Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Notice From Autel About Controllers and Compatibility in the Future

@UasDriver raises an interesting question though, around using the Smart Controller without an app.

It doesn't actually need an app ?
we've only seen a few pics of the sc but it shows what appears to be the explorer app running. like all sc when the app crashes, the device doesn't stop working...you can still control the aircrafts (i.e. doesn't automatically disconnect)....or at least it shouldn't.

Does the Smart Contoller even run the Explorer app? ?‍♂️

It technically doesn't need to, right?
My personal opinion:
From what i have seen in the YouTube video, it seems Android based thus you can update using Google play store or by apk sideload,

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-06-13-20-06-22-141_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-06-13-20-06-22-141_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 12
I feel your comment, not just understand it. I dropped $2k on the E2Pro Rugged & accessories and another $1.2k on the controller in the hopes it will have longevity for the future Evo III, the Mini 2 competitor and whatever else Autel would make that would be a joy to fly; I'm a couple of years away from retirement and I will fly regularly - this is for fun and a distraction from a massively complicated engineering job.

Promising a feature that works with what is and what will be and then fragmenting the space and withdrawing the feature, on top of the presales (and taking money which is nuts - my card was not charged by B&H), is unforgivable.

There have been global chip shortages before and they passed. This will pass and there will be chip shortages in the future.

First and foremost, you need to take care of the customer. Not allowing you to realize your CapEx by making a stupid decision is unforgivable; that is the stuff that drives consumers to new vendors. DJI could probably get away with this, but they've not done something quite this dumb (they have a few minor smart controller issues - but not at this level - e.g., no support of the mini 2).

I strongly suggest you write [email protected], everyone should, and bury them in an avalanche of market feedback on the stupidity and impact of their decision.
I sent this to the CEO and the support link. This is truly unforgivable. If they don’t rectify this I’m stuck with several grand of lame duck tech.

I purchased the E2P 6k bundle and a multitude of accessories along with insurance from Autel/Advexure to start my online business. I was very excited for the smart controller but now I feel I’ve been duped out of a few thousand dollars. A shortage of chips means either I don’t get my preorder filled OR it gets filled but due to non compatibility with 2.0 it’s obsolete before it arrives. Who made such a poor decision and why are they still employed? Business is reliant on a satisfied customer who remains loyal to the brand. This ensures future revenue and growth for the business for small business and large corporations alike. When customers feel disregarded and misled or deceived, the distrust that builds will send them into the arms of a company that offers the opposite. If Autel doesn’t rectify this egregious problem, my few thousand will only be a drop in the bucket of what the company and shareholders lose.

@UasDriver raises an interesting question though, around using the Smart Controller without an app.

It doesn't actually need an app ?
Should it ever be delivered, the Smart Controller has to have at minimum at least the same functionality as a $200 phone or tablet connected to the Standard Controller. It's Android, it uses an Android SOC chip (Exynos 8895), it needs to be upgradeable whenever the Android Explorer phone app gets an upgrade. Ergo, it is about 99.44% likely to run a non-bespoke version Explorer. (There are any number of functions in the firmware than can only be accessed via Explorer. Why would you want a device that wouldn't/couldn't set EXP curves, for instance?) That said, Autel has the keys to the castle, and if they wanted to, could provide custom Android v.8 Explorer builds for anyone who wanted to pony up.

Should it ever be delivered, the Smart Controller has to have at minimum at least the same functionality as a $200 phone or tablet connected to the Standard Controller. It's Android, it uses an Android SOC chip (Exynos 8895), it needs to be upgradeable whenever the Android Explorer phone app gets an upgrade. Ergo, it is about 99.44% likely to run a non-bespoke version Explorer. (There are any number of functions in the firmware than can only be accessed via Explorer. Why would you want a device that wouldn't/couldn't set EXP curves, for instance?) That said, Autel has the keys to the castle, and if they wanted to, could provide custom Android v.8 Explorer builds for anyone who wanted to pony up.

Oh .. so, with the SC we can’t setup the Exp curves, gimbal or others settings? We don’t have the exact functions as the regular RC ? [emoji848]

Lets hope there is some movement this week. at least Autel can keep us updated on when SCV1 wILL be shipped. its not like they haven't been in production for some time

Oh .. so, with the SC we can’t setup the Exp curves, gimbal or others settings? We don’t have the exact functions as the regular RC ? [emoji848]
Read it again. I said that the Smart Controller has to have as much function as the Standard one attached to a device running Explorer. There are limited functions and settings to using the Standard Controller alone (the controller everyone has been flying with so far); an attached device running Explorer is required to access many of the Advanced settings and Intelligent Modes. It's worlds easier for Autel to ship a new Smart Controller that uses a common version of Android Explorer

Last edited:
I sent this to the CEO and the support link. This is truly unforgivable. If they don’t rectify this I’m stuck with several grand of lame duck tech.

I purchased the E2P 6k bundle and a multitude of accessories along with insurance from Autel/Advexure to start my online business. I was very excited for the smart controller but now I feel I’ve been duped out of a few thousand dollars. A shortage of chips means either I don’t get my preorder filled OR it gets filled but due to non compatibility with 2.0 it’s obsolete before it arrives. Who made such a poor decision and why are they still employed? Business is reliant on a satisfied customer who remains loyal to the brand. This ensures future revenue and growth for the business for small business and large corporations alike. When customers feel disregarded and misled or deceived, the distrust that builds will send them into the arms of a company that offers the opposite. If Autel doesn’t rectify this egregious problem, my few thousand will only be a drop in the bucket of what the company and shareholders lose.
Many here are in the same situation and Randall Warnass, Autel Robotics' CEO, did read this thread (he's user AutelCEO).

I hope there's more info to come that satisfies everyone Otherwise, Skydio will be the remaining domestic US manufacturer (they truly manufacturer in California) with two offerings; the Skydio 2's obstacle avoidance is all it has that's superior to Autel and the X2 costs serious $ (they need a better camera, run time and radio priced somewhere between the two).

Your may want to keep your options open as we wait for more info from Autel (provided that's not a prohibitive thing to do).

Regards,
Marc

Many here are in the same situation and Randall Warnass, Autel Robotics' CEO, did read this thread (he's user AutelCEO).

I hope there's more info to come that satisfies everyone Otherwise, Skydio will be the remaining domestic US manufacturer (they truly manufacturer in California) with two offerings; the Skydio 2's obstacle avoidance is all it has that's superior to Autel and the X2 costs serious $ (they need a better camera, run time and radio priced somewhere between the two).

Your may want to keep your options open as we wait for more info from Autel (provided that's not a prohibitive thing to do).

Regards,
Marc
unfortunately skydio just raised their prices by a ton and those who are "thinking" about something else are already too late. I waited more than year to get the s2 and I have no complaints with the performance. yes it was only $100 refundable deposit and since I was in phase 2, other new pilots got a chance to work out the bugs and do the reviews. at this point, skydio is never going to be a option for consumer drone market in the usa as an american drone company; I don't think that is their goal or their focus or that they even want to compete with the likes of dji and autel at the consumer level. still, I would say if you want to look at another drone besides dji, take a look at the skydio2 it's actually pretty decent.

unfortunately skydio just raised their prices by a ton and those who are "thinking" about something else are already too late. I waited more than year to get the s2 and I have no complaints with the performance. yes it was only $100 refundable deposit and since I was in phase 2, other new pilots got a chance to work out the bugs and do the reviews. at this point, skydio is never going to be a option for consumer drone market in the usa as an american drone company; I don't think that is their goal or their focus or that they even want to compete with the likes of dji and autel at the consumer level. still, I would say if you want to look at another drone besides dji, take a look at the skydio2 it's actually pretty decent.
Skydio would need to scale up their ability to produce and likely be a SKU where you buy any other drone. Delivery is too slow now which must lose them sales. Improve the camera, flight time, radio and they can be more than the brilliant track and avoid drone no one else matches.

I enjoy my S2, but it's not the one I go to first.

I would never bet against them, their technology is phenomenal (provided you're looking to fly that niche).

Reactions: kenautelevo2pro
yeah sometimes I feel like I don't use the s2 enough. it's practically still new and I really haven't put it to the test except maybe 3 times in the past year.

Reactions: mshmovie
... another test for Autel, one of my EVO 2 has failed, the video signal no longer reaches neither the controller nor the connected tablet. It had no shocks, no accidents, purchased two months ago on Amazon immediately gave some video transmission problems that were solved by restarting the controller and the aircraft, now the defect is permanent. I had bought two Evo with spare parts and accessories in view of the purchase of the SC, I need them for my work. I made a complaint to both Amazon and Autel by sending photos and videos, they replied to wait for the response from the technicians ... I wait and if the second disappointment arrives I will surely sell them all for 2 cents ...

... another test for Autel, one of my EVO 2 has failed, the video signal no longer reaches neither the controller nor the connected tablet. It had no shocks, no accidents, purchased two months ago on Amazon immediately gave some video transmission problems that were solved by restarting the controller and the aircraft, now the defect is permanent. I had bought two Evo with spare parts and accessories in view of the purchase of the SC, I need them for my work. I made a complaint to both Amazon and Autel by sending photos and videos, they replied to wait for the response from the technicians ... I wait and if the second disappointment arrives I will surely sell them all for 2 cents ...
I hope it works out as I would anticipate that it's covered by the warranty; it's practically new. Please update the group.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SycamoreGroves