Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Notice From Autel About Controllers and Compatibility in the Future

Otherwise, Skydio will be the remaining domestic US manufacturer (they truly manufacturer in California)
My understanding is that nothing is manufactured in CA, just screw driver assembled.

I’m sure I’m not going to make any friends with this but, I see so much anger/rage in this thread including ridiculous posts saying that Autel just bricked their drones. That’s crazy to me.

When I got the news I put in an order for 3 SC’s because I want them for my setups. I currently run 2 Duals and a Pro. IMO this is just another tool to enhance the products I currently use.

I’m an Audio Visual Engineer by trade and have worked with commercial electronics for the last 20+ years primarily with the federal government and military. Forwards compatibility is more of a dream than a reality and just the way it goes more often than not. I’m excited that Autel was able to put out at least a small batch of these and can’t wait to get my hands on them. No company is perfect but I do believe that they’re doing the best they can.

The new CEO was only in the seat for a few days when the letter went out. My guess is that this was probably determined before his first day. Cut the guy some slack, dial back the hate, and give a company that has created some industry leading products a chance.

My understanding is that nothing is manufactured in CA, just screw driver assembled.

I’m sure I’m not going to make any friends with this but, I see so much anger/rage in this thread including ridiculous posts saying that Autel just bricked their drones. That’s crazy to me.

When I got the news I put in an order for 3 SC’s because I want them for my setups. I currently run 2 Duals and a Pro. IMO this is just another tool to enhance the products I currently use.

I’m an Audio Visual Engineer by trade and have worked with commercial electronics for the last 20+ years primarily with the federal government and military. Forwards compatibility is more of a dream than a reality and just the way it goes more often than not. I’m excited that Autel was able to put out at least a small batch of these and can’t wait to get my hands on them. No company is perfect but I do believe that they’re doing the best they can.

The new CEO was only in the seat for a few days when the letter went out. My guess is that this was probably determined before his first day. Cut the guy some slack, dial back the hate, and give a company that has created some industry leading products a chance.
Very well put. It is nice to have some positive thought being posted. Thank you.

Reactions: Lexicon

100%! I have worked in the pro video business my entire adult life.

I have written before that when I have purchase pro video gear, I buy every accessory I think I will ever need. Once a given camera (for example) is upgraded, changed, discontinued...all the accessories go the same way. This doesn't make that camera worthless or a "brick". It still does everything it did when it was new.

To the contrary, with the exception of the Live Deck and SC...Autel has told us that all other accessories and updates will apply equally to both V1 & V2 aircraft.

100%! I have worked in the pro video business my entire adult life.

I have written before that when I have purchase pro video gear, I buy every accessory I think I will ever need. Once a given camera (for example) is upgraded, changed, discontinued...all the accessories go the same way. This doesn't make that camera worthless or a "brick". It still does everything it did when it was new.

To the contrary, with the exception of the Live Deck and SC...Autel has told us that all other accessories and updates will apply equally to both V1 & V2 aircraft.
take a look at the GoPro cameras. I currently have an 8 and a 9 and started buying these little cameras way back when....prob the 3's. frames, mounts, batteries, remotes, charging docks, lens, etc all types of accessories. maybe it's because these cameras are under $500 that they don't "count" but unless it's a standard GoPro mount, the accessory is not likely to fit the next camera. just go to GoPro.com and every single accessory lists which camera is it compatible with because it is hit or miss. I think there was a little complaining at first (years ago) but GoPro set the tone early on which is "don't count on it." even some of the bluetooth stuff is not compatible....yet the older GoPro camera still take pictures and videos and are not bricked but is certainly abandoned with no sw updates, etc.

perhaps autel won't create a v2 livedeck and the v1 livedeck will be a prize for those of us "stuck" on v1.

take a look at the GoPro cameras. I currently have an 8 and a 9 and started buying these little cameras way back when....prob the 3's. frames, mounts, batteries, remotes, charging docks, lens, etc all types of accessories. maybe it's because these cameras are under $500 that they don't "count" but unless it's a standard GoPro mount, the accessory is not likely to fit the next camera. just go to GoPro.com and every single accessory lists which camera is it compatible with because it is hit or miss. I think there was a little complaining at first (years ago) but GoPro set the tone early on which is "don't count on it." even some of the bluetooth stuff is not compatible....yet the older GoPro camera still take pictures and videos and are not bricked but is certainly abandoned with no sw updates, etc.

perhaps autel won't create a v2 livedeck and the v1 livedeck will be a prize for those of us "stuck" on v1.
GoPro gave me a free Waterproof case to accommodate the backpack accessory for my GP3Black when it was supposed to come with it and did not; they stood up for what was supposed to be delivered. It still survived a whitewater river boarding trip where I inadvertently had it in the skeleton case and went through a huge wave (Vesuvius on the Sacandaga new Saratoga, NY). That was the way to handle making good on a promise. We'll see how this proceeds.

1623775127142.png

Reactions: kenautelevo2pro
I'm only speaking for myself but surely there are a lot of others that look at this as I do. Unlike the pros that buy new electronics as soon as they come out, I wait until the bugs are out and the price comes down before I buy. Way too often by then the things are almost obsolete. As with the XStar not having any batteries available. I do have the Autel EVO 2 but I don't know how long batteries will be available. About all my electronics are several years old including cameras, computers and diagnosis equipment, etc but they stilll do everything I want to do. In my opinion the XStar has just as good a video camera as most of the newer drones and I still use it quite often.

So I'm just wondering if Autel's drone department can survive if the hobbyist all drop off. I'm sure there are more of us than the pros but that's just my opinion.

Well I must admit it was good to get 3 email replies from the CEO who I wrote to. His latest email to me said:

"Apologies that I am not right on top of this, but I spent all day Thursday and Friday in one-on-ones with my new team. The v2 version of the Smart Controller will only have a different chipset in it that will allow it to communicate with v2 Evos. We are committed to positive customer experiences. DJI makes great technology but this is not unlike scenarios which have bogged them down in the past. The big difference is my commitment to do right by you. If you are having second thoughts on working with Autel, I back you for knowing what's best for you. However, we will not leave you high and dry unhappy with your investment in us. The Smart Controller will change the game, and the v2 version will only have a different language, not feature set. "

In terms of time it's anyone's guess, keeping my fingers crossed for end of June and it is just a few weeks away!

Huh... I wrote Randall a nice email and didn't get any reply at all. Y'all are lucky. :D

GoPro gave me a free Waterproof case to accommodate the backpack accessory for my GP3Black when it was supposed to come with it and did not; they stood up for what was supposed to be delivered. It still survived a whitewater river boarding trip where I inadvertently had it in the skeleton case and went through a huge wave (Vesuvius on the Sacandaga new Saratoga, NY). That was the way to handle making good on a promise. We'll see how this proceeds.

View attachment 10676
that's good to know. a lot of people think GoPro is an awful awful company and yet they do things to help their customers from time to time. my guess is Autel ALSO will go out of their way to keep us supported and happy with what we have and make sure we stay up and running. And most importantly, if something goes wrong, Autel won't leave you out in the cold and with no options. That's all we can ask for.

Well I must admit it was good to get 3 email replies from the CEO who I wrote to. His latest email to me said:

"Apologies that I am not right on top of this, but I spent all day Thursday and Friday in one-on-ones with my new team. The v2 version of the Smart Controller will only have a different chipset in it that will allow it to communicate with v2 Evos. We are committed to positive customer experiences. DJI makes great technology but this is not unlike scenarios which have bogged them down in the past. The big difference is my commitment to do right by you. If you are having second thoughts on working with Autel, I back you for knowing what's best for you. However, we will not leave you high and dry unhappy with your investment in us. The Smart Controller will change the game, and the v2 version will only have a different language, not feature set. "

In terms of time it's anyone's guess, keeping my fingers crossed for end of June and it is just a few weeks away!
this is a very good email and underneath, I hear positive tones about the v1 as well. I get the impression he is saying yeah it's v2 but don't worry about it, v1 is just as good. next 2 weeks I can't wait, I'm ready to get back to creating missions. :)

Huh... I wrote Randall a nice email and didn't get any reply at all. Y'all are lucky. :D
I sent email, tried calling and contacted via LinkedIn and nothing. When the volume is high, you have to address the spirit of the concerns expressed; Randall commented on this thread once - he's aware.

Randall sent me his response and I'm feeling a lot more comfortable. Please do give it a read.

AOh14GgFbTXEJaou5R9Fha2lPrkvAqJj7vRwljEEyPcE=s80

Randall Warnas​

2:26 PM (52 minutes ago)
to me

Hello Marc,

I first want to apologize for how long it took me to get back to you. Between a very heavy meeting schedule, I've tried to get through as many emails as possible, and I am glad I got to yours no later. Clearly the current situation is not ideal, and I can guarantee you this has nothing to do with short-term revenue gains. This is resolving something systemic within our supply chain for the future satisfaction of our customers, and the longevity of our products. I understand that the investment our customers have made into Autel, and have intended to make into the Smart Controller make the lack of future compatibility a real setback. We are working on a program where v1 Smart Controller owners will be able to trade it in for a discount on a future airframe not supported by the v1. The chip change was an inevitability, and doing the right thing by our customers started with being transparent about the change. I have done my best to open up dialogue and welcome feedback so we can reward our loyal customers who have taken a chance on us. Like you mentioned, the drone world has alternatives and DJI makes incredible technology. We still believe we can win on so many aspects in addition to quality technology. Although it appears we're doing something that negatively impacts our customers, we're doing it for the right reasons at the risk of people feeling alienated or disappointed. It's a difficult position to be in, but the only thing we can do is keep listening to our customers and make the future brighter.

I'm here for you if you want to share more. And I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to reach out!

--
Randall Warnas
CEO | Autel Robotics USA
[email protected]
autelrobotics.com

_AEAc-06xSKOTOFM4zxBq6B4MEPdYLuGhZ-RSMZq5aGblQcKWSRzk9asKNnoGZ0w6Eh08Lunwja6KGVJolxMoQYSU5hjFeWTETrbirw4TVtbMRNux_t0d3Eo7CUMKQdcztQrokKnL0eKhhWzR3QSaCU6iWE2Pnk=s0-d-e1-ft

22522 29th Dr SE, Suite 101
Bothell, WA 98021

My response to Randall:

Hi Randall,

Thank you.

I envisioned you sitting down at your new desk and inheriting this challenge; it's not unusual in technology and eking out a win is hard, essential and not a sure thing.

It sounds like you have given consideration to the needs of all involved, all anyone can hope for, and all anyone in the community of customers and resellers wants is for you to realize success. It feels like you're on track.

Again, thank you for your response in what has had to be an interesting couple of honeymoon weeks; it will make for interesting stories once you manage your way out of it.

Regards,
Marc Hollander

Last edited:
I know... I was kidding about the lucky thing. Randall actually replied to me as well. He seems like a good guy and I'm fine with things as they are. They suck, but I'm pretty confident I'll be taken care of.

Reactions: mshmovie
I know... I was kidding about the lucky thing. Randall actually replied to me as well. He seems like a good guy and I'm fine with things as they are. They suck, but I'm pretty confident I'll be taken care of.
100% Agree with your assessment. He inherited a challenge and intends to make it work out for the best for all involved; what else can you ask for?

As an exec, these are not your fantasy scenarios, they're the things you're happy to reflect on as successes in the future. I trust that will be in Randall's future after some management, pain & suffering.

wow, that's encouraging the hear from the ceo. imagine that, getting a discount on your next state-of-the-art autel next generation drone; that would be fantastic. I will take the v2 sc over waiting for a v1 sc any time; fingers-crossed.

Last edited:
Reactions: mshmovie
wow, that's encouraging the hear from the ceo. imagine that, getting a discount on your next state-of-the-art autel next generation drone; that would be fantastic. I will take the v1 sc over waiting for a v1 sc any time; fingers-crossed.
Bringing heart to your job, to what you do, matters a lot. 1623795659811.png

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kestrel