Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Obstacle Avoidance

Old Bama Dude

Reaction score
I was reading an article on the subject and learned there are multiple ways of doing it. Don't ask ask me to explain them all.
  • Stereo Vision
  • Ultrasonic (Sonar)
  • Time-of-Flight
  • Lidar
  • Infrared
  • Monocular Vision

I have my post avoidance set for Obstacle Avoidance :)

Last edited:
But if I understand it right as long the terrain doesn't rise sharply it will follow the earth contour... right ?
I thought it was only to help stabilize when hovering when about 12 feet of lower, in the daylight.

Sonar is what's on the bottom of our XSPs, plus a camera.

That's in case OBD lands in that lake near to the tree .. next time !
Sonar for depth ..Camera for the underwater photography !

(Sorry... OBD .. British Humour ! ;))

Cider Boy.

I think the standpoint module is mainly for overall stability and to help when no GPS signal is available, like when flying indoors in a large area. If you read the instruction manual, it tells about the starpoint module.
I would think it plays a part in autolanding, but whatever the case, I really like the way the XSP handles now....sooo much better.

Last edited:
The equipment on the bottom of your XSP won't avoid anything. To get familiar with it's function fly without your camera gimble assembly on. I do it all the time. In fact I love flying in manual. It's a blast. And without the camera it flies so much better. Try it. You'll love it.

The equipment on the bottom of your XSP won't avoid anything. To get familiar with it's function fly without your camera gimble assembly on. I do it all the time. In fact I love flying in manual. It's a blast. And without the camera it flies so much better. Try it. You'll love it.

There was an earlier discussion about this avoidance. Some reported it would prevent the drone from flying into the ground at a height of less than 9ft and at slow speeds. Yesterday I tested that flying up a gentle slope at 2-3ft off the ground and 2-3 mph forward speed. I never had to adjust the altitude. The drone remained the same distance from the ground thru an elevation change of about 20ft and a distance of 250ft.

Thanks to whoever is responsible for activating the sonar, I've been having a ball zipping around the yard about a foot off the ground.:D But.....beware of that unexpected tall grass!
Too tall.mp4

Last edited:
Did you see that flying bug I stirred up at the end?

Yes!!!! :)

I didn't try my uphill experience at any speed.

In your case I don't think the drone could have possibly saw the tall grass. But I am curious at what speed that function can react. I just hate to go out in my hayfield and experiment.....

Yes!!!! :)

I didn't try my uphill experience at any speed.

In your case I don't think the drone could have possibly saw the tall grass. But I am curious at what speed that function can react. I just hate to go out in my hayfield and experiment.....
Yeah, I shouldn't have gotten into that area with the tall grass/weeds.

That was funny and not so funny at the same time...the bug at the end was hilarious though, like he was taunting you that it doesn't happen to him.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials