it like that.
Same here, the Evo is working fine and no issues so far. I will just keep it like that.

Same here, the Evo is working fine and no issues so far. I will just keep it like that.

It sounds like customer service was willing to come through with a repair or replacement, but you would still be down for a couple weeks for the round trip shipping. Mine was spotless when I got it, although I ordered mine on original release date and received it the next day. They're made in China, a country which has a spotty reputation for QC, so I don't know if QC was performed in China or the US.

Reactions: macoman
It sounds like customer service was willing to come through with a repair or replacement, but you would still be down for a couple weeks for the round trip shipping. Mine was spotless when I got it, although I ordered mine on original release date and received it the next day. They're made in China, a country which has a spotty reputation for QC, so I don't know if QC was performed in China or the US.
I mean the scratches are light ones that are not deep. Yes, you can see it easily but I thought you know, the aircraft is working fine, no issues of any kind... Why I would send it back and risk myself that perhaps they will send a refurbished with issues on it? Like DJI use to do. I am not saying that they are DJI but if it's working with no issues, why fix it?

Reactions: Maxheadspace
I mean the scratches are light ones that are not deep. Yes, you can see it easily but I thought you know, the aircraft is working fine, no issues of any kind... Why I would send it back and risk myself that perhaps they will send a refurbished with issues on it? Like DJI use to do. I am not saying that they are DJI but if it's working with no issues, why fix it?

I am having similar type problem(s) -- and get this -- the replacements sent so far were just as bad.

I bought an EVO from my local Best Buy 01/28/2019. I did not like the look of the box at all and wanted another, but this was all they claimed they could find. (They showed 2 in-stock and they do not inventory their displays). Thanks to your info here, I was able to deduce I had been given a used unit (tested by Autel) with the round seal on the box.

There was a re-stocking fee if I opened the drone and return it for any reason -- so two days later -- I return the unopened drone and make the people at the store find the other one showing still in stock. It was finally located and was a true unsealed/untested unit. (It had a clear/long seal instead of black/round). I still opened it to find a few light scratches on one of the legs. I wasn't happy, but not trying to be an *** at this point.

Part of the deal was the on-the-go bundle. It was shipped directly from Autel and originally was told it would be 02/19 before it would arrive. Fortunately -- it arrived two weeks ago. Unfortunately - I quickly found the orange finish on the batteries shipped to be horribly scratched and pitted on both. At this point I realize there is slack quality control. I called them up and sent them all my information, photos and then shipped the damaged batteries back -- to be sent two replacements.

Mix in UPS's blunders -- finally after being lost and delayed in weather -- they arrived yesterday.

Both were scratched and pitted -- this time, one was acceptable/but still blemished like my drone when I opened it -- the other was just as bad as the first two I sent back. SO back to the phone I went last night. Now I am having to send them both back again (even though I told him one was OK). I pointed out that instead of asking for "free" merchandise -- all I wanted was for them to send this next shipment "Next Day". They refused based on cost and will send them standard UPS once they see I have the bad ones sent back. I told them there was no sense in asking for free merchandise that run the same risk of showing up in used/damaged condition.

The batteries are in a plastic bag, packaged beautifully in foam all the way around it in a sturdy cardboard box. There is no way this damage is occurring in shipping. This is slack quality control on Autel's part. These batteries are being packaged this way during the manufacturing process. My battery that came with my drone was perfect and after seeing damage ranging from minimal to full-on with the ones I received yesterday -- there is no excuse for this.

So to be clear -- all Autel is doing in this situation, is attempting to get me product that is free from defect -- that is all. Not understanding why companies operate today thinking they can try a second, third or heaven forbid a fourth time to make something right that should have been right the first time. This will be the third time in a month Autel is shipping product to me.

First two shipped.

My original EVO battery as compared to the first batteries sent. Batteries are turned up in some photos because I had to provide a photo of the serial numbers to Autel -- so I do realize they scratch easy and need no one pointing this out.

Second shipment.

My fingers are crossed they can finally deliver -- but I am not going to hold my breath. I'd already be blue and dead at this point.

Lastly, I have attached a photo of the first unit I was given - if Best Buy would have been unable to locate the other drone -- I would have simply returned it and just walked away. Kind of wishing I would have done that now. When you pay a lot of money for something, it shouldn't be like this.

Reactions: macoman
The finish they put on there make the batteries scratch instantly. I had the same situation as you with the on the go bundle had a battery that was scratched. (now all 3 are scratched from rubbing against each other) I do not care their support is great they have always helped me and all of the batteries seem to be working fine. Just make sure you use the app and check your cells.

I am having similar type problem(s) -- and get this -- the replacements sent so far were just as bad.

I bought an EVO from my local Best Buy 01/28/2019. I did not like the look of the box at all and wanted another, but this was all they claimed they could find. (They showed 2 in-stock and they do not inventory their displays). Thanks to your info here, I was able to deduce I had been given a used unit (tested by Autel) with the round seal on the box.

There was a re-stocking fee if I opened the drone and return it for any reason -- so two days later -- I return the unopened drone and make the people at the store find the other one showing still in stock. It was finally located and was a true unsealed/untested unit. (It had a clear/long seal instead of black/round). I still opened it to find a few light scratches on one of the legs. I wasn't happy, but not trying to be an *** at this point.

Part of the deal was the on-the-go bundle. It was shipped directly from Autel and originally was told it would be 02/19 before it would arrive. Fortunately -- it arrived two weeks ago. Unfortunately - I quickly found the orange finish on the batteries shipped to be horribly scratched and pitted on both. At this point I realize there is slack quality control. I called them up and sent them all my information, photos and then shipped the damaged batteries back -- to be sent two replacements.

Mix in UPS's blunders -- finally after being lost and delayed in weather -- they arrived yesterday.

Both were scratched and pitted -- this time, one was acceptable/but still blemished like my drone when I opened it -- the other was just as bad as the first two I sent back. SO back to the phone I went last night. Now I am having to send them both back again (even though I told him one was OK). I pointed out that instead of asking for "free" merchandise -- all I wanted was for them to send this next shipment "Next Day". They refused based on cost and will send them standard UPS once they see I have the bad ones sent back. I told them there was no sense in asking for free merchandise that run the same risk of showing up in used/damaged condition.

The batteries are in a plastic bag, packaged beautifully in foam all the way around it in a sturdy cardboard box. There is no way this damage is occurring in shipping. This is slack quality control on Autel's part. These batteries are being packaged this way during the manufacturing process. My battery that came with my drone was perfect and after seeing damage ranging from minimal to full-on with the ones I received yesterday -- there is no excuse for this.

So to be clear -- all Autel is doing in this situation, is attempting to get me product that is free from defect -- that is all. Not understanding why companies operate today thinking they can try a second, third or heaven forbid a fourth time to make something right that should have been right the first time. This will be the third time in a month Autel is shipping product to me.

View attachment 3595View attachment 3596
First two shipped.

View attachment 3599View attachment 3600View attachment 3601

My original EVO battery as compared to the first batteries sent. Batteries are turned up in some photos because I had to provide a photo of the serial numbers to Autel -- so I do realize they scratch easy and need no one pointing this out.

View attachment 3597View attachment 3598

Second shipment.

My fingers are crossed they can finally deliver -- but I am not going to hold my breath. I'd already be blue and dead at this point.

Lastly, I have attached a photo of the first unit I was given - if Best Buy would have been unable to locate the other drone -- I would have simply returned it and just walked away. Kind of wishing I would have done that now. When you pay a lot of money for something, it shouldn't be like this.

View attachment 3602View attachment 3603
Mine came with the circle logo and the box was all dusty and full of scratches. My Evo came flawless. Sadly it's full of scratches from insects crashing against my bird or he props hitting the top when in storage.

On another note, care to share those Kitkats? :D

The finish they put on there make the batteries scratch instantly. I had the same situation as you with the on the go bundle had a battery that was scratched. (now all 3 are scratched from rubbing against each other) I do not care their support is great they have always helped me and all of the batteries seem to be working fine. Just make sure you use the app and check your cells.

Mine came with the circle logo and the box was all dusty and full of scratches. My Evo came flawless. Sadly it's full of scratches from insects crashing against my bird or he props hitting the top when in storage.

On another note, care to share those Kitkats? :D

Sure! Here you go!

I buy stuff like this after the holiday on sale -- and spend until the next major holiday eating it up. That is usually Valentines, which has come and gone. Was no need to get anything then, as you can see. I have Reeses's too!

OMG - Now I'm singing the theme song which goes so good with this "topic" right now -- ... lah lah lah - give me a break -- give me a break...

Reactions: Ansia
A hello to Autel EVO Pilots.
I bought an EVO, which I received on February 6th.
Small problems that I was simple to solve with the customer service .. But after several email and discussion with them I am always at the same point.
First observation, on the remote there is no LED on the button on / off.
Secondly the application Autel Explorer mode EXP setup crash the application. The celluary that I used in a Galaxy Neo s5.
And thirdly other little problems with fore / aft controls.
Finally I thought, he will replace the controller!
Well No, after several email and proof of purchase and all the blah..bla. He told me to replace my cellphone for a more modern version. So I replace it with a Galaxy Note 9 same price as the EVO. Always the same problem with the Autel Explorer application. I have installed the firware twice. to solve the problems without any improvement. Returned another email to explain that I did my homework. No answers from them. So I think their after sales service is a case of email baking!
This is very bad for them, because the product looks very good but I think there is a lack of follow-up or professional in their business.
MD Automation
(Canada)

Small problems that I was simple to solve with the customer service .. But after several email and discussion with them I am always at the same point.
Secondly the application Autel Explorer mode EXP setup crash the application. The celluary that I used in a Galaxy Neo s5.
Well No, after several email and proof of purchase and all the blah..bla. He told me to replace my cellphone for a more modern version. So I replace it with a Galaxy Note 9 same price as the EVO. Always the same problem with the Autel Explorer application. I have installed the firware twice. to solve the problems without any improvement. Returned another email to explain that I did my homework. No answers from them. So I think their after sales service is a case of email baking!
This is very bad for them, because the product looks very good but I think there is a lack of follow-up or professional in their business.
MD Automation
(Canada)
MD Automation
(Canada)
You dont have to buy a new phone, get a used one. What version of Android is your phone running? I have Samsung Galaxy s5, its 4 years old and it works great.

MD Automation
(Canada)
Hi and welcome. Did you try this?

Solve crashes by rebooting to safe mode

Reactions: MD Automation
I sent mind back 3 weeks ago for a busted RC fan (purchased new, happened within 2 days). They insist I send the whole drone back for repair even though they could have just replaced the RC.

Very dissatisfied customer (perhaps their first?)

D** OTOH have been stepping up their game -
Either way I'm starting to regret my purchase.

I sent mind back 3 weeks ago for a busted RC fan (purchased new, happened within 2 days). They insist I send the whole drone back for repair even though they could have just replaced the RC.

It's unfortunate that you had this fault but Autel seem to have responded properly to you. It's obviously not an endemic fault or yours would not have been the first report of it that I've read. There are a couple of recurring quality control issues (pins, feet, hairline cracks) but not very many reports of them so possibly caused by the way people handle their drone. We haven't seen the major problems suffered by owners of some other makes, such as drones falling out of the sky, so Autel look to be among the best for reliability and QC. That said, I don't know the ratios and the percentage of DJI faults may not be as high as the noise suggests.

DJI of course have been customer-unfriendly for years so it will take a lot more than a brief flurry of good behaviour to convince anyone that their ethos has changed. It may be a sign that they have been losing business to Autel and I hope they keep it up.

I hope you get your EVO back soon, fit and healthy. Mine's a keeper for sure.

You dont have to buy a new phone, get a used one. What version of Android is your phone running? I have Samsung Galaxy s5, its 4 years old and it works great.
My cell phone. is a Galaxy S5 Neo and he works on Android ver.7.0. I must say that on my S5 I have never had any app problems
And now I have a brand new Galaxy Note 9. And same problems with Autel Explorer App's

My cell phone. is a Galaxy S5 Neo and he works on Android ver.7.0. I must say that on my S5 I have never had any app problems
And now I have a brand new Galaxy Note 9. And same problems with Autel Explorer App's
I never have issue with the app. I use a cheap BLU phone that I bought exclusively for the Autel and works great.

Reactions: Madhungarian

I will NEVER buy a DJI product I am sorry your controller fan broke, mine was the pins but they fixed it and sent it back the same day! The whole process tool like a week for me and the controller works great. DJI and their lawyers have really messed up a good product with their Geofencing\NFZ and forced updates. I really get a kick out of people trying to reassure themselves when they realize they have made a mistake. (not all of them) I also like how they argue with you about "sooner or later Autel will implement this as well" well, I have been thinking about this and I really dont think this is going to happen anytime soon. If this is the case how will hobbyist with 6s custom 3d printed quads with all custom parts have those goefencing/nfz parameters in place? Custom quads can fly just as far and high(some even more) than our Cadillac's/Bmw's can do... Have a great day.

Last edited:
I will NEVER buy a DJI product I am sorry your controller fan broke, mine was the pins but they fixed it and sent it back the same day! The whole process tool like a week for me and the controller works great. DJI and their lawyers have really messed up a good product with their Geofencing\NFZ and forced updates. I really get a kick out of people trying to reassure themselves when they realize they have made a mistake. (not all of them) I also like how they argue with you about "sooner or later Autel will implement this as well" well, I have been thinking about this and I really dont think this is going to happen anytime soon. If this is the case how will hobbyist with 6s custom 3d printed quads with all custom parts have those goefencing/nfz parameters in place? Custom quads can fly just as far and high(some even more) than our Cadillac's/Bmw's can do... Have a great day.

You might think this is not coming but trust me they are tightening the rope pretty fast. They are giving a lot of power to LEO's to stop and ask you questions. You fail to answer those questions or they find you doing something you are not suppose to be doing it could be very bad for you.
One of our older members sits on the FAA boards and his wife deals with the people who break the laws. He says you don't want to be on court as it will cost you big time but his wife is happy to take your case :)

Join the Webinar to get informed.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d