Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Practice/Indoor drone

donaldN

Reaction score
I am looking for recomendation on a small quadcopter to use indoors. I live in Wisconsin and it's been below zero for the last week, so I don' get the oportunity to fly my XSP as much as I would like in the winter. I have often heard you should get a small cheap quadcopter to fly indoors to practice and keep up your flying skills. Any recomendations? Looking for somthing that would emulate the XSP closely so the controls and flying would resemble the XSP. I thought this would be more helpful tha just getting any cheap quad and just be learning to fly a second quad.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Don

Hi Don, Any of the less expensive, smaller drones will work, but they won't provide as good of a 'learning experience' as a full-sized semi-pro drone will. Also, you'll actually find that a full-sized, pro drone is easier to fly and control than a cheaper drone. The only problem with flying a full-sized drone is that, if you have an accident, it might be more expensive to repair. So, if you fly inside, put prop protectors on the drone. Then, everything you learn will be things that will benefit you as you fly your Autel drone.

Assuming you want an indoor drone without GPS, it is going to be very different than flying an XSP. Even if it has altitude hold, it will still drift and will not be as stable. However, I think that if you find a good micro drone without altitude hold you will have a lot of fun flying it. I bought a little Blue Sky Skyline NanoHawk from Menards for $9.99 and it was more fun than flying a GPS drone because it was more manual: it didn't have altitude hold or GPS. It is also good for practicing in case your GPS goes out and you are forced to control your XSP manually.

Recommendations: Cheerson CX-10, Syma X12 or X11, Hubsan Q4. All of those drones are around $20.

The little Syma x21 with altitude hold is pretty good, but make sure you get extra batteries because they only fly for 5-minutes.

Reactions: KentA
Thanks for the responses. I am currently looking at the Syma X5C-1. Larger than a nano, but still small enough for indoors? I found a nice package on Amazon sold by Potensic. Quad, extra batteries, prop guards, spare blades, multi charger, case (I love a good case), and more for $60. I think it's a good deal. Any one heard of this company/vendor?
Don

image.jpg I guess it depends how high your cielng is, and how big your house is? I don't know how big that drone is, but if too big you won't be happy. I've had a few indoor drones, and I really like the altitude hold thats why I recommended the xs21.

Reactions: KentA and Squirrel!
xspwhite, I live in an older Victorian house, 10ft ceilings and large rooms. I looked at the x21, but it looked so small I wondered if it felt like you were flying a drone? I thought the X5C-1 was larger but not too large. I also watched some videos of people flying them indoors and it looks doable, I think!

Last edited:
Reactions: KentA
Hi floydspain, the $60 model I was looking at is the X5C-1 but is a package deal that has alot more acessories, plus 4 batteries and a case. Thus the higher price tag. I like having a case for everything.

How in the hell did this drone NOT succeed?!?!?! It is my Mini Drones Momma!!!

P1180889.JPG

Last edited:
View attachment 1770 I recommended the xs21.
I went to buy the X21 & ended up ordering the Syma X22W mostly because of the battery style. It is scheduled to arrive before the temperature gets above 0 Fahrenheit.

After flight edit: Wow! This is a great indoor drone. It is very easy to fly, especially with the altitude control, & it delivers a clear picture to the smartphone. The features, high quality & price illustrates how far quad development has evolved.

Last edited:
I was afraid this would happen— it was so much winter fun flying the SYMA X22W in the house that I collected a couple more indoor drones.

The 2nd was a Sbego FQ777-124, a nano “pocket drone”. I found it to be tiny, nervous, & too fast for me to control in my little home. It was especially challenging since it regularly flew into dusty nooks that hadn’t been explored in years. Perhaps it will be more fun outdoors on a summer night since it is small, quick & bright.

Then today I received a “DROCON Scouter Foldable Mini” (also marketed as the “Holy Stone HS190”). Oh Yeah! This one is flyable. An excellent little drone that is about twice the size of the Sbego & half the size of the Syma. It can respond to gentle coaxing or dart where you direct it. Finally the flying space is relatively larger.

I recommend it as a cure for cabin fever.

Reactions: Squirrel!

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chen