Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Notice From Autel About Controllers and Compatibility in the Future

i will bet you that this came from Autel International. There might not be much that can be done. I dont think the New CEO wants to be bad side of his bosses LOL
A good executive does not sit and say yes, they try to influence the outcome for the better, discuss, debate and only stand down when a better idea is presented; that's earning your pay. We'll have to see what we have in Randall; I think at least two of emailed him.

@advexure @Empire Drone As Autel Authorized resellers, which may put you in an awkward spot, do you have a POV on this? I suspect this is far from a fantasy outcome and incurs damage with advertising expenses, managing preorders that were for The Autel Smart Controller where now Autel intends to release a limited run of v1 followed by v2 controllers. If you can reply here, please do. If you want to PM so your interests can be carried to Autel from the consumers, I'm up for it; I have emails to support and Randall the CEO. My goal is to get this fixed.

I got this announcement today from the Drone-Works who I placed my preorder with. This is a suicidal move from Autel and its so significant I am now struggling to justify going with Autel in the future and may as well convert to a DJI pilot as they would surely not do something so stupid and completely at the customer's expense. I think I will just cancel my preorder now as what's the point!

In short my 1,200 smart controller pre ordered and paid for back in April will now NOT be forwards compatible for future aircraft despite all the marketing saying it will be forwards compatible, not to mention its a given that every customer would expect this.

Its like buying the lataest version of Microsoft Windows but on the understanding it will only work with current software and nothing in the future....who would buy it!!!

China nature of the company shows itself.

Nice one Autel. I was in the minority but I was never impressed with their support. Just curious they ever make those A and B buttons on the back programmable?

Reactions: Sjs
new Smart Controller V2
2AGNTEF9RC2458A
2021-06-03

new EVO II V2 (MDCA)
2AGNTMCA2458A
2021-01-20

old Smart Controller V1
2AGNTEF9RC2409A
2021-04-30

Last edited:
Extensive email sent. If he's a solid exec, he should be thinking and visiting this forum as well. - M
Do NOT think that because you see no evidence of them, that personnel from corporate do not monitor these boards... hell, where do you think R&D get the their new feature ideas, other than our own posted wish list?

I'm afraid its the way everything is becoming today!
A means for Companies to Raise Prices at the expense of making Excuses for everything!

CHIP SHORTAGE??? HOG WASH! The US and CHINA can make CHIPS in record numbers, "IF THEY WANT TOO"! But, when it comes down to profits and really trying to RIP OFF consumers, they make up these sorry excuses.

So, instead of a Controller Costing $1299, it will eventually cost allot more!

And who designed this second generation controller with NO backward compatibility! Ridiculous!

This is NOT SOMETHING I NEED, even though I wanted it and have sold the last of my DJI Junk to help fund the new controller. So much for that Idea!

NOTE TO AUTEL: YOU HAVE REALLY LET DOWN YOUR CUSTOMERS!

As I’m just getting my business going and having just added the evo 2 dual to said business, this is concerning....what does this mean for payloads? The appeal to add the evo 2 was the ability to switch out payloads, I’m really hoping this v2 doesn’t also affect that ability with my v1. Like someone else pointed out, it’s only a year old.

Just spotted this on FB. I have no reason to believe it isn't valid and it was confirmed by a reliable 2nd party.

"Autel V2 Product Announcement

Dear Supporters,
In order to stay true to Autel Robotics’ commitment to transparency, this notice is to inform you of a few changes coming as a result of the well- documented global chip shortage.
Due to the shortage, we will be unable to produce more of the current version of our EVO II platforms, Smart Controllers, and Live Deck. As a result, we will be releasing a second version of these platforms in the upcoming months. Unfortunately, this means Version 1 aircraft will not work with Version 2 controllers and vice versa, although batteries will remain cross-compatible.

Though brought on by necessity, this change gives us an opportunity to improve on our product. The new version will provide increased transmission stability, significantly enhancing the user experience. It will also enable us to create a more sustainable supply chain so we can continue to get our tools into the hands of those who rely on them.

With this new development in mind, only a limited number of Version 1 Smart Controllers will be manufactured. These will be distributed on a first come, first served basis. If you have any further questions, please reach out to our team at [email protected].

Thank you for your support and understanding. We will do our best to remedy the situation as quickly as possible."
Autel just bricked thousands of drones at some point in the future. I doubt I ever buy anything else from such a company.

Reactions: Sjs and steve2497
A few weeks ago they said they would not repair my drone because the "Cost was more than a new drone". Maybe this is why? Although I think they were suggesting that I purchase the existing v1 as a replacement!

Reactions: PingSpike
Sounds like a bad marketing ploy to force more people to buy the overpriced smart controller.

Well said. That's exactly what drove this decision. The worst case scenario is for them to produce a two chip smart controller that will work with any Autel Evo II platform regardless of version; that would be 100% satisfactory (two smart controller is not a solution - it's a terrible compromise). They can proceed with a new chipset to address the shortage and manufacture smart controllers that are supply constrained due to needing two chips and take a little less profit for the good of the consumer and their business.?‍♂️

Then we can celebrate and covet the new and improved Evo II v2 and increase their sales. They can replace drones with new versions (instead of keep old in stock).

Would it slow the release of the smart controller? Of course. Would it be the right thing to do? Please share.
Agree with all of this! We need to let them know as a group that we are unhappy with the current situation. For me it is to the level that I'm ready to switch brands. I'm regretting my decision to drop nearly $4500 on Autel gear and accessories already and I purchased in January of this year. I really like the hardware - but am unimpressed with Autel as a company so far.

Reactions: Wilkz and Sjs
I got this announcement today from the Drone-Works who I placed my preorder with. This is a suicidal move from Autel and its so significant I am now struggling to justify going with Autel in the future and may as well convert to a DJI pilot as they would surely not do something so stupid and completely at the customer's expense. I think I will just cancel my preorder now as what's the point!

In short my 1,200 smart controller pre ordered and paid for back in April will now NOT be forwards compatible for future aircraft despite all the marketing saying it will be forwards compatible, not to mention its a given that every customer would expect this.

Its like buying the lataest version of Microsoft Windows but on the understanding it will only work with current software and nothing in the future....who would buy it!!!
Exactly. Autel needs to act like the smart company it is. This is a massive misstep.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sjs and steve2497
Well, I'm certainly reconsidering my Smart Controller purchase. I think this goes one of two ways... the v1 SC is either REALLY hard to find and kind of valuable initially... or no one ends up wanting it and they're super easy to find. Either way, it's a really dumb move... Autel seems to be following the 3DR playbook on "how to not be a threat to DJI."

The chip shortage thing is a reality and there really isn't anything they can do about that... BUT they could handle this MUCH better. If I were in charge, I'd halt or deeply discount the sale of the v1 Smart Controller and only really release the v2. I'd also create a program where those with v1 birds can send in their v1 airframe and have the board updated to v2 for a nominal fee. Maybe just include that in the cost of a v2 Smart Controller.

That signals to the professionals that this is a stable platform that professionals can rely on.

Creating these dead-end product lines is amateur hour and is honestly one of my major problems with investing in DJI's higher-end products.

@advexure @Empire Drone As Autel Authorized resellers, which may put you in an awkward spot, do you have a POV on this? I suspect this is far from a fantasy outcome and incurs damage with advertising expenses, managing preorders that were for The Autel Smart Controller where now Autel intends to release a limited run of v1 followed by v2 controllers. If you can reply here, please do. If you want to PM so your interests can be carried to Autel from the consumers, I'm up for it; I have emails to support and Randall the CEO. My goal is to get this fixed.
I'm hoping that dealers (if they care about their CUSTOMERS - which I believe most do) will also apply some pressure and advise Autel that they are not going down a good path. Right now I'm evaluating for myself whether it's better to use DJI equipment and put up with the geofencing or to use Autel and put up with the issues in this discussion. After seeing another pilot use DJI geofencing and unlock a flight in class C airspace about .75 miles from a decent size airport in about 15 seconds - I'm thinking DJI may be the way to go. DJI has worked to bring compatibility of their Smart Controller to MORE models/versions of their drones - while Autel (even when they have the chance to correct before shipping) seems to be taking the OPPOSITE path whilst pricing said controller significantly higher than DJI. I'm also thinking of switching to Skydio or XDynamics. This is an important period of time for Autel - let's see if they have enough care for their customers to change this (in my mind) bad decision.

I'm on the fence about this. While future compatibility is great, I've seen it more times than I want to remember where a video firm makes a model obsolete...all accessories, etc are similarly axed. When I buy a new camera or piece of gear...I buy anything I think I'll ever need for it at that time.

I'd consider a TriplTek, but also would like the ability to have "video out" for another monitor for a director, etc. The SC does that...

Advexure is where my controller is pre ordered from emailed them yesterday when all this broke waiting for response and clarity. I believe they should take a loss and heavily discount the controller for those who still want it since the value is less with ZERO future use for the next UAVs

The Live Deck is a better solution to the “director monitor“ problem than tethering the director to the controller.

As for discounting the v1 smart controller. It sounds like there very well might be fewer v1 smart controllers than people who have a v1 EVO and want one. That would lead to HIGHER prices, not lower.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller