Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Notice From Autel About Controllers and Compatibility in the Future

All resellers had a Zoom call with Randall (CEO) yesterday morning. The conversation was framed that the chip switch is a necessary growing pain for Autel.

Here are some key takeaways about the chip switch;

Thanks. Any word on timing for the v2 airframe and standard RC? Enterprise edition?

Could the resellers watching please assure me that new EVO customers today are being told about the chip obsolescence issue before you take their money? Hopefully the majority will find their way to this forum during their DD and be clued up - but many won't.

It would obviously be morally wrong - and probably illegal - to sell current EVO stock without full transparency. And we've heard where the CEO stands on transparency.

Could the resellers watching please assure me that new EVO customers today are being told about the chip obsolescence issue before you take their money? Hopefully the majority will find their way to this forum during their DD and be clued up - but many won't.

It would obviously be morally wrong - and probably illegal - to sell current EVO stock without full transparency. And we've heard where the CEO stands on transparency.
I must be missing something here...and said with respect to YuKay...

I too would hope that resellers add some sort of disclosure to their listings that a given product only works with another product. But illegal? I think not.

It would obviously be morally wrong - and probably illegal - to sell current EVO stock without full transparency
That's like a smartphone shop saying, "Oh, don't by this model because a new one is coming out in September".

Or DJI saying don't buy the Mini 2 because we're releasing a Mini 3 later this year.

Or a Range Rover dealer saying don't buy this brand new 2021 model because a 2022 one is already being designed as we speak.

You can apply this to anything ?

So no, nobody will ever say that. You should assume anything you buy will be upgraded or retired.

So no, nobody will ever say that. You should assume anything you buy will be upgraded or retired.
What I expect from any new product purchase is that the vendor is able to support/repair/replace as may be necessary for a good number of years. Until/unless Autel formalise their support offer on the current EVOs with obsolete chips, that certainly wouldn't be the case if I bought a new EVO this week. So I would expect the reseller to forewarn me about the chip issue before taking my cash.

Otherwise, Randall's fine words about transparency will sound hollow.

What I expect from any new product purchase is that the vendor is able to support/repair/replace as may be necessary for a good number of years. Until/unless Autel formalise their support offer on the current EVOs with obsolete chips, that certainly wouldn't be the case if I bought a new EVO this week. So I would expect the reseller to forewarn me about the chip issue before taking my cash.

Otherwise, Randall's fine words about transparency will sound hollow.
I think the manufacturers warranty is sufficient for moral and legal purposes and it also takes care of the transparency that is due to the consumer. take a look at it again, believe what you read, and then I'm sure you'll agree it is exactly what is needed in these types of situations. however, if you need more there are various service plans or "support offers" as you call it that are available for those who need additional coverage.

this is not a new problem. it's decades old if not a century and most of us have effectively dealt with this as consumers.

Reactions: JTech777
There was an interview posted here the other day with Warnas, and Empire shared some invaluable details of a dealer meeting this week too.

Warnas said Autel will continue to support the v1 in terms of warranty.

That warranty is only for a year though, as with most high street electronic products.

There was an interview posted here the other day with Warnas, and Empire shared some invaluable details of a dealer meeting this week too.

Warnas said Autel will continue to support the v1 in terms of warranty.

That warranty is only for a year though, as with most high street electronic products.
yep, also I think there are some credit cards that will double your warranty up to an additional year if you are the type of risk adverse person who finds value in them.

I'm not talking about warranty obligations which typically only last a year. Consumers have a right to expect spare parts to be available for their new products for several years after they purchase. I assumed that Apple's commitment was standard practice in the US; and it is now illegal in Europe for many products to be sold without spare parts availability to ensure that appliances can be repaired rather than forcibly thrown away.

Maybe one or more of the resellers posting here can give me a definitive answer to the transparency question. Until Autel formalise their support policy for this switchover, new customers must surely be forewarned about the chip issue before they buy? I would be concerned if not.

• Angry
Reactions: kenautelevo2pro
I'm not talking about warranty obligations which typically only last a year. Consumers have a right to expect spare parts to be available for their new products for several years after they purchase. I assumed that Apple's commitment was standard practice in the US; and it is now illegal in Europe for many products to be sold without spare parts availability to ensure that appliances can be repaired rather than forcibly thrown away.

Maybe one or more of the resellers posting here can give me a definitive answer to the transparency question. Until Autel formalise their support policy for this switchover, new customers must surely be forewarned about the chip issue before they buy? I would be concerned if not.
Just read Empire Drones post on their discussion with Autel CEO. Its a few pages pack.

Just read Empire Drones post on their discussion with Autel CEO. Its a few pages pack.
Yes, I already read that. What worries me is that we know about this but it's not on Autel's website and it's possible it isn't being flagged up to new buyers. It needs to be a formal statement on the Autel website and on resellers' web sites. And the support offer needs to be precise. If they "offer V2 products to replace V1 products" will that be at no cost to the customer - and will it still apply after the warranty expires?

Yes, I already read that. What worries me is that we know about this but it's not on Autel's website and it's possible it isn't being flagged up to new buyers. It needs to be a formal statement on the Autel website and on resellers' web sites. And the support offer needs to be precise. If they "offer V2 products to replace V1 products" will that be at no cost to the customer - and will it still apply after the warranty expires?
after warrenty expires if your evo2 v1 breaks Autel doesnt really need to fix it if parts are gone. if you send it in because you crashed it and need to replace a arm or motor that they will have plenty. Now if main board breaks gets wet because it crashed in water. and if they have replacement parts it going to cost you alot to fix. also no its going to cost you to upgrade from v1 to v2

not sure why people worry about warrenty for 3-4 years by that time Autel Evo 3 will be out and Evo2 will be selling on ebay for low price of 599.99 LOL

• Haha
Reactions: PingSpike

Morality has never had anything to do with commerce. The simple fact is that any consumer has the right... the right to do their own research and due diligence to find out the facts, about the equipment and hobby they are interested in, including any info on planned obsolescence.

If an individual is too lazy or obtuse to do so (particularly in a potentially dangerous endevour, such as ours)... perhaps engaging in a safer hobby is called for... pickleball or perhaps, tiddlywinks.

in the usa, we have a much harder time dealing with these types of regulations because they are politicized as you have done in your paragraph. especially when it comes to government telling private business what they can and cannot do and basing it on "the good of the country." the only repair protections that I am aware of that has such legal standing in america is with cars.

Reactions: Lexicon
Just spotted this on FB. I have no reason to believe it isn't valid and it was confirmed by a reliable 2nd party.

"Autel V2 Product Announcement

Dear Supporters,
In order to stay true to Autel Robotics’ commitment to transparency, this notice is to inform you of a few changes coming as a result of the well- documented global chip shortage.
Due to the shortage, we will be unable to produce more of the current version of our EVO II platforms, Smart Controllers, and Live Deck. As a result, we will be releasing a second version of these platforms in the upcoming months. Unfortunately, this means Version 1 aircraft will not work with Version 2 controllers and vice versa, although batteries will remain cross-compatible.

Though brought on by necessity, this change gives us an opportunity to improve on our product. The new version will provide increased transmission stability, significantly enhancing the user experience. It will also enable us to create a more sustainable supply chain so we can continue to get our tools into the hands of those who rely on them.

With this new development in mind, only a limited number of Version 1 Smart Controllers will be manufactured. These will be distributed on a first come, first served basis. If you have any further questions, please reach out to our team at [email protected].

Thank you for your support and understanding. We will do our best to remedy the situation as quickly as possible."
Hi APs, I am posting as I wanted to know about the forums members experience with the online shop "Autel Pilot .com". I placed an order for spare props and car charger, have not received and local post delivery service said to contact sender. I have emailed the sales email address, texted Eric (from sites contact page ) and reached out via WhatsApp. No response from any one. Very disappointed and looks like I can kiss my 300 odd $ goodbye. Would not recommend using them. Of more concern is the fact I put in and paid for a smart controller and requested it cancelled and a refund once I saw the posts re non compatibility issues. Appreciate any suggestions on how to contact them or if this is others experience also.
cheers Chris.

Just so there is no confusion... there is no association or connection between this forum autelpilots.com and the online store operating under the name autelpilot . com

This ends this public service announcement and we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Hi APs, I am posting as I wanted to know about the forums members experience with the online shop "Autel Pilot .com". I placed an order for spare props and car charger, have not received and local post delivery service said to contact sender. I have emailed the sales email address, texted Eric (from sites contact page ) and reached out via WhatsApp. No response from any one. Very disappointed and looks like I can kiss my 300 odd $ goodbye. Would not recommend using them. Of more concern is the fact I put in and paid for a smart controller and requested it cancelled and a refund once I saw the posts re non compatibility issues. Appreciate any suggestions on how to contact them or if this is others experience also.
cheers Chris.
just reach out to PayPal with a dispute and you'll have your refund(s) in a matter of days. or did you figure out how to completely bypass all the excellent protections offer by the evil PayPal.corp and wire money to a merchant that won't even answer your emails. /s

Reactions: G_G

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain