Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Notice From Autel About Controllers and Compatibility in the Future

Just dropped one on the scale. 2 lbs 10 ozs without what Autel calls the "Smart Controller Protective Case". We're calling it the "ergonomic snap on". 3 lbs with the snap on.
that begs for a chest/shoulder harness on long days

absolutely true. it makes no sense to buy an evo 2 today and consider purchasing the sc later down the road. that's a no-no. if you don't already have a line on a sc and you really want one for sure, you need to wait until you can buy a v2 drone. you might even have the option to buy a v2 drone/sc bundle sans standard rc at a decent price. if you absolutely have no need for a sc, you are free to buy a drone today or tomorrow or next month or next year, it's not going to matter all that much. personally I think you can get a v1 drone pretty cheap and something tells me the v2 drones are not going to exhibit these rock-bottom prices.
Thanks for your comments. I have instructed Amazon to cancel the delivery. I don't know yet when, but I will need a Smart controller and a Live deck, both of them being unavailable for V1 very soon, surely before I can afford them...
Even if the discount was great, it was still 1600€ for an EVO II Pro rugged package, with 3 batteries and few additional items. This is a huge amount of money for me and I definitely don't want to spend them in an EOL product.
Especially, I don't like at all the lack of information from Autel: before purchasing the drone, I went to Autel website and review all accessories, and nowhere it is noted that a huge change will happen in the coming days and that what is advertised is not applicable to V1 version.
I know Autel is not the only company practicing this way, but I find this dishonest as a consumer...
I have exchanged with the Seller on Amazon.fr (Autel Direct_FR) and they commented that:
-V1 inventory will be sold until it last, without info on the V2 to come
-V2 may not be available before 6 months
-V2 may encounter some issues with stability (sounds ******** to me)
-V2 price will increase by 20% due to EU VAT policy on imported products...

So I think I'm on the market for a new Drone of an other brand...

Thanks for your comments. I have instructed Amazon to cancel the delivery. I don't know yet when, but I will need a Smart controller and a Live deck, both of them being unavailable for V1 very soon, surely before I can afford them...
Even if the discount was great, it was still 1600€ for an EVO II Pro rugged package, with 3 batteries and few additional items. This is a huge amount of money for me and I definitely don't want to spend them in an EOL product.
Especially, I don't like at all the lack of information from Autel: before purchasing the drone, I went to Autel website and review all accessories, and nowhere it is noted that a huge change will happen in the coming days and that what is advertised is not applicable to V1 version.
I know Autel is not the only company practicing this way, but I find this dishonest as a consumer...
I have exchanged with the Seller on Amazon.fr (Autel Direct_FR) and they commented that:
-V1 inventory will be sold until it last, without info on the V2 to come
-V2 may not be available before 6 months
-V2 may encounter some issues with stability (sounds ******** to me)
-V2 price will increase by 20% due to EU VAT policy on imported products...

So I think I'm on the market for a new Drone of an other brand...
V1 is not end of life only thing different is radio transmitter all other parts will be exact Arms, Body Motors Camera sensors GPS modular etc. Its funny everyone thinks V1 and V2 are basically the same. Only time i would worry if you Crash land in the Sea/ water and radio Transmitter breaks. Autel will be able to repars all minor or harsh repairs. alot of people are blowing this out of the water

You are right, maybe the wording is not appropriate...what I'm pointing is the lack of compatibility with all newly developped transmission equipment.
Maybe my decision is the wrong one, future will tell!

V1 is not end of life only thing different is radio transmitter all other parts will be exact Arms, Body Motors Camera sensors GPS modular etc. Its funny everyone thinks V1 and V2 are basically the same. Only time i would worry if you Crash land in the Sea/ water and radio Transmitter breaks. Autel will be able to repars all minor or harsh repairs. alot of people are blowing this out of the water
Let's nail this down. If you are saying that a V1 owner who needs his craft to be replaced (whether under warranty or not) will receive a new V1…or will he be offered a V2 (complete with a new RC) as the only option, for which some sort of surcharge will apply?

That's not the only problem.

First of all, even giving Randall the benefit of the doubt as the "new guy" at Autel Robotics, his company's reputation for long-term product support is less-than-wonderful. Read through the fora for X-Star Premium and EVO I if you don't know what I mean.

We're talking about devices that cost more than twice what I paid for some cars I've owned. Yet in the case of X-Star Premium (with EVO I close behind), they've become expensive paperweights due to AR's refusal to provide ongoing support.

AR's refusal to provide batteries is particularly offensive both because it's the only part whose lifetime is known to be limited under normal use, and because there exists a relatively easy solution: Either license the logic tech to Some Other Company so they can make aftermarket battery clones, or just open-source it altogether and let anyone make them.

AR's refusal to use either option to support their product and customers is reprehensible. In view of a history of that sort of recent-past product non-support, how much credibility should I, as an EVO II owner, give to Randall's vague assurances regarding EVO II?

I can't even rightly call his assurances "promises" because Randall has a gift for using many words to say nothing. My impression thus far is that he's more suited for a career in politics than as CEO of a tech company, where specificity is everything.

Randall could, of course, change my mind. All he has to do is start manufacturing batteries for past AR drone models (or enable other companies to manufacture aftermarket ones). If he refuses to do so, or if he lacks the authority to do so, then please explain why I should view his vague assurances regarding EVO II as having any credibility whatsoever?

The other problem has to do with reasonable expectations: and this may be where Autel Robotics suffers more than damage to their reputation.

People who purchased the EVO II with the assumption, based on the company's own marketing materials, that the Smart Controller was "coming soon," had a reasonable expectation that the product would actually exist in sufficient quantities for anyone who wanted one to obtain one. If that turns out to be false, it constitutes a material misrepresentation in AR's marketing.

One might excuse that as unintentional were it not for the fact that AR's official site is still marketing both the EVO II and the SC, with no mention of the future incompatibilities, nor any mention that the SC is basically vaporware as far as new EVO II buyers are concerned, and with the promise that future aircraft will also be supported by the SC.

I hate to say it, but I'm starting to think a class-action suit is inevitable. The company is still materially misrepresenting its products and making promises that even Randall admits they can't keep. Customers who buy an EVO II today based on information on AR's own Web site are being defrauded, plain and simple.

Randall may not be authorized to start building batteries for older drones, but one would think he can authorize a change of wording on a Web site to remove a material misrepresentation.

So please forgive me if I hesitate to place my faith in Randal's many words and scant substance. I do hope he proves my hesitancy to be unwarranted, but that hope is waning.

Attachments

• Autel Smart Controller – Autel Robotics.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 9
  • smart-controller-specification – Autel Robotics.pdf
    113.8 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: YuKay
So here we have taken the stand off. Our guess is most are going to default to stand off. In these pics we also have the "ergonomic snap on" installed on the rear of the SC. The sticks do stick up above the roof of this cavity whether you have the snap on installed or the SC is naked. The sticks screw off. The stand does have an area to screw them into the stand when they are removed.

View attachment 10744View attachment 10745
Maybe you can trim a groove in the foam for the bracket .

That's not the only problem.

First of all, even giving Randall the benefit of the doubt as the "new guy" at Autel Robotics, his company's reputation for long-term product support is less-than-wonderful. Read through the fora for X-Star Premium and EVO I if you don't know what I mean.

We're talking about devices that cost more than twice what I paid for some cars I've owned. Yet in the case of X-Star Premium (with EVO I close behind), they've become expensive paperweights due to AR's refusal to provide ongoing support.

AR's refusal to provide batteries is particularly offensive both because it's the only part whose lifetime is known to be limited under normal use, and because there exists a relatively easy solution: Either license the logic tech to Some Other Company so they can make aftermarket battery clones, or just open-source it altogether and let anyone make them.

AR's refusal to use either option to support their product and customers is reprehensible. In view of a history of that sort of recent-past product non-support, how much credibility should I, as an EVO II owner, give to Randall's vague assurances regarding EVO II?

I can't even rightly call his assurances "promises" because Randall has a gift for using many words to say nothing. My impression thus far is that he's more suited for a career in politics than as CEO of a tech company, where specificity is everything.

Randall could, of course, change my mind. All he has to do is start manufacturing batteries for past AR drone models (or enable other companies to manufacture aftermarket ones). If he refuses to do so, or if he lacks the authority to do so, then please explain why I should view his vague assurances regarding EVO II as having any credibility whatsoever?

The other problem has to do with reasonable expectations: and this may be where Autel Robotics suffers more than damage to their reputation.

People who purchased the EVO II with the assumption, based on the company's own marketing materials, that the Smart Controller was "coming soon," had a reasonable expectation that the product would actually exist in sufficient quantities for anyone who wanted one to obtain one. If that turns out to be false, it constitutes a material misrepresentation in AR's marketing.

One might excuse that as unintentional were it not for the fact that AR's official site is still marketing both the EVO II and the SC, with no mention of the future incompatibilities, nor any mention that the SC is basically vaporware as far as new EVO II buyers are concerned, and with the promise that future aircraft will also be supported by the SC.

I hate to say it, but I'm starting to think a class-action suit is inevitable. The company is still materially misrepresenting its products and making promises that even Randall admits they can't keep. Customers who buy an EVO II today based on information on AR's own Web site are being defrauded, plain and simple.

Randall may not be authorized to start building batteries for older drones, but one would think he can authorize a change of wording on a Web site to remove a material misrepresentation.

So please forgive me if I hesitate to place my faith in Randal's many words and scant substance. I do hope he proves my hesitancy to be unwarranted, but that hope is waning.
Strong words but since my 4K EVO 1 is now doomed, less than two years after I bought it, with no replacement batteries (and doubtless many other parts) available, I tend to agree. All the reputable companies I know would continue to produce the batteries and other parts for many years after discontinuing an expensive product - so I fear there is more to this saga than meets the eye. The most likely explanation imho is that Autel Robotics are out of cash and almost bust - but they can dispel that notion easily by producing the spare parts I'm going to need.

And I can't get my head around this chip thing. Too many folk here seem too happy to be receiving their new smart controllers when they know they have bought a pup and have nothing much more than a verbal assurance on an internet forum that all will be well in the future.

The only way that all will be well going forward is if those buying drones or controllers today have a formal guarantee that that they will be able to get support, repair and parts going forward - or that if an upgrade is forced upon them, they will not have to pay any extra for it.

The fact that Autel's website is pretending this issue doesn't exist is worrying. And the fact that they have only announced it to resellers without notifying the press is also worrying.

The new CEO talks well and sounds persuasive. But that's not enough. Bernie Madoff had the same qualities.

I think that at least one reseller has vowed in this thread to come clean with new customers about the chip issue before taking their cash - but that too only holds water if it's on their website in black and white for all to see.

I find it so strange that people are recieving their orders yet Autel CS told me yesterday that they do not have any shiiping info. How out of touch can Autel CS be.

Strong words but since my 4K EVO 1 is now doomed, less than two years after I bought it, with no replacement batteries (and doubtless many other parts) available, I tend to agree. All the reputable companies I know would continue to produce the batteries and other parts for many years after discontinuing an expensive product - so I fear there is more to this saga than meets the eye. The most likely explanation imho is that Autel Robotics are out of cash and almost bust - but they can dispel that notion easily by producing the spare parts I'm going to need.

And I can't get my head around this chip thing. Too many folk here seem too happy to be receiving their new smart controllers when they know they have bought a pup and have nothing much more than a verbal assurance on an internet forum that all will be well in the future.

The only way that all will be well going forward is if those buying drones or controllers today have a formal guarantee that that they will be able to get support, repair and parts going forward - or that if an upgrade is forced upon them, they will not have to pay any extra for it.

The fact that Autel's website is pretending this issue doesn't exist is worrying. And the fact that they have only announced it to resellers without notifying the press is also worrying.

The new CEO talks well and sounds persuasive. But that's not enough. Bernie Madoff had the same qualities.

I think that at least one reseller has vowed in this thread to come clean with new customers about the chip issue before taking their cash - but that too only holds water if it's on their website in black and white for all to see.

First off, I think comparing Randall to Bernie Madoff is a little... well, premature AND unfair. People I trust know him personally and have vouched for his integrity.

Are the original EVO batteries really discontinued? I haven't followed that (or the X-Star), but it appears that you can buy EVO I batteries from both Autel directly and also B&H and Amazon. They're even on sale at B&H for $90 each.

As for the X-Star, it looks like it was introduced in 2016? That's the same year the Inspire 1 Pro was introduced... and batteries for Inspire 1s are ALSO discontinued and very hard to find. The truth is, DJI is really really bad about keeping forward-compatibility too and you just have to understand that a drone that is nearing discontinuation may not have part support (mostly batteries) more than a few years past discontinuation. I hate it too and I wish that wasn't the case, but that seems to be the norm in the drone industry. I bought a Zenmuse X5R for my Inspire 1 about six months before the Inspire 2 was announced with a completely different camera interface... so I've been burned here too.

Tooling back up to produce parts for an older platform is hideously expensive. Frankly, I'd worry a lot more about Autel Robotics's future if they did stuff like that.

I'm happy to be receiving my Smart Controller because it'll work with the drone I'd always planned to use it with. 20+ years in the tech industry has taught me that forward-compatibility is nice when it happens, but it usually doesn't. I would prefer the v1/v2 thing didn't happen... but I also understand why it did. If they can't get a reliable supply of the previous chips AND be compliant with US government regulations, then the change had to be made. DJI would have just silently made this change and never even produced the v1 Smart Controller. THAT would have made me angry because one of the reasons I settled on the EVO II was the future availability of a compatible Smart Controller.

Reactions: Junior and Lexicon
I find it so strange that people are recieving their orders yet Autel CS told me yesterday that they do not have any shiiping info. How out of touch can Autel CS be.
It's not that weird. Customer service is often the last ones to "know" things officially.

Reactions: advexure
It's not that weird. Customer service is often the last ones to "know" things officially.
Affirmative. Certainly not all that weird/odd considering that distributors are the ones that are actually filling the pre-orders. Yes the manufacturer CS should know that dists are filling, but I wouldn't say it's expected as the logistics are not being handled by them.

I am troubled and not happy today. Never planned on purchasing a SC, so congrats to all that do and I hope they work great...they sure look beautiful in pics! Thanks @advexure for posting pics!
I have always been a big supporter of Autel products and have both the Evo I and II pro.
Autel is now updating the NFZ database on your drone. Forced update...meaning you can't update the firmware and NOT have the NFZ update on the drone. IMO this is the first step to NFZ enforcement, just like DJI. If you have not heard the new CEO, (who worked for DJI), talk so "glowingly" about DJI and how great they are....you should give it a listen.
I have no problem with NFZ on drones, in fact I welcome it....as long as the final decision on the piloting of the drone is up to the pilot, and not the manufacturer.

If I were looking for a high end drone and/or when I get asked what drone I would recommend.....it pains me to say this, but I wouldn't purchase or recommend an Autel drone right now. Believe me...I get asked all the time what to buy. Lot of experience with firmware and drone apps....digging into how they work. I will fully admit I have NOT looked at the latest firmware yet to see if this update can be taken care of or not. NFZ enforcement is just a couple of bits away from being turned on. Not happy.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonhenkelman