Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Notice From Autel About Controllers and Compatibility in the Future

Last edited:
I couldn't find a reference to the chip issue on any of the reseller websites I checked. It looks like a conspiracy of silence to shift current stocks, notwithstanding the assurances given verbally to the few.

I couldn't find a reference to the chip issue on any of the reseller websites I checked. It looks like a conspiracy of silence to shift current stocks, notwithstanding the assurances given verbally to the few.

B&H has it as an answer to a consumer question. The rest may be boilerplate from Autel.

Reactions: YuKay
Looks like after all the contributions to this thread, my Smart Controller, one of 500, will arrive tomorrow (My Daughter's Wedding Day):
View attachment 10896
Finally, times two. :)
congrats on getting one. I have a lot of junk but I can honestly say after using this sc pretty much every day since I got it, I believe it is one of the finest purchases I've made since over a year ago when the pandemic started. I sure could have used the sc last summer when I had entire parks to myself with practically no one outdoors for much of the day around here. I am absolutely loving this device; mission planning is so awesome!

congrats on getting one. I have a lot of junk but I can honestly say after using this sc pretty much every day since I got it, I believe it is one of the finest purchases I've made since over a year ago when the pandemic started. I sure could have used the sc last summer when I had entire parks to myself with practically no one outdoors for much of the day around here. I am absolutely loving this device; mission planning is so awesome!
Thank you. Sounds great; glad you're enjoying it - especially as we're starting to clear this pandemic and realizing some semblance of normalcy.

I'll be happy to get the extra range, faster set up, and bright screen. My goal is to enjoy flying and take scenic photos - especially after retirement in the near future; have to add some nice photos to the walls of the new house and my Autel Evo II Pro should rise to the occasion competently.

Did I need this? No. But I worked hard to earn the luxury, so why not. :D

That's not the only problem.

First of all, even giving Randall the benefit of the doubt as the "new guy" at Autel Robotics, his company's reputation for long-term product support is less-than-wonderful. Read through the fora for X-Star Premium and EVO I if you don't know what I mean.

We're talking about devices that cost more than twice what I paid for some cars I've owned. Yet in the case of X-Star Premium (with EVO I close behind), they've become expensive paperweights due to AR's refusal to provide ongoing support.

AR's refusal to provide batteries is particularly offensive both because it's the only part whose lifetime is known to be limited under normal use, and because there exists a relatively easy solution: Either license the logic tech to Some Other Company so they can make aftermarket battery clones, or just open-source it altogether and let anyone make them.

AR's refusal to use either option to support their product and customers is reprehensible. In view of a history of that sort of recent-past product non-support, how much credibility should I, as an EVO II owner, give to Randall's vague assurances regarding EVO II?

I can't even rightly call his assurances "promises" because Randall has a gift for using many words to say nothing. My impression thus far is that he's more suited for a career in politics than as CEO of a tech company, where specificity is everything.

Randall could, of course, change my mind. All he has to do is start manufacturing batteries for past AR drone models (or enable other companies to manufacture aftermarket ones). If he refuses to do so, or if he lacks the authority to do so, then please explain why I should view his vague assurances regarding EVO II as having any credibility whatsoever?

The other problem has to do with reasonable expectations: and this may be where Autel Robotics suffers more than damage to their reputation.

People who purchased the EVO II with the assumption, based on the company's own marketing materials, that the Smart Controller was "coming soon," had a reasonable expectation that the product would actually exist in sufficient quantities for anyone who wanted one to obtain one. If that turns out to be false, it constitutes a material misrepresentation in AR's marketing.

One might excuse that as unintentional were it not for the fact that AR's official site is still marketing both the EVO II and the SC, with no mention of the future incompatibilities, nor any mention that the SC is basically vaporware as far as new EVO II buyers are concerned, and with the promise that future aircraft will also be supported by the SC.

I hate to say it, but I'm starting to think a class-action suit is inevitable. The company is still materially misrepresenting its products and making promises that even Randall admits they can't keep. Customers who buy an EVO II today based on information on AR's own Web site are being defrauded, plain and simple.

Randall may not be authorized to start building batteries for older drones, but one would think he can authorize a change of wording on a Web site to remove a material misrepresentation.

So please forgive me if I hesitate to place my faith in Randal's many words and scant substance. I do hope he proves my hesitancy to be unwarranted, but that hope is waning.
I agree with you and would if there is a class action suite I would be interested because I have put alot of money in my equipment in a very short period of time. Also with the new laws that came in effect on 4/10 21. That manufacturer will have to let u repair minor things, I still have to read the wording, also I hope we can force them to sell us repair parts for everything. Plus a detailed sheets with exploded diagrams and a schmatic sheet diagrams .Is there a way to find out the actual number of units sold just in the states. I can't believe that they made only 500 for north America.so lt must take the person two days or so to assemble each unit.mabye

Reactions: YuKay and mshmovie
I agree with you and would if there is a class action suite I would be interested because I have put alot of money in my equipment in a very short period of time. Also with the new laws that came in effect on 4/10 21. That manufacturer will have to let u repair minor things, I still have to read the wording, also I hope we can force them to sell us repair parts for everything. Plus a detailed sheets with exploded diagrams and a schmatic sheet diagrams .Is there a way to find out the actual number of units sold just in the states. I can't believe that they made only 500 for north America.so lt must take the person two days or so to assemble each unit.mabye
Well, Randall did make a promise since I wrote that post stating that if anyone bought the V1 SC and later bought a V2 or later product, the new SC would be on him. That's about the best he can do in that regard.

As for the rest, I won't be the one to file a class-action suit. It costs too much in terms of serenity. Besides, the way they usually work out is that the lawyers get millions and the class members get mouse pads.

I certainly think it's actionable, though. Autel never put any kind of notice on their site to warn potential buyers of the incompatibility or the limited availability of V1 SC's. That has to be actionable.

I mean, I got four cans of Red Bull in the mail because some dude sued the company because the drink didn't really give him wings. It became a class-action, and somehow I became a class member. I guess they must have gleaned it from a POS terminal. If a lawsuit over not getting wings from an energy drink is actionable, then this certainly must be.

But I won't be the guy that files. I just can't be bothered. I'm too old and tired.

What law are you referring to?

Last edited:
Reactions: YuKay
Well, Randall did make a promise since I wrote that post stating that if anyone bought the V1 SC and later bought a V2 or later project, the new SC would be on him. That's about the best he can do in that regard.

As for the rest, I won't be the one to file a class-action suit. It costs too much in terms of serenity. Besides, the way they usually work out is that the lawyers get millions and the class members get mouse pads.

I certainly think it's actionable, though. Autel never put any kind of notice on their site to warn potential buyers of the incompatibility or the limited availability of V1 SC's. That has to be actionable.

I mean, I got four cans of Red Bull in the mail because some dude sued the company because the drink didn't really give him wings. It became a class-action, and somehow I became a class member. I guess they must have gleaned it from a POS terminal. If a lawsuit over not getting wings from an energy drink is actionable, then this certainly must be.

But I won't be the guy that files. I just can't be bothered. I'm too old and tired.

What law are you referring to?
he is talking about the right to repair law.

Reactions: GeekOnTheWing
minor repairs on a drone. you can do that right now with autel evo2 they sell spare parts on aliexpress legs arms motor , airframe etc. the only real differnce with V1/V2 is transmission chipset and how many times has those things broken. im guessing not alot.

Reactions: PingSpike
Remarkable weekend response from Randall Warnas, Autel Robotics' CEO, to a Smart Controller Support email he was CC'ed on: (This should raise people's comfort level as to the intent to support the customer base.)

I have an interesting thing to share.

My Smart Controller was delivered with what I thought were three minor defects, now four:
  1. scratch in the rubber bezel on lower right
  2. abrasion on the rubber bezel on the upper left
  3. the screen protector was not adhering to the screen
  4. there are no connection points for the chest harness on the front bracket; just a place for accepting screws.
    1. I thought it was awkward when I connected the chest harness, watched Ken's (Original DoBo's) video comparing DJI and Autel's smart controllers and noticed it had these connection points mine lacked.
This morning I sent an email with photos to support with a CC to Randall for the first three points; yesterday was my Daughter's wedding (it was thankfully better than the smart controller for me, certainly not you :D ...).

I got a very understanding response back from Randall assuring me support will take care of this:
1626042120724.png

So if anyone is concerned about whether Randall is all words (I've read this sentiment on the forum a few times and understand the concerns) or is backing up his intent with actions, here you go. While no company or product launch is perfect, I found this is very comforting to me and I felt compelled to share. This is the way to run a business.

Last edited:
Remarkable weekend response from Randall Warnas, Autel Robotics' CEO, to a Smart Controller Support email he was CC'ed on: (This should raise people's comfort level as to the intent to support the customer base.)

I have an interesting thing to share.

My Smart Controller was delivered with what I thought were three minor defects, now four:
  1. scratch in the rubber bezel on lower right
  2. abrasion on the rubber bezel on the upper left
  3. the screen protector was not adhering to the screen
  4. there are no connection points for the chest harness on the front bracket; just a place for accepting screws.
    1. I thought it was awkward when I connected the chest harness, watched Ken's (Original DoBo's) video comparing DJI and Autel's smart controllers and noticed it had these connection points mine lacked.
This morning I sent an email with photos to support with a CC to Randall for the first three points; yesterday was my Daughter's wedding (it was thankfully better than the smart controller for me, certainly not you :D ...).

I got a very understanding response back from Randall assuring me support will take care of this:
View attachment 10911

So if anyone is concerned about whether Randall is all words (I've read this sentiment on the forum a few times and understand the concerns) or is backing up his intent with actions, here you go. While no company or product launch is perfect, I found this is very comforting to me and I felt compelled to share. This is the way to run a business.
looks like there are two different handles. I have the same one you have which is screw the sticks underneath, no hook points on the top. I prefer this one and would not service my sc based on this alone (I understand you have other issues as well).

looks like there are two different handles. I have the same one you have which is screw the sticks underneath, no hook points on the top. I prefer this one and would not service my sc based on this alone (I understand you have other issues as well).
That's interesting, thanks; I didn't consider the holes as potential places to store the control sticks.

This is Ken's (OrignaDoBo's) stand with the chest strap mounts:
1626046218210.png

Mine:
1626046239550.png
1626046267413.png

Would be nice to have both places to stash the sticks and loops to clip the chest straps to.

I'll update the thread if I learn anything new.

• Wow
Reactions: PingSpike
That's interesting, thanks; I didn't consider the holes as potential places to store the control sticks.

This is Ken's (OrignaDoBo's) stand with the chest strap mounts:
View attachment 10912

Mine:
View attachment 10913
View attachment 10914

Would be nice to have both places to stash the sticks and loops to clip the chest straps to.

I'll update the thread if I learn anything new.
I have the same one also. When I saw DoBo's review I figured he had a pre release model or something.

Reactions: mshmovie
I have the same one also. When I saw DoBo's review I figured he had a pre release model or something.
I'm sure the reason there are two different brackets, that we know of so far, will come out in the next day or so; certainly my interaction with support should help us discover why.

I would think both features could be supported on one bracket; I've drilled and tapped holes using Dubro drill & tap sets for years. Doing so with machining equipment should be fairly trivial; loops on the front, tapped holes on the rear to stash the sticks (a smart controller mullet - sorry, I couldn't resist).

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmanvm