Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

On April 6th, an event will take place called the GPS 2019 Week Rollover

Lol... This only affects old GPS devices. All drone GPS are a newer generation and don't suffer from this. @thomasr tried to explain this to me, but I didn't understand 1/16 of what he said. ?

Reactions: Madhungarian
Lol... This only affects old GPS devices. All drone GPS are a newer generation and don't suffer from this. @thomasr tried to explain this to me, but I didn't understand 1/16 of what he said. ?

It has to do with the signals transmitted -- There are multiple signals transmitted for multiple purposes. Civilian, Military, and Signal of Life (Pilots).

Some of these signals have been transmitted since GPS was put into operation. This original signals are referred to L or L1.

Newer signals have since been put online and are referred to as L2 -- and contain L1 information plus additional information.

The L1 signal and the equipment running on this signal has been in use for several years if not more. Basically, all boils down to age of the equipment and what it's capabilities are -- which in this case -- can't handle this upcoming calendar rollover. Like older computers couldn't handle the calendar rollover in 2000 without updating or replacing them.

Things like original GPS units (Garmin, TomTom) are the type of civilian devices that could be affected without the update.

New cell phones, cars with built in GPS, self driving cars, and drones manufactured in the last decade should for the most part be OK.

The military should have seen this coming and already taken care of their equipment.

The nail-biter is going to be GPS sensors used in Industrial settings everywhere (Airports, Telecommunications, Oil/Gas refineries, Nuclear/Electrical power plants, various pipelines, etc). As we know -- most companies do not worry about maintenance and upkeep on anything anymore.

So it will be interesting to so how this washes out. ?

Reactions: HiloHawaiian

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy