Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Notice From Autel About Controllers and Compatibility in the Future

Note to whom it may concern at Autel:

In the future I will either purchase alot of your products, or none at all. There will be no middle ground. Which path I choose depends upon YOUR actions and on their timeliness - I will no longer wait for "promises" that don't materialize or put up with planned obsolescence. The ball is in YOUR court. I'm only one small customer, but I think many more share this opinion.

i prefer to look at it from a positive point of view. mostly because we still have a great drone and it's the best on the market....despite the issues. don't get me wrong, this is nothing short of a disaster. but instead of looking at the big picture horror show, i'm going to focus on MY situation. i will keep my pre-order. yes it should be discounted because i am basically paying for obsolete technology that will hit a dead end; it's basically doa. it simply isn't worth $1200 but to me....it kinda is because when i fly, i will get $1200 worth from it today....regardless the v1/v2 roadmap. however, when i reach it's usefulness, i see two options: sell it for $2000 because there are fleets of v1 equipment on the market with scarce v1 availability. that's not a guarantee which leads me to option 2. autel should allow you to trade-in your equipment for v2 or autel3 upgrade for fair market value. pretty sure autel will be able to retrofit and/or they could turn around v1 equipment for warranty repair, etc.

like many others here, i've been part of the business and these things happen...more often than you think. back then, the situation was mostly out of your control because we were professional and at the top of our game.; we knew how to run a business and our life was centered around making the customers happy. can't say that for sure today because you never know what people are thinking, how long they knew about it, or even if they planned for issues. while there are still experts and professionals in the game, the entire chain is NOT, so there's that. i.e. not everybody cares anymore. too many factors to deal with so i guess that's the excuse. i choose to roll with this because in the end, i just fly and have fun. somebody will buy your v1 controller and your v1 drone and you will get a fair price and that's the situation whether there is a v2 or not. would it have been nice to keep using v1 sc for years and years to come? sure but for me, that's the only loss. in reality, i have a dji sc and it has a perpetual life but not so much. if it were to die today, i would bury it and move on. if o3 launches on the m3 and sc, googles, and nothing from the past works.....

my v1 drone has a warranty and so will my future v1 sc. i also have autel care. if something happens, why would i care how it gets fixed...as long as it gets fixed and that's on autel. agreed after one year, we have a problem. for me, i'm just going to be happy this happened now instead of later this year. believe me, we are lucky to be getting v1 sc which in many places would have been cancelled and you would be waiting until 2022 to get v2 sc or autel3. i think we all knew that all this fancy equipment would be worthless one day and unfortunately that day arrived sooner than later and without warning. love my livedeck but really how much did i use it? as long as i can donate it to someone who can use it, let the market decide. i take all of this back if the v2 arrives with double the range, a lower price, and a ton better performance. :)
I like most of what you say. The thing that angers me is Autel had to have known the chip-shortage was an issue yet continued to market the SC (with incorrect specifications stating compatibility with future products), collect PRE-ORDERS and MONEY from customers placing the orders in good faith that the specifications were correct, and promising shipping dates that were unattainable. This product is already supposed to be shipping and I've not heard of ONE customer, dealer, influencer or any other person that has even a demo unit in their possession. I intended to make the transition from hobbyist to commercial pilot with Autel's SUPPORT and guidance. I chose to purchase Autel products with the knowledge that they have a smaller market share and at times brilliant products. But the misleading information provided both by Autel and my chosen authorized dealer are causing me to regret my decision and re-evaluate my future purchases.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wilkz

JUNE 4, 2021 – Statement from Advexure regarding Autel Robotics EVO II Version 2 and Compatibility Announcement

See Advexure's full statement and FAQs here:

As with many in the Autel Robotics and drone community, Advexure was disappointed to hear Autel Robotics’ announcement today (Announcement Here: Autel Robotics EVO II V2 Product Announcement) regarding a development that will create a Version 1 and Version 2 of the Autel EVO II series which will result in incompatibility between versions of Autel’s new Smart Controller, its Live Deck video receiving and output product, and EVO II platforms. While this is a very new development, Advexure is working in close coordination with the Autel Robotics team to address our customer concerns, provide transparency, and remedy the understood frustration that this development may cause.

Our teams are working with you and for you to remedy this situation and enhance the user experience.

With empathy and thanks,
The Advexure Team

JUNE 4, 2021 – Statement from Advexure regarding Autel Robotics EVO II Version 2 and Compatibility Announcement

See Advexure's full statement and FAQs here:

As with many in the Autel Robotics and drone community, Advexure was disappointed to hear Autel Robotics’ announcement today (Announcement Here: Autel Robotics EVO II V2 Product Announcement) regarding a development that will create a Version 1 and Version 2 of the Autel EVO II series which will result in incompatibility between versions of Autel’s new Smart Controller, its Live Deck video receiving and output product, and EVO II platforms. While this is a very new development, Advexure is working in close coordination with the Autel Robotics team to address our customer concerns, provide transparency, and remedy the understood frustration that this development may cause.

Our teams are working with you and for you to remedy this situation and enhance the user experience.

With empathy and thanks,
The Advexure Team
I'm just one customer and what may seem like a small investment to a dealer or Autel was in fact a LARGE investment from my perspective. I realize the current situation is not under control of dealers and retailers and that the blame lies directly with Autel. I feel the marketing (complete with inaccurate specifications), collection of pre-orders and money based in good faith on said marketing and promised but unattainable shipping dates was very misleading and could have been EASILY avoided. As a hobbyist that is looking to move to the commercial space, I find Autel's business decisions regarding future and backwards compatibility amongst their products to cause me to loose faith in purchasing any future Autel products. Thanks for being understanding. I wish the dealers and customers well in communicating with Autel so that they can hopefully resolve these issues.

Reactions: steve2497
I'm just one customer and what may seem like a small investment to a dealer or Autel was in fact a LARGE investment from my perspective. I realize the current situation is not under control of dealers and retailers and that the blame lies directly with Autel. I feel the marketing (complete with inaccurate specifications), collection of pre-orders and money based in good faith on said marketing and promised but unattainable shipping dates was very misleading and could have been EASILY avoided. As a hobbyist that is looking to move to the commercial space, I find Autel's business decisions regarding future and backwards compatibility amongst their products to cause me to loose faith in purchasing any future Autel products. Thanks for being understanding. I wish the dealers and customers well in communicating with Autel so that they can hopefully resolve these issues.
Completely agree, currently the only "solution" is to buy 2 smart controllers which I can't see anyone doing....I certainly cant accept this.

If they can’t get the chips for v1 compatibility, they can’t… that’s possibly not in their control. BUT, how they handle the transition is. Seems like the easiest would be to not sell a dead end Smart Controller for $1200 at all… and offer a discounted board upgrade so a v1 airframe can be upgraded to a v2 for SC compatibility.

To just orphan a relatively new product and sell a very expensive piece of hardware knowing it doesn’t meet the promise is… not a good look.
Thank you. This could also be a superior approach for Autel Robotics to consider nd execute that's far superior to what's been announced (that they should walk back ASAP). if you've not done so, do share your idea with Autel at [email protected] (so it's recorded in a ticket) and [email protected] so the CEO has more feedback from his current (and hopefully future) client base. Again, thanks for the thoughtful suggestion.

The chip shortage seems to me to be a convenient excuse.
yep, and chips goes WAY deeper than drones, maybe it's time to do like the old vacuum tube industry did, pooled resources, bought the mothballed equipment. It's now a pretty good niece' business for hobby tube amp builders/techs. they are still made in Russia and CCPland though. there must be a mothballed chip plant in the US. I'm in for $1299 i was saving ;) also a retired Field engineer so I got time n knowledge to get systems up from the hardware side, I hate coding ?

Reactions: ehill
If Autel can't get THIS stuff right, why should I have any faith that they will get REMOTE ID right with their customers. Right now, my bet is they will leverage the Remote ID requirements to FORCE existing customers to purchase either a new product or entire line of products. Prior to the latest developments I had faith in them as a company - that has CHANGED.

Reactions: Wilkz and mshmovie
yep, and chips goes WAY deeper than drones, maybe it's time to do like the old vacuum tube industry did, pooled resources, bought the mothballed equipment. It's now a pretty good niece' business for hobby tube amp builders/techs. they are still made in Russia and CCPland though. there must be a mothballed chip plant in the US. I'm in for $1299 i was saving ;) also a retired Field engineer so I got time n knowledge to get systems up from the hardware side, I hate coding ?
The need to have redundant supply chains that are not from a single geographic location has definitely been highlighted by this global pandemic; it's a strong argument for considering your business continuity plan despite it reducing maximum margin potential. If you can find a way to profit from this, go for it. I'm still fine with coding and architecting - but will gladly trade it for retirement in the near future.. :)

Reactions: UasDriver and ehill
If Autel can't get THIS stuff right, why should I have any faith that they will get REMOTE ID right with their customers. Right now, my bet is they will leverage the Remote ID requirements to FORCE existing customers to purchase either a new product or entire line of products. Prior to the latest developments I had faith in them as a company - that has CHANGED.
Agreed. I hope they can rethink this and save face.

As you're aware, I do wholeheartedly agree. As for whether it can be addressed with firmware, I hypothesize that the chips are the actual radio transmitter/receivers affecting the frequencies and not the signal's content. It would be like trying to change a cell phone network from CDMA or TDMA to GSM; they send signals over the air, but there's no cross compatibility that can be overcome by firmware - there's an underlying radio incompatibility despite all standards sending the same underlying content (phones have overcome this by having multiple radios - that's not what we're getting here).

Copping out on a firmware upgrade that's good for business would get the technology & product leaders fired (or it should); that would be an absolutely unforgivable and fire-able offense. (This is on the cusp of being a fire-able offense as far as I'm concerned - it's a poorly considered choice; but I rant on thoughtfully...)

I believe one of the underlying factors is the new laws and Remote ID. I would think/hope that we will be able to get a module for current version, but it would make good business sense to shift everything right now, especially during this current chip situation, to be set for future products to be compliant. There are other reasons I'm sure, but Remote ID has to play some part in this.

I would like to start a thread for Autel users to discuss Autel's recent decisions regarding the Smart Controller as well as product compatibility. I'm hoping to email Autel's new CEO - Randall Warnas ([email protected]) with the intent that he will read this thread to get opinions from the many experienced Autel customers/pilots on this forum. Please post your replies here or alternatively on the thread by Eagle 928 - I'm hoping our message (as a group) will be heard. I will also ask Randall to look at Eagle 928s thread as there is much conversation to be found there.

Last edited:
This sent to both email addresses - " ticket received" message from support :) :

Your descision to sell a basically DOA controller for USD 1200 is a colossal business mistake, that will cost you customers galore.

We have used (and still use) DJI drones for our TV drone-clips, but was slowly considering moving all systems to Autel.

Your descision has forced us to recondider this move. We are NOT going to spend approx USD 2.400 per drone outfit to ensure compatibility between V.1 and a coming V.2 of EVO II drones. No way!

IF you go ahead with your planning, you should at least consider offering pre-ordering customers the outphased V1 Smart controller to a very reduced (basically production) price, which would enable us to do a proper cost-benefit estimation and - hopefully - be able to switch to Autel. Your drones are fine and all, but this descision is a very wrong and bad move, which WILL cost you customers, playing us/them directly back in the hands of DJI.

I hope you will reconsider the whole issue and let us know very soon how you see the future aspect,

Kind regards

Peter Erfurt
Technical advisor
24-7news
Denmark

I believe one of the underlying factors is the new laws and Remote ID. I would think/hope that we will be able to get a module for current version, but it would make good business sense to shift everything right now, especially during this current chip situation, to be set for future products to be compliant. There are other reasons I'm sure, but Remote ID has to play some part in this.
Interesting. You may want to vet that with Autel Robotics as that's not been stated by them with regards to this debacle (yet).

I'm obviously not inclined to accept this decision passively. Autel came to market with an impressive platform with the Evo II Series and their announcement of the Smart Controller motivated me to spend significant funds on an E2Pro Rugged Bundle, three more batteries, two Hanatora chargers (why wait?), extra props, Firehouse ARC V's, Freewell All Day filters and preorder the Smart Controller with future product compatibility.

Serious $ spent to date with the intent to spend more is the way I'd categorize myself as a consumer as of yesterday afternoon.

This announcement marks a crossroads for Autel Robotics; they're about to drink from the wrong goblet rather than from the holy grail of building product that serves your customers, dealers and adheres to what's been marketed and presold. It smacks of all the potential to be ugly without a viable means of recovery. I really don't want to refer to Autel Robotics in the same category as 3DR and Yuneec; that would be very sad. I'd much prefer for them to continue to differentiate themselves with great product the community appreciates.

I would like to start a thread for Auttechncal decisions el users to discuss Autel's recent decisions regarding the Smart Controller as well as product compatibility. I'm hoping to email Autel's new CEO - Randall Warnas ([email protected]) with the intent that he will read this thread to get opinions from the many experienced Autel customers/pilots on this forum. Please post your replies here or alternatively on the thread by Eagle 928 - I'm hoping our message (as a group) will be heard. I will also ask Randall to look at Eagle 928s thread as there is much conversation to be found there.
I hope this doesn't splinter focus from the other thread.

Here's what I already sent to Randall, the model of the email being:
  1. This is intended to help guide your decision in a helpful, thoughtful and critical manner
  2. I have a rich background making technical decisions and I do not agree with this, I'll share why
  3. Did you consider the impact?
  4. You can easily gauge market feedback in three places with nearly no effort and should incorporate what you client base and dealers are saying.
  5. Please reconsider what is likely to happen to your company, as a result of this decision, if you do not change course;

My fellow autelpilots.com community members: I'm honored to have had the opportunity to touch the products I have in my career and I'm just using that as a foundation to build credibility; this former kid from humble beginnings just wants to make a difference by being a decent human every day. I hope this is recognized a a formula that works to facilitate and be a catalyst to our efforts and work for good; it's what I'm about.

Hi Randall,

I'm Marc Hollander, a passionate owner of numerous drones with the most recent being an Autel Evo II Pro Rugged with five batteries.

I'm very concerned with a recent decision Autel Robotics made to address a chip shortage that significantly affects your customer base.
This email elaborates as to the specifics of the decision, its impact, statements of fact, likely outcomes and ways to mitigate.

I'm also a Chief Technology Officer of Tru Optik, A company recently acquired by TransUnion; my third startup exit.
  • I make complex technical and product decisions many times a day; my platform drives an identity graph that facilitates Internet TV (OTT) advertising
    • We handle over a billion web hits a day (big data, large scale)
  • My decisions have resulted in exits resulting in nearly $1 billion; I've turned around my last two exits in 1 - 2 years respectively from near bankruptcy to 8 and 9 figure exits.
I have to challenge the decision made to alter the feature set of the Smart Controller.

To state facts:
  1. A feature was promised where is would support the existing Autel EVO II Series Platform
  2. A feature was promised where is would support future Autel products (where the community is anticipating a sub 250 gram offering)
  3. Preorders were placed by your customer base based on the feature set
  4. Recent announcements declared there would be two versions of the smart controller released due to chip shortages:
    1. one that will support the existing Autel EVO II platform, but eliminates feature 2 (future product support); this would be on a first come first serve basis
    2. one that would support a v2 version of the Autel EVO II platform based on new chips and has support for future products
Here's the impact on your customer base (comprised of businesses and enthusiasts):
  1. Purchases were made of the first gen EVO II platform knowing the new smart controller would work with it and future products; decisions were misdriected
    1. How will Autel manage this customer experience?
  2. The offering of two different smart controllers, obviously meant to solve a problem, does not:
    1. If you're fortunate enough to get a controller that works with a legacy, v1 EVO II:
      1. What happens if you get a warranty or Autel Care replacement with regards to compatibility?
      2. If you lose your drone, not uncommon, when you replace it, how useful is that v1 compatible smart controller?
    2. If you have a v1 EVO II and your authorized reseller unfortunately sends you a v2 controller, what's that experience like for your customer?
      1. Do you have plans to mitigate this experience?
  3. As a consumer, if you're not well connected to the two Autel Groups on facebook and AutelPilots.com, and your reseller does not inform you of the loss of compatibility in the v1 controller, what will that experience be like for that consumer?
    1. How will Autel manage this?
Was this decision made to preserve revenue for a quarter or a half during a chip shortage (which is not unprecedented - only thing that's unique is root cause)?
  • If so, have you analyzed the market impact of what this does to your client base and their willingness to be a repeat buyer?
    • I have Three DJI Mavic Pros, Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic Zoom, Air 2S, Mavic Mini, Spark, Skydio 2 and a few more I built.
      • This community is passionate and has money to spend.
    • What's the forecast of short term gains from the new supplier vs. losing your loyal customers?
    • The community likes the lack of geo fencing (DJI differentiator), likes the camera quality (time boxed until the Mavic Pro 3 meets or exceeds it), is not enthused with the standard controller.
      • The Smart Controller promised to further differentiate Autel and likely had you forecasting a gain in market share.
      • Based on the "chip debacle" I assert you will see market erosion and will have to regain market share with a product offering that may be technically superior, but ignored the investment you promised to support.
        • A former boss of mine always said, "The perfect is the enemy of the good/" If this was a deciding factor, reconsider this choice. Even Occusync 3 can be controller with DJI's smart controller which was invented circa Occusync 2 (I know first hand.)

I have no idea what type of constraint decisions made to date may have put you in; e.g., tooling, chips acquired, assembly lines set up and running.

Regardless, I'm very concerned about the decisions made, I and the community do not embrace them, and strongly suggest you reconsider and reset direction to put this back on the path promised to your consumer community.

If you browse autelpilots.com, you will get a low cost high value sense of the impact and fallout of this decision. (There are two facebook groups as well.)

As a manager of managers, I cherish my considerate dissenters; it's what's let me have the honor of building coveted properties and products for decades - a true honor and a pleasure.

I hope you don't mind my frank assessment of Autel Robotic's decision, but it's the most value I can offer, it's intended to be constructive and yield the best outcome for all.

Feel free to reach out if you'd like - my phone is with me at all times.

One of the reasons I wanted / pre-ordered / paid for an already obsolete Smart Controller.
Me too. Which is why there's so much engagement on this topic fueled by outrage and considerate thought striving to turn it around and convert it into a win for all involved. It's worth the effort.

We all want EXTRA GEAR to haul around, right? ?
I love the ambiance of sitting around a fire with friends. Let's all simultaneously throw two logs, made of $1,200 each, onto the fire now. How spectacular! (That's it from snark central...)

Autel Robotics needs to find its sensibilities or they will be lost as a result of this decision.

Reactions: Wilkz and ehill

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MFJ